Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist | Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Honestly, this will make Wilson obsolete on the ice. What was he even paid for? To be an enforcer basically. Caps fans constantly stated that him playing the way he does changes the games for them.

He can’t play that way anymore and he honestly isn’t a good enough hockey player to overcome not being able to hit and play the way he has.

The problem is, if he continues, his ass will be sitting for half a season next time.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I assumed his roster spot and cap hit still are applicable to the Capitals totals.

Is that correct?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Those of you quoting me in the other thread acting like I don't get it.

I do understand why he was given a lengthy suspension. I just think 10-15 games would have accomplished the same thing, but in the end it doesn't matter and he needs to learn from this or he'll be sitting whole seasons out before too long.
Wouldn't have accomplsihed the same thing. His punishments must become increasingly severe every time he does this kind of crap until he learns his lesson or is out of the NHL.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Surprisingly a great job by the NHL on this one!

I agree Wilson deserves 20 games.

But I predicted half that - as did most of HF.

We shouldn't be surprised though - and that's a problem with consistency coming from NHL on discipline.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What is wrong with you? Take away a mans livelihood because of his hockey opinions?
I don't agree with the firing mob, but his job is hockey opinions, so if someone has bad opinions, then it's only logical that they face backlash. I personally don't care, just saying his hockey opinions are his livelihood.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Wilson trying to argue his case to the NHL

Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Slap-fight_zps47f9c000.gif

The Burning GOAT

Nov 26, 2017
In the coldest place
The NHL wasn't suspending him for 20 games based on how bad the hit was, but because who was doing the hitting. For anyone else, I doubt that would have been 5 games. But when it's been 16 games since your last suspension, and this will be your 4th suspension in 105 games, you need to send a message.

Semi-agreed, although I hope this isn’t just about incident frequency.

Any time something like this happens, obviously malicious or not, someone’s career and post-career wellness are on the line and the risks are extremely high. Repeated disregard for your colleagues’ safety should be rewarded in kind, like is being done now, especially in contact sports where clear code of conduct is critical.

I hope this is directive of DoPS’ approach for the whole season and beyond

Reactions: DaveG and Riptide

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Personally I think this is FINALLY a great day for the NHL in terms of player safety. I thought 15-20 would be the perfect example. They actually did it. I'm extremely proud of the NHL.

Growing up in the 90s/early 2000s I would have tried to make this hit a million times as I was a dman. I'd even tell my partner we would run switches if they were weaving into the zone so I could blindside them and my d-partner would swoop behind and take the puck. We would have called it "hockey" but it sickens me to even admit that. These guys have parents, siblings, loved ones, etc. They have a life after hockey and taking this out of the game is the best thing for the players. Remember.. it's the NHLPA. They represent and work with one another even though they are on different teams. I'm very proud that hockey finally made the right call. I'll gladly take a sacrifice of high hits out of the game for the betterment of an individual's life. I'll get over the high flying hits being out of the game. They can still throw awesome checks.

Now... stay consistent with this. Let's make the game safer.

Very well said. This ruling makes it appear that the NHL is actually trying to change for the better. Very refreshing to see.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Honestly, this will make Wilson obsolete on the ice. What was he even paid for? To be an enforcer basically. Caps fans constantly stated that him playing the way he does changes the games for them.

He can’t play that way anymore and he honestly isn’t a good enough hockey player to overcome not being able to hit and play the way he has.

The problem is, if he continues, his ass will be sitting for half a season next time.

Uh. This is 35 point Tom Wilson. He's EASILY a top 6 winger. HE DOESN'T EVEN GET PP TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad