Speculation: Toews

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He seems unhappy, but I don't even begin to know what would happen to him regarding a trade; his contract would be tough to move, and the return wouldn't be much.

Even with half retention, $5m (ish) is a lot for a guy who has struggled like he has this year. Sure, he's been better since January, but not enough to warrant a playoff team to allocate that much to him.

I swear I keep saying this in regards to our players with multi-million dollar cap hits, but if we were to trade him, we'd have to trade his trash contract for another. Playoff teams probably value him closer to $3m, so you'd need at least $2m coming back along with the retention. Now if he'd be willing to go to a handful of teams, then we'd be looking at a potential deal with some value coming back; if he's focused on just one or two teams, we'd have to do all that just to get back a 2nd/3rd and B/C level prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He seems unhappy, but I don't even begin to know what would happen to him regarding a trade; his contract would be tough to move, and the return wouldn't be much.

Even with half retention, $5m (ish) is a lot for a guy who has struggled like he has this year. Sure, he's been better since January, but not be enough to warrant a playoff team to allocate that much to him.

I swear I keep saying this in regards to our players with multi-million dollar cap hits, but if we were to trade him, we'd have to trade his trash contract for another. Playoff teams probably value him closer to $3m, so you'd need at least $2m coming back along with the retention. Now if he'd be willing to go to a handful of teams, then we'd be looking at a potential deal with some value coming back; if he's focused on just one or two teams, we'd have to do all that just to get back a 2nd/3rd and B/C level prospect.

He'll be a rental this summer given contract expires after the 22-23 season, Hawks retain 50% and take on picks and/or prospects and they save 5.25m per, same with Kane. Thinking there is no way he returns more than Keith given health concerns and drop in production. Some GM might fork up something of value for him just on the resume alone, that has to be the hope here otherwise just force him to play or retire

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Seems he wants out. Offer him up with 50% retained at the draft. Hawks still have one retention spot left, so they can do it as soon as trading opens back up.

It will suck to see him go, but hearing this shit constantly probably sucks worse. There’s nothing sentimental about forcing him to stay around and talk about how miserable he is.

If Keith can end up elsewhere, so can Toews.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Seems he wants out. Offer him up with 50% retained at the draft. Hawks still have one retention spot left, so they can do it as soon as trading opens back up.

It will suck to see him go, but hearing this shit constantly probably sucks worse. There’s nothing sentimental about forcing him to stay around and talk about how miserable he is.

If Keith can end up elsewhere, so can Toews.
Chicago will have all 3 of their retention spots open in the summer.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Chicago will have all 3 of their retention spots open in the summer.
That’s what I thought too, but Roumeliotis was saying something about them not immediately resetting. So by not retaining to move de Haan, they’ll have one retention spot open immediately in the off-season.

I don’t know, I was confused about what he meant, but figured he knows more than I do

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That’s what I thought too, but Roumeliotis was saying something about them not immediately resetting. So by not retaining to move de Haan, they’ll have one retention spot open immediately in the off-season.

I don’t know, I was confused about what he meant, but figured he knows more than I do
Interesting. Seems odd to me, but I'm not an expert.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I listened to that podcast episode as well. I think Charlie was a speaking a little unclearly because it should reset as of 7/1/2022 at the beginning of free agency. I guess maybe he was referring to being able to trade someone with retention at the draft? I don't see a Toews moving being a draft day trade.

Reactions: Pertti

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I listened to that podcast episode as well. I think Charlie was a speaking a little unclearly because it should reset as of 7/1/2022 at the beginning of free agency. I guess maybe he was referring to being able to trade someone with retention at the draft? I don't see a Toews moving being a draft day trade.
Oh well that's dumb.

Chicago, if they did trade Toews, wouldn't do it at the draft. It would happen once free agency opens up.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
What's the rule on max retentions? We'd be retaining on Toews and he has 1 year left IIRC?

Eh. I'd rather retain on a player more valuable for a haul if we can only retain on a couple contracts at a time.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think Toews has earned the right to speak honestly. The disrespect he gets from a few armchair vegetables is unconscionable.
Hope you’re not referring to me as a vegetable because I’m saying it seems he wants to be moved, and the Hawks should do all they can to honor that.

Wild that you say things about people being rude, but then feel it’s okay to call people vegetables.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Toews and Kane transformed this organization. I will forever be grateful for Toews and whatever he decides to do, then I hope the Hawks accommodate him. Salary aside, he would still be an attractive player for a contending team. A terrific 3LC who is still elite in faceoffs, and good defensively when he gives a shit. I think personally with an off season of training he'll be better next season (Toews has said he couldn't train like he did in the past cuz of his illness) and could play top 6 for a contender but that's just me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Guy speaks with honesty, and if we as fans are pissed off with what has happened to this team, imagine what someone with real ties to the organization, who has dedicated his entire career to the team, and gave it his all every shift to win, feels.

This team has turned into a dumpster fire, and it's not Toews fault. The Pens were still a damn good team when they were missing Crosby and Malkin, so I dont want to hear how he is a major/main reason why this team sucks.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Guy speaks with honesty, and if we as fans are pissed off with what has happened to this team, imagine what someone with real ties to the organization, who has dedicated his entire career to the team, and gave it his all every shift to win, feels.

This team has turned into a dumpster fire, and it's not Toews fault. The Pens were still a damn good team when they were missing Crosby and Malkin, so I dont want to hear how he is a major/main reason why this team sucks.
He's definitely part of the fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad