Confirmed with Link: Toffoli for Sharangovich (Signed @ 2 years $3.1 Million AAV), 2023 3rd round pick (CGY - #80)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like Sharangovich. He's a sniper, a lefty who can skate. Honestly, he fits the mould of guys who have had success with Huberdeau in the past, and also gives me shades of Lindholm when he was traded here. A shakeup could really unlock something.

When I saw the return I was a bit disappointed, but it's disappointment in the league not taking the bait on Toffoli more than disappointment in making this trade if it is the best offer. I think we all know that Toffoli is likely to be much worse next season and beyond than he was this past one, but it would've been nice to sucker another team into paying premium assets for him signed long-term. If we'd been told last offseason (where Toffoli looked like a horrible player signed for two too many years) that he'd be turned into a young, cost-controlled, exciting forward and a pick this off-season without us needing to retain, I think we'd all be pretty happy about that.

I think looking at this swap in a vacuum, taking the third round pick out of the equation, Sharangovich has a decent chance to be on par with what Toffoli would have brought this season, and is obviously a better asset beyond that given that Toffoli would have been gone.

I know some would want to hold him longer if there were no offers, but a) he requested a trade and it would be bad business and b) I remember Cammalleri, who we all thought was gonna be a slam dunk top asset for the deadline, not even garnering a second (unlike Reto Berra). Toffoli playing here after requesting a trade could easily bring his own value down that low next year.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Hello Flames fans.

Came here to post this.

Please take care of our original Yegor, Rango, Shar, Goalvich, Govy, etc...

I think he can easily find a fit into the regular top6 lines within a season depending if he gets his confidence going up again. His release is very sick and deceptive.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Working on the premise that Lindholm and Backlund are both traded I see the Flames remaining centers as Kadri, Dube, and Sharangovich. Old Trevor Lewis just might get another contract after all.
He's better as a winger. I think he'll do well with a change in scenery. He got forced out of top 6 minutes and wasn't really suited for bottom 6 mins. He's an adequate PKer and can score some goals. I wouldn't be surprised if he pots 20 this year. I hope he does tbh.

Reactions: flames23

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I like Sharangovich. He's a sniper, a lefty who can skate. Honestly, he fits the mould of guys who have had success with Huberdeau in the past, and also gives me shades of Lindholm when he was traded here. A shakeup could really unlock something.

When I saw the return I was a bit disappointed, but it's disappointment in the league not taking the bait on Toffoli more than disappointment in making this trade if it is the best offer. I think we all know that Toffoli is likely to be much worse next season and beyond than he was this past one, but it would've been nice to sucker another team into paying premium assets for him signed long-term. If we'd been told last offseason (where Toffoli looked like a horrible player signed for two too many years) that he'd be turned into a young, cost-controlled, exciting forward and a pick this off-season without us needing to retain, I think we'd all be pretty happy about that.

I think looking at this swap in a vacuum, taking the third round pick out of the equation, Sharangovich has a decent chance to be on par with what Toffoli would have brought this season, and is obviously a better asset beyond that given that Toffoli would have been gone.

I know some would want to hold him longer if there were no offers, but a) he requested a trade and it would be bad business and b) I remember Cammalleri, who we all thought was gonna be a slam dunk top asset for the deadline, not even garnering a second (unlike Reto Berra). Toffoli playing here after requesting a trade could easily bring his own value down that low next year.

Besides if we can snatch Unger Sorum with our pick, we have the potential for a Backlund player. It all depends on how SHL develops him for the next two years, and then he needs good development from the Wranglers. Once that happens, in his D+4 he can be a staple for us.

I look forward to Sharangovich blowing the doors off and shutting folks up. And that #80 pick being a diamond :)
Offseason positivity/rose coloured specs.

I'm extremely high on Unger Sorum in that spot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We just traded our best offensive player for a dude that couldn't crack his team's line up in the playoffs and is already 25. This trade just blows
Toffoli is not our best offensive player. He was last year, but he is not, as a manner of speaking, that guy. We know it, and now it seems the league knows it too.

Reactions: Boomstick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Back then Toff had 3 years left on a great contract, now he's two years older, slower and only has 1 year left.

What is not adding up?
If Toffoli continues to play like last year, his TDL rental value should be as good as last time regardless.

Conroy gambled on Sharangovich. We’ll see but I am not holding my breath knowing the quality of Flames pro scouting

Toffoli is not our best offensive player. He was last year, but he is not, as a manner of speaking, that guy. We know it, and now it seems the league knows it too.
Lol considering our best offensive player is untradable

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He might not be the go to guy but he was our only 30 goal scorer, only guy close to ppg, and most nights was one of the few guys worth watching and we turned him into a player that might not be better then Ruzicka. This is a huge L

Reactions: DFF

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Man tough crowd here. Kinda scary when I’m carrying the optimistic take here guys ngl

This trade just looks bad any way you try to slice it. You traded the leading scorer last season for a player you could've acquired with a mid round pick and a 3rd. Nobody seems to mind Sharangovich, it's the fact that him and a 3rd is all you got. Looks bad for the first trade for a GM that some people think shouldn't even have the job.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He might not be the go to guy but he was our only 30 goal scorer, only guy close to ppg, and most nights was one of the few guys worth watching and we turned him into a player that might not be better then Ruzicka. This is a huge L
It's a bigger L if we didn't trade him.

Does it suck that he didn't get more interest around the league? Sure. But at least this trade has the possibility to make the team better. I really do believe Sharangovich will click here.

This trade means more opportunity for the type of guys who can elevate this team above the level it was at this year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's a bigger L if we didn't trade him.

Does it suck that he didn't get more interest around the league? Sure. But at least this trade has the possibility to make the team better. I really do believe Sharangovich will click here.

This trade means more opportunity for the type of guys who can elevate this team above the level it was at this year.
Pretty much this. I think it’s also a case of ppl just flat out overrating a player’s value

Reactions: Boomstick

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Besides if we can snatch Unger Sorum with our pick, we have the potential for a Backlund player.

I'm extremely high on Unger Sorum in that spot.

We absolutely need to draft Felix Unger Sörum with that pick. He has Backlund potential in his prime. It'll take him 2-3 years before he's NHL ready, but I'm extremely high on him.

Say Felix Unger Sorum one more freaking time I dare ya

Sep 13, 2009
So I guess this means the rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it is officially underway? Bring it on!

Last edited:

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Or maybe ppl need to start clawing back expectations lol.

I’ve seen flames fans propose the third overall pick+ for lindholm on cp for example… like ya gl with that.
People are gonna be upset with the returns we’re gonna get for Lindy and Hanifin. But I’ll learn to live with them

Feaster was better than Treliving. Not by a country mile, but he was.
…….Explain

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
People are gonna be upset with the returns we’re gonna get for Lindy and Hanifin. But I’ll learn to live with them

…….Explain

Feaster drafted Gaudreau, didnt hire Gulutzan, signed Hudler instead of Neal or Brouwer. Never brought in toxic players like Kadri, Smith or Neal. That alone makes him better.

Got 1st round picks for both Iginla (after he screwed the team) and Bouw, Tre lost Gaudreau, Brodie and Gio for nothing, paid 1st to lose Monahan.

- Russell for a 5th
- Wideman for a 5th
- Camalleri for Bourque and a 2nd

I don't think Tre has a trade that matches any of these. No disaster trades like losing prime picks for trash like Hamonic and Lazar.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad