Rumor: Toffoli deal looks to be done?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I have given more than my fair share of Jim Benning is awful posts, but trading a Cap Dump, Tyler Madden a 2nd and a 2020 4th rounder for Tyler Toffoli is not one of them.

Of course, assuming he signs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have given more than my fair share of Jim Benning is awful posts, but trading a Cap Dump, Tyler Madden a 2nd and a 2020 4th rounder for Tyler Toffoli is not one of them.

Of course, assuming he signs.
I’m not a Benning fan either. But revamping 50% of the top 6 in the last year plus a bit at the cost of a first (Miller), Madden and a second and a fourth (Toffoli) and Gudbranson (Tanner Pearson) has been some of his best work.
His work on the D unfortunately hasn’t been as good.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Arguably are 2nd best prospect and at worse 3rd. Who's better than Madden other than Pod and arguably Hoglander?
I’d stay he was our third best behind Podzolkin and Hoglander. But fifth most important as he projected as a winger where the team is deep. So I’d have him behind Rathbone and Juolevi in terms of value to the organization.
But he’s definitely a good prospect which is why I said it was a good deal for both teams.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Is Vancouver not planning on bringing Tanev back?
Unless Benning has another D signing up his sleeve, this would be a mistake for Vancouver unless Tanev is asking for too much term or cap. I could see Rafferty replacing Stetcher, but we have no one that can replace Tanev in our system.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Apparently basically no conversations, I think he is gone.
Where did you read this? I've seen no reporting on Tanev one way or the other, which I suppose might indicate there's little contact between the parties, but no one's reported that no conversations are taking place as far as I've seen.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
3 x 4.5m is what i would like to see at most, but i am resigned to more term. honestly i think the league should stop handing out term to late 20s wingers. they seem to turn into retirement contracts about 80% of the time.

i can see why toffoli and his agent are in a hurry. in a soft market, toffoli may find himself dropping down a weight class.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That seems like a big mistake to me :dunno: How will he be replaced?
Short answer is, he won’t.
But something has to give with all the bad contracts that still have at least a year to run. We can maybe afford two out of the three of Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom. I think if the contract discussions go poorly with Markstrom they’ll move on to Tanev. But he’s clearly third on the list. At almost 31 with his injury history I would be reluctant to go too long term. But he’s been a great guy to play with Quinn Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad