Speculation: Toews

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Just as much as Kane, with his IDGAF attitude when it comes to defensive play, and it rubbing off on our younger players.
No, I don't think so.

Kane wants to be involved with the rebuild, and still plays at a high level.

I think his influence on the young guys is positive.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Guy speaks with honesty, and if we as fans are pissed off with what has happened to this team, imagine what someone with real ties to the organization, who has dedicated his entire career to the team, and gave it his all every shift to win, feels.

This team has turned into a dumpster fire, and it's not Toews fault. The Pens were still a damn good team when they were missing Crosby and Malkin, so I dont want to hear how he is a major/main reason why this team sucks.
Since that $10.5m AAV contract kicked in...

511 Regular Season games, 158 goals scored, 400 points. So over an 82 game season that amounts to a 64 point pace and 25 goals. He was paid to be much more dominant than that and at the most crucial position in the game nonetheless. I think it's fair to assume his body has been breaking down on him due to the HoF career he gave us from 07-15, but since then his contract and lack of production were major reasons for our lack of success. Obviously not the only factor but a significant one. And clearly not comparable to the Penguins who've had Crosby be an essential 90pt 1C and Malkin at his worst be a few points shy of PPG in his injury riddled career.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Is he the coach? It was a problem team wide when Q was still here. Yeesh. That's a take.
Didnt people (and players) credit Hossa quite a bit for showing the younger guys how to compete night in and night out? It goes the opposite way too. If players see another player getting away with coasting every other shift, why should they work their bag off every shift?

Of course kane wants to stay, give him a coach that demands 100% work ethic every shift and see how long he wants to stick around.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

511 Regular Season games, 158 goals scored, 400 points. So over an 82 game season that amounts to a 64 point pace and 25 goals. He was paid to be much more dominant than that and at the most crucial position in the game nonetheless. I think it's fair to assume his body has been breaking down on him due to the HoF career he gave us from 07-15, but since then his contract and lack of production were major reasons for our lack of success. Obviously not the only factor but a significant one. And clearly not comparable to the Penguins who've had Crosby be an essential 90pt 1C and Malkin at his worst be a few points shy of PPG in his injury riddled career.
I'm not sure what you are arguing Re: Pens. I said they played damn well without both of those players in the lineup. So saying Chicago is garbage because of Toews being not so great is dumb. Many teams have played very well while their star players arent even on the ice. Chicago is garbage with or without Toews.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Didnt people (and players) credit Hossa quite a bit for showing the younger guys how to compete night in and night out? It goes the opposite way too. If players see another player getting away with coasting every other shift, why should they work their bag off every shift?

Of course kane wants to stay, give him a coach that demands 100% work ethic every shift and see how long he wants to stick around.
Definitely. Q sucked alright.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm not sure what you are arguing Re: Pens. I said they played damn well without both of those players in the lineup. So saying Chicago is garbage because of Toews being not so great is dumb. Many teams have played very well while their star players arent even on the ice. Chicago is garbage with or without Toews.
Having your highest paid player at your most important position play below value for his contract is a death sentence if you're trying to win a Cup. You know what i'm arguing so why the difficulty acknowledging it?

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

GREAT post. And that 64 pt/pace was when he was actually in the lineup. Plus, we expected a stout defensive game which has diminished considerably over the last couple seasons. Toews was paid to be a SUPERSTAR which he has failed to deliver upon. So whenever he talks about the team's lack of success and rebuilding and trading his friends, he needs to look in the mirror. I know people will defend him by talking about injuries and illnesses but the bottom line is the bottom line and the Hawks have not won a single playoff round since the 1988 extensions kicked in.

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So that addresses the first part of my post.

How about the part where I question your frequent outrage over what you perceive to be “personal attacks”, but then feel it’s okay to call posters in this thread “vegetables?”
Look, when someone, anyone responds to a Toew's honest statement with "#NotMyCaptain" it makes me furious. I stand by my statement. This guy has played out his heart and soul for this org. He deserves better! Much better!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

If someone is as consistently elite offensively as Kane is/was/and will be, their defensive responsibilities become less important. Again, you know this. You've watched the Hawks during the T & K era.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Having your highest paid player at your most important position play below value for his contract is a death sentence if you're trying to win a Cup. You know what i'm arguing so why the difficulty acknowledging it?
No one is talking about winning a Cup. I'm talking about just being a playoff team/a good team. The Pens were a playoff team without Crosby and Malkin evenplaying a game earlier this year. They play pretty important positions.

So tell me, why isnt Chicago a good team with Toews on the ice even playing below the level he should be at, should they not be at least be average even when their #1C is out with an injury or something?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If someone is as consistently elite offensively as Kane is/was/and will be, their defensive responsibilities become less important. Again, you know this. You've watched the Hawks during the T & K era.
Not really, you just learn to accept it. When you are surrounded by other great players that do give 100%, 100% of the time, it less of a worry. When your best player is the vet on the team and the young guys look up to him, it becomes a major problem.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He played the same exact way under him. Wasn't a problem then. Shouldn't be a problem now. Kane is special. Apples and garden hoses.
They also had Hossa, Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, etc for other players to look up to and learn from. It wasnt a problem because he had layers of players that did the dirty work for him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Johnny Coubtry Cub wants to pout and leave...sayonara.

If he feels like the Hawks or the NHL owe him another Cupor contender winning team for his wonderful performance in the almost 6 seasons has played of his 8 year $10.5/ yr. deal (he gets a mulligan for his 1yr off due to his fatigue syndrome illness) he is full of himself.

Hw never was the same after Machu Picchu in summer of 2015 when he hadxalreadycachievedc3Cups and was voted tge best alk round pkayer in hockey...Then 2 seasonsvofv"off hockey" thennsome average hockey with 1 very exceljebtcsesson only plus a very short starribgvbitvof time in the bubble....Overall not much return on that big investment the Hawks made thinking he could duplicate his run upto and including thatv3rd Cup.

He has failed to do that even giving him the mulligan for a year off.

Sure has 1 yr. To go to redeem his career without tarnishing the legend...But now he may be leaning on quite g the team(demanding a trade ir being agreabllevto waive his NMC if he can get outta re-buikd city.

But ratger than sticking it out and mentoring the yutes nextcsesdon he would rather now think of getting out ofvtown?

Some Caotain...Some leader.

Sens me first/Coubtry Club entitled to me.

He SHOULD have at least not shot his mouth off agaivst the-rebuild or the departure of his pal Hagel..

Alk I get from his innuendo is that hevthinks he can dictatecteM direction and if they do not kijevit ,he gone.

Who does he think he is ?

Spoiled Brat...but even IF these are his true feelings...shut up and do not go public giving no your disapproval...thatcshow he has no more tact which he always was credited with in the success years.

Sure losing Greystone hom...but he is not realistic.. dod not realize his cap is part of the problem...especially if he is producing T 50% of expected points and at less than a 3rdvofvhis expected goals and being a negative player now in the plus/minus.

Rather than givev opinions to the press he should havec hut his mouth...re -dedicated himself ...and emerge back to a level hecwas known to give that is worth hos pay level.

But all this country clubbers van do is b**ch and pout....and "feel" sorry for his current situation.

Prediction: Collect his big fat signing bonus in July then high-tail it out to another teM to collect the remaining $2.9million to his bank account with a better team next season.

God Riddance.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No one is talking about winning a Cup. I'm talking about just being a playoff team/a good team. The Pens were a playoff team without Crosby and Malkin evenplaying a game earlier this year. They play pretty important positions.

So tell me, why isnt Chicago a good team with Toews on the ice even playing below the level he should be at, should they not be at least be average even when their #1C is out with an injury or something?
We're talking about two different things. Toews' contract and level of play is a different issue than Bowman & Co.'s lack of ability to construct a good team.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2