Rumor: Toffoli deal looks to be done?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
3 Key UFA’s for the Canucks: Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli.

Canucks firm at 4x5M without NMC for Markstrom, not going to happen. Tanev is going to Pittsburgh. Toffoli is the only player remaining, anything 4 years or under with a cap hit under 5M is fine. Nice hands, battles hard and is the opposite of a perimeter player.

Reactions: David71

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
An LE buyout is fine too. You save nothing this season, but gain $3m next season and then its 667k for 2 years...that's an easy BO
If we save nothing this season on a LE buyout then stick him in Utica and save a million then buy him out next year maybe best.

Reactions: hmc1987

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So....no news yet?
You know Benning. He likes to kick the can down the road until the road ends. I think the Canucks need to dump a couple toxic contracts (Baer and Sutter) before they will sign any of their UFAs.

Reactions: Cogburn

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks waiting on Markstrom. He is 1st prioriy so it will determine their cap space if he signs or not..

Tofolli I think will be signed regardless but i think Tanev will be gone if Marky re- signs.
I heard Marky was given a drop dead date. Not sure when the date is though.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Rick Dhaliwal reported on a radio bit this morning that Toffoli deal is waiting on the Canucks to clear out money, and that the Canucks are trying to get Markstrom done first too.

Last edited:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Rick Dhaliwal reported on a radio bit this morning that Toffoli deal is waiting on the Canucks to clear out money, and that the Canucks are trying to get Markstrom done first too.

Committing both money and term to Tanev is a mistake in my opinion. He is already starting to show signs of decline.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I imagine if this actually gets done before toffoli officially becomes a UFA it's because the offer is on the high side.

With the exception of Horvat Benning has a pretty terrible record of signing players. An early UFA signing has all the ingredients to be bad.

Toffoli is a good addition to this team but I just really hope we don't overpay like we always do.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

This was always going to be the problem with so many bad contracts. Free agents finally want to sign in Vancouver but the team doesn't have the cap space. Now they'll have to give up good young players to get rid of the dead weight. I'm not super for or against Benning, but this was obvious to everyone but him when those deals were made.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Pagnotta is pretty much Eklund status... basically recycles 2-3 day old news....

if the Canucks lose Toffoli that would be catastrophic based on what they gave up.

Madden plus picks...

To be he is a must sign even more than Markstrom.

No, he’s clearly got contacts. Eklund is just some goof making shit up.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pagnotta is pretty much Eklund status... basically recycles 2-3 day old news....

if the Canucks lose Toffoli that would be catastrophic based on what they gave up.

Madden plus picks...

Sunk cost fallacy.

I think the Canucks should sign Toffoli, assuming it's a reasonable contract, but what was spent for him is irrelevant at this point (aside from the extra pick if he signs).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Madden plus picks...

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you about Pagnotta, but the past couple seasons he's actually been very accurate about a lot of the rumors he's broke.

Reactions: Nucker42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad