Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist | Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Wow. Glad they are trying to send a message. Probably going to appeal it though, right? And if so, how many can they take off the suspension?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Those of you quoting me in the other thread acting like I don't get it.

I do understand why he was given a lengthy suspension. I just think 10-15 games would have accomplished the same thing, but in the end it doesn't matter and he needs to learn from this or he'll be sitting whole seasons out before too long.

10 games doesn't send a message like 20 games does. 4th Suspension in 105 games. Could've been 5 with the borderline shot in game 1 of the SCF.

Reactions: DaveG and JBeast

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I agree Wilson deserves 20 games.

But I predicted half that - as did most of HF.

We shouldn't be surprised though - and that's a problem with consistency coming from NHL on discipline.

Again, they HAVE been consistent with repeat offenders. It mimics Raffi Torres

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Move aside the billion dollar potential liability. It is inhuman to STILL have that kind of attitude now that we more fully understand the damage being done to players that they will live with the rest of their lives and will die early from.

I get that you can feel that way before the medical evidence was out there. Today? I hate to say what I think of someone who still believes these are acceptable today.

I am not for taking hitting out of the game. But just like the NFL you can tailor the rules to make these much more rare. Huge suspensions like this one will get the message across for one.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
“Bad opinion”
Wtf???
I wasn't trying to say it was a bad opinion, because I just don't care what his opinion is. I'm just trying to set the table as this, if people would want someone like Don Cherry fired for bad opinions or Barry Melrose for bad opinions, then the same should apply for anyone else in the game, regardless of how big or small you are.

And yeah, he has a bad opinion on this.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
20 games for a clean hit? The NHL is Gutless I knew they went soft but I though the league was run by MEN not cowards

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Move aside the billion dollar potential liability. It is inhuman to STILL have that kind of attitude now that we more fully understand the damage being done to players that they will live with the rest of their lives and will die early from.

I get that you can feel that way before the medical evidence was out there. Today? I hate to say what I think of someone who still believes these are acceptable today.

I am not for taking hitting out of the game. But just like the NFL you can tailor the rules to make these much more rare. Huge suspensions like this one will get the message across for one.

Yeah, they get paid millions of dollars to assume that risk.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly, this will make Wilson obsolete on the ice. What was he even paid for? To be an enforcer basically. Caps fans constantly stated that him playing the way he does changes the games for them.

He can’t play that way anymore and he honestly isn’t a good enough hockey player to overcome not being able to hit and play the way he has.

The problem is, if he continues, his ass will be sitting for half a season next time.
Or he can learn to not lay dirty hits and lay clean hits.

Reactions: Bumpus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Personally I think this is FINALLY a great day for the NHL in terms of player safety. I thought 15-20 would be the perfect example. They actually did it. I'm extremely proud of the NHL.

Growing up in the 90s/early 2000s I would have tried to make this hit a million times as I was a dman. I'd even tell my partner we would run switches if they were weaving into the zone so I could blindside them and my d-partner would swoop behind and take the puck. We would have called it "hockey" but it sickens me to even admit that. These guys have parents, siblings, loved ones, etc. They have a life after hockey and taking this out of the game is the best thing for the players. Remember.. it's the NHLPA. They represent and work with one another even though they are on different teams. I'm very proud that hockey finally made the right call. I'll gladly take a sacrifice of high hits out of the game for the betterment of an individual's life. I'll get over the high flying hits being out of the game. They can still throw awesome checks.

Now... stay consistent with this. Let's make the game safer.

Perfect answer.

No one in this day and age should think otherwise if they care even a small amount for a fellow human being.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't trying to say it was a bad opinion, because I just don't care what his opinion is. I'm just trying to set the table as this, if people would want someone like Don Cherry fired for bad opinions or Barry Melrose for bad opinions, then the same should apply for anyone else in the game, regardless of how big or small you are.

And yeah, he has a bad opinion on this.

Today’s “cancelled” culture is getting people’s entire lives ruined because of opinions. Someone who disagrees with you about a hockey hit doesn’t deserve to be fired, it’s sickening

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
20 games for a clean hit? The NHL is Gutless I knew they went soft but I though the league was run by MEN not cowards
Damn right. REAL MEN love guys getting their brains turned into gravy because some scrub can't control himself on the ice.

I prefer hockey when they just let the players hit each other in the head with sticks. If I can't tell that a guy has suffered some real severe brain damage, I just don't enjoy myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad