Rumor: Toffoli deal looks to be done?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Where did you read this? I've seen no reporting on Tanev one way or the other, which I suppose might indicate there's little contact between the parties, but no one's reported that no conversations are taking place as far as I've seen.

the silence fuels the idea the canucks are trying to make a trade to fill a right dman slot and in the process ease their cap situation a little. i believe it is more likely they are trying to upgrade stecher but tanev will go if they land a big fish.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
My personal opinion is that we will negotiate resigning tanev, still. Benning has been on record saying we’d like him back. He was good for Hughes (and vice versa). I feel like tanev wants to come back too. We still have about 2-2.5 weeks before free agency. Hoping the toffoli signing will be a domino affect.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Short answer is, he won’t.
But something has to give with all the bad contracts that still have at least a year to run. We can maybe afford two out of the three of Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom. I think if the contract discussions go poorly with Markstrom they’ll move on to Tanev. But he’s clearly third on the list. At almost 31 with his injury history I would be reluctant to go too long term. But he’s been a great guy to play with Quinn Hughes.

That D will be really bad without Tanev. I think it is a big mistake if they can't bring back a top 4 D that is solid defensively.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That D will be really bad without Tanev. I think it is a big mistake if they can't bring back a top 4 D that is solid defensively.
I still think there’s a decent chance he’s back. But it will depend on his demands and how much salary they can move. I think until that happens they can’t really talk numbers with him.
In my ideal scenario we sign Toffoli and Tanev and let Markstrom go. Then sign a vet goalie to split starts with Demko. The goaltending takes a step back but the forwards take a step forward.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Question for Van fans. Is it still assumed that they will only sign one of Tanev and Toffoli? Does this mean Tanev is probably hitting the open market?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Question for Van fans. Is it still assumed that they will only sign one of Tanev and Toffoli? Does this mean Tanev is probably hitting the open market?
I think we sign two out of the three of Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev. If Toffoli is basically done then it’s one of two of Markstrom and Tanev. Signing Markstrom is complicated as the Canucks want to keep their options open between Markstrom and Demko with the expansion draft.

Reactions: qqaz and Cogburn

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No. At this point most Canucks fans assume Markstrom will sign elsewhere and that the team may be negotiating with other players with this in mind.

Reactions: qqaz

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!! Toffoli 5x5.5!!!

does this mean we have to keep Pearson now?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Feel like its gotta be 6x5. No reason he would stick unless it was a good deal. He wouldve been highly sought by all the teams needing top 6 rw

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I really liked the Toffoli addition.
Top six is looking great for the first time in a long while with the additions of Toffoli, Pearson and JT Miller in the last year and a bit.
Now let’s fix that D!

The D is good.

It's miraculous what defensive capable forwards do for a team; that's what this team is lacking IMO.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
The D is good.

It's miraculous what defensive capable forwards do for a team; that's what this team is lacking IMO.
Our D was absolute trash, edler is a shell of himself and Tanev is made out to be something greater than he is when it comes to ability. One injury to Myers and this team spent like 75% the playoffs in their own zone.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad