Speculation: Toews

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Alright, let me do 15 seconds of research to confirm and... confirmed. Bolland's 2nd contract was signed June 29th, 2009. Buff's was signed May 31st, 2008 -- a year before the snafu. Versteeg and Barker were both signed in early July, after the June 29th deadline for the RFA QOs to be filed.

Yes, Byfuglien wasn’t part of it. Bolland, Barker, Versteeg were. Eager signed with no raise but Fraser got a 40% bump (500k to 700k) while still a part time player.
The goof up cost at least 1 and possibly 2 players from being kept after 2010.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Yes, Byfuglien wasn’t part of it. Bolland, Barker, Versteeg were. Eager signed with no raise but Fraser got a 40% bump (500k to 700k) while still a part time player.
The goof up cost at least 1 and possibly 2 players from being kept after 2010.

Bolland was signed before the QO deadline. He was not part of the screw up. That negotiation was done.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
IMHO next year is a huge one for the organization. All the the distractions (sex scandal, shakeups, coaching changes) of the past 2 years will be in the rear view mirror. Toews could be a hugely positive influence with the youngsters. Then again, unless he's willing to play the mentoring role, it's time for him to move on.
Toews is going to do nothing but whine about how he’s not co-GM anymore. Tell him to retire.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Two things can be true at once.

Toews could have been correct about Bowmans rebuild/retool being bad timing and having no direction. He also was right about JC being a doofus.

Even though he has been right about it his was of expressing it to the public comes off poorly. Maybe he doesnt care how it makes him look.

The same thing he has been praised for his whole life, his will to win, is now being looked at as a detriment. I dont blame him. Hes still my favorite player of all time. Until i hear players on his team say something bad about him I just think its noise.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Toews could have been correct about Bowmans rebuild/retool being bad timing and having no direction. He also was right about JC being a doofus.

Even though he has been right about it his was of expressing it to the public comes off poorly. Maybe he doesnt care how it makes him look.

The same thing he has been praised for his whole life, his will to win, is now being looked at as a detriment. I dont blame him. Hes still my favorite player of all time. Until i hear players on his team say something bad about him I just think its noise.
It seems many Hawks fans are quite willing to throw any vet under the bus when their play inevitably tapers off. Even the team captain who led the team in its most glorious years in the history of the franchise. Quite sad.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

It seems many Hawks fans are quite willing to throw any vet under the bus when their play inevitably tapers off. Even the team captain who led the team in its most glorious years in the history of the franchise. Quite sad.
The treatment here of a guy who is a franchise icon is pitiful. I understand frustration over his contributions weighed against his paycheck. But the lack of respect for a guy who lead the best Hawk team ever through a dynasty is f***ing shameful.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The treatment here of a guy who is a franchise icon is pitiful. I understand frustration over his contributions weighed against his paycheck. But the lack of respect for a guy who lead the best Hawk team ever through a dynasty is f***ing shameful.
He did it to himself. The last 8-12 months have not been a good look, between defending the suits when what they did was indefensible and whining like a petulant child.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
"Stan is a good guy-19/88"

You just can't say that in that moment.

Sounds like a defense to me.
I believe he said he had a good relationship with Stan. I'll need to see where he said exactly what you're saying he said.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Sports is a what have you done for me lately business, and always has been. Big picture, Toews is treated just fine. He’s not looking to trade lives or bank accounts with anyone who posts here, and if he even knows about hf, I guarantee he wouldn’t give a shit what anyone posts here.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Toews has been toast for 3 years. That he is unable to accept that is a problem many pro athletes have when their skills diminish. I imagine it is sad and all but I am a fan of the Hawks not just Toews. His whole resume of his contract(s)will be in the equation for the player he was for me. Personally you can choose to cherry pick what you want to remember as it is your life. But look at his play and stats the last half of this contract and you will see he is just a meh C. Early on in his career super….later he fell off a cliff. Doesn’t mean I am not going to dog him because in 2010 he did x or y. His underperforming (and Seabs)to the contract is a big big part of why we are in full rebuild rather than reset. Part is their fault and a big part is Stan and how he overpaid and gave out NMC like it was candy at Halloween.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Toews has been toast for 3 years. That he is unable to accept that is a problem many pro athletes have when their skills diminish. I imagine it is sad and all but I am a fan of the Hawks not just Toews. His whole resume of his contract(s)will be in the equation for the player he was for me. Personally you can choose to cherry pick what you want to remember as it is your life. But look at his play and stats the last half of this contract and you will see he is just a meh C. Early on in his career super….later he fell off a cliff. Doesn’t mean I am not going to dog him because in 2010 he did x or y. His underperforming (and Seabs)to the contract is a big big part of why we are in full rebuild rather than reset. Part is their fault and a big part is Stan and how he overpaid and gave out NMC like it was candy at Halloween.

The last half of this contract?

He has been complete ass for the entirety of this contract...outside of that one year where he was completely carried by Kane

Reactions: JPE123

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The last half of this contract?

He has been complete ass for the entirety of this contract...outside of that one year where he was completely carried by Kane
I was trying to be kind. He had a medical deal and all so that is in there where I cut some slack. But that contract has been THE albatross for the Hawks for nearly the entirety of it. If he doesn’t get that then he is either too entitled to see it or maybe he is trying and it isn’t happening for him. It lots of shifts he sure doesn’t seem to try hard.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I was trying to be kind. He had a medical deal and all so that is in there where I cut some slack. But that contract has been THE albatross for the Hawks for nearly the entirety of it. If he doesn’t get that then he is either too entitled to see it or maybe he is trying and it isn’t happening for him. It lots of shifts he sure doesn’t seem to try hard.
So for every ridiculous contract that Stan offered (and there were quite a few, some worse than others) many folks here blame it on the player. The worst cases were the contracts of Bickell, with Seabs and with Toews.... and it took f***ing years for many of you folks to acknowledge that Stan was the incompetent one but yet continue to this day to blame the players for not living up to the inflated numbers and the NMCs gifted.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
So for every ridiculous contract that Stan offered (and there were quite a few, some worse than others) many folks here blame it on the player. The worst cases were the contracts of Bickell, with Seabs and with Toews.... and it took f***ing years for many of you folks to acknowledge that Stan was the incompetent one but yet continue to this day to blame the players for not living up to the inflated numbers and the NMCs gifted.

That’s part of the deal. No one is going to fault a player for taking as much money as they can get or signing a contract they’re offered. However with that comes expectations relative to the contract size. If you’re being paid as a top-10 player in the league, you need to be a top-10 player. It’s a cap league. Can’t win in a cap league if you have a bunch of guys not living up to the value of their deals.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
You just know Toews had his fingerprints all over those Bickell and Seabrook deals too...he was a Stan guy.

If he'd been born 10-20 years earlier you know he'd be a Wirtz guy like Savard

Reactions: JPE123

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
You just know Toews had his fingerprints all over those Bickell and Seabrook deals too...he was a Stan guy.

If he'd been born 10-20 years earlier you know he'd be a Wirtz guy like Savard
haha your committed to the bit

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Well tbf, peak Toews made a lot of players around him better. He does bear some blame.
Team success equaled pay raises…

Bickell was a beast in 2013, got paid, Seabrook is a leader, got paid after Keith had signed his extension

Lots of teams are paying players for what they might do, Hawks paid players for what they did…

Look at Ottawa and Edmonton after making the finals they paid players and never made it back…

I’ll take this mess we’re in now for what it got us beforehand

Reactions: Nellie Fox

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia