Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Rumor guy, who I like when it comes to Caps stuff, just posted this:

Any guy with rumours in his name is probably not reliable.

I could live with 6x4.5m but it's not ideal.

Ideally I just want to see a 2x3.5 deal. If Wilson proves he's worth it we'll pay him. Wilson's actual value to this team is too obscured to know if a long term high AAV deal is going to be worth it.

Reactions: Ajax1995

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Any guy with rumours in his name is probably not reliable.

I could live with 6x4.5m but it's not ideal.

Ideally I just want to see a 2x3.5 deal. If Wilson proves he's worth it we'll pay him. Wilson's actual value to this team is too obscured to know if a long term high AAV deal is going to be worth it.
And if Wilson “proves” himself, are you willing to pay him 4x$7M? Because that’s probably what he’ll cost then.

As Maaco said, there’s basically only 1 guy in the league who brings what Tom brings... and that’s Tom. He is going to get seriously paid for that fact at some point. Long term now at $4.5 is a good deal.

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
A 2-3 year deal is very risky for Wilson. Once a team figures a player is no longer part of their long-term plans, they tend to spend less effort on player development, which generally equates to a reduction or elimination of PP minutes and 1st line minutes. The final year of the contract, the Caps would almost certainly trade Wilson if GMBM doesn’t think the team has a good shot at the SC.

A 4-year deal carries its own risks as Backstrom and Ovi could be gone in 3 years, and, in 4 years, the Caps could be back in rebuilding mode with an eye on the lottery.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A 2-3 year deal is very risky for Wilson. Once a team figures a player is no longer part of their long-term plans, they tend to spend less effort on player development, which generally equates to a reduction or elimination of PP minutes and 1st line minutes. The final year of the contract, the Caps would almost certainly trade Wilson if GMBM doesn’t think the team has a good shot at the SC.

A 4-year deal carries its own risks as Backstrom and Ovi could be gone in 3 years, and, in 4 years, the Caps could be back in rebuilding mode with an eye on the lottery.

When was the last time this organization did anything like the first paragraph?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
The RW position on the Caps 1st line has been a revolving door, for years.

The Caps have done a pretty good job of locking up their young players long-term; we’ve seen few short term deals for RFAs, and, when we did, those players haven’t stuck around for long (e.g., MoJo, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Tomas Fleischmann, countless others). Hopefully the Caps will be able to lock-up Wilson long-term.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The RW position on the Caps 1st line has been a revolving door, for years.

The Caps have done a pretty good job of locking up their young players long-term; we’ve seen few short term deals for RFAs, and, when we did, those players haven’t stuck around for long (e.g., MoJo, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Tomas Fleischmann, countless others). Hopefully the Caps will be able to lock-up Wilson long-term.

Ok but when was the last time this organization did what you described in that first paragraph? I don't see the fear associated with what you're talking about because there's been no indication they're like that.

If anything they invest too much in-house and overvalue their best prospects, and I've never perceived them as giving up on player development for those guys (whatever that's meant over the years), and they tend to ride UFAs straight on through the playoffs in contract years instead of trading anyone.

If we're talking about guys who were borderline NHLers in the first place, or teams that are sellers as the deadline, then sure. Wilson is not that bubble player and every team that's out of it looks to deal before the TDL.

I don't think anyone should base their salary negotiations off of speculation that the Caps might be rebuilding in 4 years, or that players might get traded. If TW can wangle a limited NTC then good for him, but I don't see it as a necessary defensive measure based on team history.

Wilson is a physical player and long-term deals should always be targets for such players, regardless of any of the above factors. You never know when a big hit can result in a lingering injury or a fight can mean some mangled digits. Always go for the long-term deal instead of "betting on yourself" as a power forward.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad