Speculation: Toews

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Kane's game has gotten better because he has continually worked on it, he won the Hart trophy and would most likely won two in a row if not for injury.

Toews gets his deserved criticism not just for his lack of production but for his poor effort and lack of compete for the past half decade or so which is probably magnified a bit due to how overhyped he was earlier in his career with the Captain Serious thing.
I would think it fairly obvious as to why Kane has maintained while the likes of Seabrook, Keith, Hossa and in particular Toews have not and it isn't because Kane has worked hard on his skill set per se .. Kane has always played his game without any primary contact, no concussions and no hard physical minutes of banging it out game in and game out. Repeated hits take their toll on the body. For some the body can take more than others but Kaner hasn't really ever had to sustain physical abuse. I can only remember the one hit that cracked his collar bone .. I'm sure there are a few other hits but by and large Kane is a master at avoiding any real contact.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I would think it fairly obvious as to why Kane has maintained while the likes of Seabrook, Keith, Hossa and in particular Toews have not and it isn't because Kane has worked hard on his skill set per se .. Kane has always played his game without any primary contact, no concussions and no hard physical minutes of banging it out game in and game out. Repeated hits take their toll on the body. For some the body can take more than others but Kaner hasn't really ever had to sustain physical abuse. I can only remember the one hit that cracked his collar bone .. I'm sure there are a few other hits but by and large Kane is a master at avoiding any real contact.
To me, the really surprising decliner of the group has been Keith. I thought he was going to be a Lidstrom-level freak that kept up his Norris level play into his late 30s.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Both points are correct. The type of game Kane plays has a lot to do with him still being effective into his mid-30s, while all of the others dropped off early.
Kane is the outlier from the Hawks group, not Toews. Keith and Hossa just got old

Toews
Sharp
Bolland
Seabrook

all lost it fairly young, in their late 20s and early 30s.

Actually Sharp remained consistent throughout his career until the final two seasons when he turned 35 when he just tanked.

Reactions: Drumman44

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't buy for a second that Toews doesn't work his ass off. But injuries, especially head injuries, linger and take a step off both physically and psychologically. I'm sure he's frustrated with his level of play and where the organization is at and is going, and his participation in three Cups has more than earned him the right to make mild complaints at the very least. As for what his trade value is, I have no freaking clue whatsoever.

Regarding Keith, I think he just tapped his longterm reserves too deeply in 2015 and was never able to recover.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Never said his AAV was too high or that the contracts were a mistake. I’m saying he didn’t play up to his new contract.

And no he was not providing 1C production from the 2015-2017 seasons. He was a 50-60ish point player making $10.5
So what should he have signed for provided he just won 3 cups at a 6.3 cap. 8.5? Hes still not playing to 8.5 and the hawks still would not have won anything. whats the difference. The cap unexpectant didn't go up, he declined earlier than what most thought. I have zero doubt in my mind Toews is trying his hardest to be the best player he can be. Personally hes in a wayyy worse situation than the organization even his biggest fans are turning against him because he got paid what he deserved at the time.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So us Toews realky being honest with himself?

If we give him a mulligan for this seadon forctgecexcuse he coukd notvworkboutvproperly this past summer due to his yar off and tKibgvtine last summer to Barry work off tge ristcand still not able to get back to 'proper" play shape,then tgexexcuse has got tobrun out after this summer when we assume hechas worked himself finally to tge level wheel heviscresdy to resume "prooer" summer workouts at the required level to get to top form and a reboundc season.

No more excuses or reasons he cannot get back to expected production and defending norms ....no reasons renaining for him to not show his "best hockey"...EXCEOT if he cannot get back to proper kev form then he must face Reality that he is over the cliff and cannot get back.

In that case the honorable thing to do woukd becto admit it...and after trying in tge first few months of next season,either just retiring or announcing hexwull after the season...that it woukd be his last.

Ok..he owes himself and we fans owe him 1 just sumner ifv"proper training" to find out IF he can bounce back to exoectex form or to still be stick i the mud.

If he gets back to form we still shoukdctrade him unless he offers a huge discount on a shortter(3 yrvonly( extention if hecwants to waivecand take a better shot at a Cup than sticking through a re-build.
If hexwantscti stay at a huge discount then ok ...

But he may need to accept a reduced role as 3C when it is determined Reichel is ready to replace him at 2C.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
So what should he have signed for provided he just won 3 cups at a 6.3 cap. 8.5? Hes still not playing to 8.5 and the hawks still would not have won anything. whats the difference. The cap unexpectant didn't go up, he declined earlier than what most thought. I have zero doubt in my mind Toews is trying his hardest to be the best player he can be. Personally hes in a wayyy worse situation than the organization even his biggest fans are turning against him because he got paid what he deserved at the time.

No one blames him for taking the money. But if you take the money and don't perform, you're going to hear it. It's the nature of the beast.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Honestly, I think just making the cap even with a small add. Monahan+3rd and an interesting player they were going to waive anyway for Toews@$6M
I think the urgency to be rid of Monahan is to re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk so adding Toews doesn't do shit for them unless you're taking back Lucic or something.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think the urgency to be rid of Monahan is to re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk so adding Toews doesn't do shit for them unless you're taking back Lucic or something.
Toews is still a better player than Monahan at this point.

But yeah, if they're trying to do that, then it really doesn't work.

Lucic only has one more year

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
This is such an odd post, as if the market value of the franchise is a metric from which we fans derive gratification.
hes earned his money. you earn gratification from winning they would not be winning if he made 8.5 or 10.5. so why complain about his cap hit? he deserved the contract when he got it. i dont know what else there is to complain about.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Toews is still a better player than Monahan at this point.

But yeah, if they're trying to do that, then it really doesn't work.

Lucic only has one more year

What about

Toews at 50% for Lucic, Monahan, Villamaki, a first and a second?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Not at all what I said.
Can you expand then? What was the contextual meaning when you said that is bizarre people bootlick for billionaires? I was under the impression you were referring to Hawksrule saying "its bizarre to talk about toews impact on organizational success" since that is what you quoted.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I think if toews is ready to go you offer every team toews at 50% if you get any takers that are reasonable you take it. Monahan is a great example if toews is still better it doesnt matter take it and and show its time to start fresh. Full tank and do right by one of the best players in Chicago history. Do not Sosa this situation over one rebuilding year.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Can you expand then? What was the contextual meaning when you said that is bizarre people bootlick for billionaires? I was under the impression you were referring to Hawksrule saying "its bizarre to talk about toews impact on organizational success" since that is what you quoted.
It happens in sports and life aplenty. I'm all for players getting paid every last dollar. Wasn't accusing you of doing so if that's how it came off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad