Rumor: Toffoli deal looks to be done?

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Our D was absolute trash, edler is a shell of himself and Tanev is made out to be something greater than he is when it comes to ability. One injury to Myers and this team spent like 75% the playoffs in their own zone.

I mean, I wouldn't say Edler is trash. Still a heavy minute-logging top pairing D that still put up 33 points in 59 games...and that's with minimal PP time behind Hughes and the anchor, Myers.

The main issue is Edler will very soon start to decline quickly, and we don't have a replacement for someone to take all those difficult minutes.

Ideally, we would want Hughes to be out Duncan Keith, with Edler and Tanev taking on the roles of Seabrook and Hjalmarsson. The main issue we have is those two are getting up there in age and likely to trend the wrong way, and we have no prospects that can replace their roles.

The key to our success is likely to spend our next couple drafts focusing on defensemen and looking at teams that need to get rid of somebody for expansion.

If Toffoli is signed, our roster looks something like this for next season:

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
x-Gaudette-x
x-Beagle-x/Mckewan

x = Signing/FA/Prospects/RFA needing new contract/Virtanen/Sutter/Motte/Ferland/Eriksson /Roussel

Edler-x
Hughes-x/Myers
x-x/Myers

x = Signing/FA/Prospects/RFA needing new contract/Rafferty/Rathbone/Juolevi/Benn/Tanev/Fantenberg/Stetcher

Demko
x/Markstrom

Ideally, we resign Motte on upfront and get Ferland on LTIR. Management seems to be done with Virtanen, but if he stays, he likely has that #3 RW Spot. Benning likely uses Sutter, Roussel and Eriksson to free up some cap space.

On Defence, we will struggle without Tanev. It will leave all the defensive duty on Edler, and we can't ask for too much at his age. We likely need to re-sign Tanev, or find a suitable replacement. Stetcher looks to be a prime trade contender, but it will depend on how confident Benning is with Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty.

Goaltending, we likely let Markstrom go if he's looking for top dollar. Ideally, we would like to keep him until the TDL, but its likely his last big paycheque, and he has every right to explore the market.

In my opinion, I would try to shop Myers around (will be difficult in the flat cap world), give away some of the bottom 6 contracts with picks, and try to sign more of the key pieces such as Tanev and Markstrom. If we can't get a deal done with Marky, I would try to do a sign and trade, but not sure if Benning will entertain that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Edler is a better all around defender than when he was in his prime putting up better offensive numbers but suspect in his own end.

To say he’s only a “shell of himself” is only true in the sense that his body has far more miles on it at this point in his career.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Feel like its gotta be 6x5. No reason he would stick unless it was a good deal. He wouldve been highly sought by all the teams needing top 6 rw

Kind of sounds like a baseless comment. He's going to play with Pettersson or Horvat full time 5v5, first line PP time, scored PPG while on the Canucks (short sample size but indicative of his usefulness), up and coming contender, Tanner Pearson is on the team... Pettersson even personally asked Benning to get the deal done.

I think it'll be something like 4x5m.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Kind of sounds like a baseless comment. He's going to play with Pettersson or Horvat full time 5v5, first line PP time, scored PPG while on the Canucks (short sample size but indicative of his usefulness), up and coming contender, Tanner Pearson is on the team... Pettersson even personally asked Benning to get the deal done.

I think it'll be something like 4x5m.
Pay is like 90% the most important thing for players. He could choose a team where he could play with some great players, but if hes choosing Vancouver the offer must be more to his liking or pretty close to what he would get on open market. I could see teams offering atleast 5.5 mil and with the lack of quality forward FA he could get paid.

Last edited:

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't say Edler is trash. Still a heavy minute-logging top pairing D that still put up 33 points in 59 games...and that's with minimal PP time behind Hughes and the anchor, Myers.

The main issue is Edler will very soon start to decline quickly, and we don't have a replacement for someone to take all those difficult minutes.

Ideally, we would want Hughes to be out Duncan Keith, with Edler and Tanev taking on the roles of Seabrook and Hjalmarsson. The main issue we have is those two are getting up there in age and likely to trend the wrong way, and we have no prospects that can replace their roles.

The key to our success is likely to spend our next couple drafts focusing on defensemen and looking at teams that need to get rid of somebody for expansion.

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
x-Gaudette-x
x-Beagle-x/Mckewan

x = Signing/FA/Prospects/RFA needing new contract/Virtanen/Sutter/Motte/Ferland/Eriksson /Roussel

Edler-x
Hughes-x/Myers
x-x/Myers

x = Signing/FA/Prospects/RFA needing new contract/Rafferty/Rathbone/Juolevi/Benn/Tanev/Fantenberg/Stetcher

Demko
x/Markstrom

Ideally, we resign Motte on upfront and get Ferland on LTIR. Management seems to be done with Virtanen, but if he stays, he likely has that #3 RW Spot. Benning likely uses Sutter, Roussel and Eriksson to free up some cap space.

On Defence, we will struggle without Tanev. It will leave all the defensive duty on Edler, and we can't ask for too much at his age. We likely need to re-sign Tanev, or find a suitable replacement. Stetcher looks to be a prime trade contender, but it will depend on how confident Benning is with Juolevi, Rathbone and Rafferty.

Goaltending, we likely let Markstrom go if he's looking for top dollar. Ideally, we would like to keep him until the TDL, but its likely his last big paycheque, and he has every right to explore the market.

In my opinion, I would try to shop Myers around (will be difficult in the flat cap world), give away some of the bottom 6 contracts with picks, and try to sign more of the key pieces such as Tanev and Markstrom. If we can't get a deal done with Marky, I would try to do a sign and trade, but not sure if Benning will entertain that.
Edler and Tanev are fine moving forward in lesser roles. If we bring them back as top 4 dmen expect similar results in the playoffs if we make it.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I still think there’s a decent chance he’s back. But it will depend on his demands and how much salary they can move. I think until that happens they can’t really talk numbers with him.
In my ideal scenario we sign Toffoli and Tanev and let Markstrom go. Then sign a vet goalie to split starts with Demko. The goaltending takes a step back but the forwards take a step forward.

This is my best case scenario as well.
Markstrom is the only player who we can replace internally for less money and eventually we'd need to move him to make room for Demko to take the reigns anyways. Now,with Marky being a UFA looking for a big payday and the upcoming ED,it forces our hand sooner rather than later.

As for Tanev,we have one RHS defensive defencemen (Woo) in the system and he's not close to NHL ready,never mind play top paring minutes.I think we'll need Tanev for another 3 years at least unless Benning can make a trade for someone younger.

Toffoli came in and was immediately productive and fit in well with both Pettersson and Horvat so he's definitely a priority.
As a rebuilding team we shouldn't have to be trading for then signing 29 y/o wingers after being terrible for 5 years and should have a prospect pool loaded with them but here we are.
Baertschi,Goldobin,Etem,Granlund,Leipsic,and Dahlen were all traded for and all fizzled.Virtanen,Lind and Gadjovich were the only drafted wingers with top 6 potential and Virtanen is basically a 4th liner and probably gone and the other two are average AHL players in their D+4 seasons.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Madden will outscore Toffoli in his rookie season.

It was a shit trade.

Ok but the Canucks needed help now, if the Canucks were lucky, Madden could be an impact player like Toffoli... so why not just get to Toffoli now?

What good is the Canucks 3rd or 4th best prospect in the playoffs when the Canucks need a top 6 winger who can score?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He’s already slow so he’s gonna be painful to watch once he loses more speed with age. I know they paid a lot to acquire him but I’d go 3 years max and pay a bit higher AAV since he wants to be in Vancouver.

I’m just praying it’s 4 years and not 5

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He’s already slow so he’s gonna be painful to watch once he loses more speed with age. I know they paid a lot to acquire him but I’d go 3 years max and pay a bit higher AAV since he wants to be in Vancouver.

I agree, I think there’s a strong chance that they will regret this one if it’s 5 years or more.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Our D was absolute trash, edler is a shell of himself and Tanev is made out to be something greater than he is when it comes to ability. One injury to Myers and this team spent like 75% the playoffs in their own zone.

You think out of the five players on the ice, being pinned down in their own zone only comes down to the two defenseman?

Successful teams have a Kesler, Bergeron types. We don't even have a Hansen type.

The Canucks are what a team looks like when you have zero defensive forwards.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
You think out of the five players on the ice, being pinned down in their own zone only comes down to the two defenseman?

Successful teams have a Kesler, Bergeron types. We don't even have a Hansen type.

I think the Canucks are set at C in the top 6 for the foreseeable future. Finding adequate defensemen should be the priority.

Bottom 6 can pretty much always be improved but we are limited in the moves we can make due to the cap, that's why I'd prefer fixing the defense first. What forwards would you target this off-season for that defensive role?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Luckily for Vancouver you can find a defensive center in the draft around 15-30+ and they usually are swiss-knife types (or whatever that phrase is lol). Also isnt hard moving the center to wing

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
There were early rumours last week that Pettersson would want to be looped in.

The players have really bonded well, and we know how nice Swedes are. What if Pettersson tells Benning that he will take less to help fit everyone?

Technically they can resign Pettersson as soon as July 1st IIRC, same with Hughes.

I want to see Jim pull some crazy moves of resigning everyone with minor moves to move out Eriksson and Virtanen......

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Did not look slow in the regular season, He was hurt in the playoffs.
Not a fast player, but not a slug.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Madden will outscore Toffoli in his rookie season.

It was a shit trade.
Is it because Madden will be rookie in the NHL only when Toffoli can barely skate? If so, that might be the case.

Looking at the immediate future, Madden is going to score roughly same amount of points in the AHL as Toffoli has goals in the NHL next season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
x-Gaudette-x
x-Beagle-x/Mckewan

Edler-x
Hughes-x/Myers
x-x/Myers

Demko
x/Markstrom

What a disaster. How does Benning still have a job? I can't remember if I've ever seen a team emerging from a rebuild with this many bad contracts.

Signing Toffoli for 5x5 or less is fine, we know he fits, but just about none of the UFA acquisitions have fit. Most of the deals were panned the moment they went public. You're already praying to unload Myers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad