Speculation: Toews

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Toews has become a lazy player over his latest contract it rough to see.. unfortunately his attitude/character flaws become a bit more glaring with his drop in play as the whining/pouting increase.

In contrast to Kane who is always working hard and striving to get better and be the best he can it not a good look for Toews.

I believe a breakup would be best for Toews and the Hawks but I don't really see anyone taking him and we'll just have to wait it out

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He deserves better! Much better!
Better?! Better than what? Receiving at least 35M that he hasn't earned, you want better than that?

He's currently unmovable and insufferable every time he opens his yap.

Remember the days when Team Toews, run by Ms. Gilbert, said all the right things (in English and French) did all the right things and preferred to let his play do the talking? Now not so much.

See, once you get paid, if you're the type, you can do and say whatever you want. If you're the type.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Toews can find any takers at max retention, Chicago should be more than willing to set him free. I personally doubt his contract is movable without Chicago adding, so my guess is he plays out the contract one more year, and that's that.
And to be perfectly honest....if Toews isn't committed to playing the game at 100 percent, he should retire. And mainly because of his multiple concussions. I know he would love to play the game into his forties but it's not going to happen - he's set for life with his brains intact.

However, who knows what is going through Toews' mind at this time. No question a change of scenery could be the best thing for him if he wants to carry on like so many veteran players have done before him (it's a long list, Iginla comes to mind).
But one thing is certain: it's not easy to admit that you need to retire, especially when you aren't much past 30.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I understand his frustration and perhaps Bowman was trying to appease him with last season’s moves. Regardless, he is a shell of his old self and is perhaps worth $3mm currently. I also see him as immovable and we will probably have to ride it out and listen to his complaining for another year. I loved old Toews but this one is pretty hard to listen to. I get he wants to win but him not seeing the team around him is pretty poor and in need of a rebuild is either tone deaf or selfish. What is sad is I will be happy to see him leave/retire when his contract is up because I think his demeanor is not good for young players or the current roster. I would like him happy and healthy and that isn’t happening here.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I understand his frustration and perhaps Bowman was trying to appease him with last season’s moves. Regardless, he is a shell of his old self and is perhaps worth $3mm currently. I also see him as immovable and we will probably have to ride it out and listen to his complaining for another year. I loved old Toews but this one is pretty hard to listen to. I get he wants to win but him not seeing the team around him is pretty poor and in need of a rebuild is either tone deaf or selfish. What is sad is I will be happy to see him leave/retire when his contract is up because I think his demeanor is not good for young players or the current roster. I would like him happy and healthy and that isn’t happening here.
Brutal post. Disrespectful, if you ask me. And it's perfect that MM likes it.

You guys brag about our 3 Cups and then post this shit about the team captain in those years? Shameful.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Brutal post. Disrespectful, if you ask me. And it's perfect that MM likes it.

You guys brag about our 3 Cups and then post this shit about the team captain in those years? Shameful.
I said I loved old Toews so not sure where you are coming from with the second part of your statement. Pretty much everything else was current. So learn the read before coming at me.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Toews has become a lazy player over his latest contract it rough to see.. unfortunately his attitude/character flaws become a bit more glaring with his drop in play as the whining/pouting increase.

In contrast to Kane who is always working hard and striving to get better and be the best he can it not a good look for Toews.

I believe a breakup would be best for Toews and the Hawks but I don't really see anyone taking him and we'll just have to wait it out
Kane is a rink rat and loves the game but does not work to be better otherwise he wouldn’t be trying to pull the same BS over handling and hanging on to the puck and same declining PP

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I said I loved old Toews so not sure where you are coming from with the second part of your statement. Pretty much everything else was current. So learn the read before coming at me.
Well, perhaps you need to be consistent.

You loved "old Toews" and suddenly you don't because he isn't playing up to your expectations .... sounds like a fickle fan to me.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015

You loved "old Toews" and suddenly you don't because he isn't playing up to your expectations .... sounds like a fickle fan to me.
Sounds like someone who watches his game and accepts who he is NOW. Quit living in the past. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious and if someone is butthurt over it….it is their problem not mine.

Maybe one day you can tell us what it was like living with the dinosaurs.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sounds like someone who watches his game and accepts who he is NOW. Quit living in the past. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious and if someone is butthurt over it….it is their problem not mine.

Maybe one day you can tell us what it was like living with the dinosaurs.
Nice deflection. No excuse for your ignorance of not respecting the guy who led the greatest teams in Hawks' history to 3 Cups. But, carry on.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
There should be a market for Toews at 1 year 5.25m...that's the going rate for a good 3C in the market, so for a contender that doesn't want to commit to term for a comparable center in UFA market then Toews is a very interesting piece, just wouldn't expect much return assuming his list is pretty slim...Saad had a year left at about the same cap hit after Stan retained some money and the return was Zadorov, Keith had some term left and went for a 3rd and Caleb Jones, Toews is gone this summer if he wants to go because teams will be there lined up for the right price

Reactions: BobbyJet

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Nice deflection. No excuse for your ignorance of not respecting the guy who led the greatest teams in Hawks' history to 3 Cups. But, carry on.
Commenting on his poor play has zero to do with respect. You bringing up the 3 cups over and over is tired and shows you just live in the past. 7 years ago.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
hard to feel sorry for toews when his commitment was question numerous times in recent years...remember when boyle just flat out said on a hawks talk podcast that kane was acting more like a captain than toews...and then some of the ovy video game controller moments, complaining to laz about direction of team every offseason, just move on already

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
hard to feel sorry for toews when his commitment was question numerous times in recent years...remember when boyle just flat out said on a hawks talk podcast that kane was acting more like a captain than toews...and then some of the ovy video game controller moments, complaining to laz about direction of team every* offseason, just move on already
Honestly, I think Toews expects excellence from himself and he hasn't been able to do it for years now, whether it be through injuries or other health issues. When you set high standards for yourself and you can't reach them, it takes a mental toll. He can't do it anymore and he's in denial.

Shitting on Kane and Toews for lack of effort or whatnot is wrong. Kaner has clearly worked hard to elevate his game once he matured, and Toews just can't do it anymore.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Commenting on his poor play has zero to do with respect. You bringing up the 3 cups over and over is tired and shows you just live in the past. 7 years ago.
Oh FFS.... I seldom if ever bring up the 3 Cups. In fact, I've argued that they are irrelevant now and have been for a few years. And now you're trying to tell me that I keep bringing it up. LOL I brought it up once because of your disrespect of Toews. You are in the twilight zone, my friend.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

I mean the old Toews at least tried, put in some effort.

The new Toews does not and hasn't for quite sometime...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Honestly, I think Toews expects excellence from himself and he hasn't been able to do it for years now, whether it be through injuries or other health issues. When you set high standards for yourself and you can't reach them, it takes a mental toll. He can't do it anymore and he's in denial.

Shitting on Kane and Toews for lack of effort or whatnot is wrong. Kaner has clearly worked hard to elevate his game once he matured, and Toews just can't do it anymore.
at one point it seemed like toews checked out on hockey and that was around the time a mouthpiece for org questioned his commitment as captain, it was a fair question at that time

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kane is a rink rat and loves the game but does not work to be better otherwise he wouldn’t be trying to pull the same BS over handling and hanging on to the puck and same declining PP

He obviously does, just players are who they are... There a reason why Kane's game has improved even playing with all the plugs he has had while Jonathan's game fell off a cliff when he doesn't have stars on his line.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He obviously does, just players are who they are... There a reason why Kane's game has improved even playing with all the plugs he has had while Jonathan's game fell off a cliff when he doesn't have stars on his line.
You're claims of when Toews game fell off or didn't try was when he was one of the top of the league producers of chances and corsi still, he had no finish on his line yeah. That production lack is not compete lack. But when he was let off playing D and with Kane it rose back up, until he actually really did physically fall off now health wise.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1