Speculation: Toews

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I feel his frustration 150%, it’s the same frustration I been feeling with Stan the man’s incredible moves all these years, everyone else was a deer in headlights clueless to the slow destruction of the team piece by piece. Now we are at the bottom and a huge mountain to climb. Toews knows this, he wants another cup or two, it’s killing him that we got clowns in ownership and management all these years and he just doesn’t see a winning team happening by the end of his career with the Hawks.
Not everyone but a helluva lot of 'em thought Stan was doing just fine. It was absurd then and it is now.

Ironically, Stan would probably still be the Hawks GM if it weren't for a decade-old sex scandal that forced him out.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not saying hes playing well, but I dont think its an effort issue with either kane or toews. I think its absurd to expect either of them to put forth much more than they have when the team clearly doesnt care about winning.
I don't think it's an effort issue with Toews' either. Comparing him to Kane is odd though. Kane has conducted himself the same way on the ice and in front of media the same way he always has.

Toews' hasn't.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Not everyone but a helluva lot of 'em thought Stan was doing just fine. It was absurd then and it is now.

Ironically, Stan would probably still be the Hawks GM if it weren't for a decade-old sex scandal that forced him out.
100% Stan would still be the GM now and doing “fine” lol

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Since he doesn't appear to have the energy to keep up anymore, I wonder if it would be beneficial to move him to wing. Still have him take faceoffs but then have someone else take over the 200ft responsibilities.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Since he doesn't appear to have the energy to keep up anymore, I wonder if it would be beneficial to move him to wing. Still have him take faceoffs but then have someone else take over the 200ft responsibilities.
When Dach was on his wing for awhile that's exactly what they did. Dach and Hagel were the guys playing deep in the D zone way more often than Toews.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Toews has really tanked his reputation. Maybe not with this last quote, but over these past few years.

The tone deaf Bowman nonsense, the crying about a rebuild, the going to management demanding certain players, and don’t get me started on his atrocious play and leadership.

Thanks for everything in the cup years, but the sooner we move on from this idiot, the better.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews has really tanked his reputation. Maybe not with this last quote, but over these past few years.

The tone deaf Bowman nonsense, the crying about a rebuild, the going to management demanding certain players, and don’t get me started on his atrocious play and leadership.

Thanks for everything in the cup years, but the sooner we move on from this idiot, the better.
It really does feel like the end of his time with the organization. I'll choose to remember him up through 2015.

It's a real shame he wasn't able to keep it going like Bergeron and Kopitar have, but there's nothing we can do about that but remember the good times.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I feel his frustration 150%, it’s the same frustration I been feeling with Stan the man’s incredible moves all these years, everyone else was a deer in headlights clueless to the slow destruction of the team piece by piece. Now we are at the bottom and a huge mountain to climb. Toews knows this, he wants another cup or two, it’s killing him that we got clowns in ownership and management all these years and he just doesn’t see a winning team happening by the end of his career with the Hawks.

Are you guys going to keep circle high fiving over how you are so much smarter than the rest of us because you apparently criticized Bowman first? If you guys are so dang smart, then why are you still posting here rather than working in the Hawks front office?

Is it a congratulations you guys want? Congratulations on making a call ahead of a bunch of other random internet people with slightly above average hockey knowledge (almost none of us work in pro hockey). You guys are truly a shining example of greatness and exemplify what it means to be a true hockey fan. An inspiration to us all.

Jimmy2Times

Oct 24, 2019
Are you guys going to keep circle high fiving over how you are so much smarter than the rest of us because you apparently criticized Bowman first? If you guys are so dang smart, then why are you still posting here rather than working in the Hawks front office?

Is it a congratulations you guys want? Congratulations on making a call ahead of a bunch of other random internet people with slightly above average hockey knowledge (almost none of us work in pro hockey). You guys are truly a shining example of greatness and exemplify what it means to be a true hockey fan. An inspiration to us all.
Thank you for the kind words sir

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

This goes both ways. HF Boards as a whole has turned into a lot of pissing matches over the past few years.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Context is important. Did anyone see the interview? Facial expressions, tone, these are all things that don't translate to written text. Powers isn't really a big clickbait guy.

Again, with history, and the comments Toews made about not being clued into the rebuild back in 2020, I'm not sure he gets the benefit of the doubt here. He reeks of entitlement and wanting a "voice" in the direction of the team. There's not a doubt in my mind he was the one that went to management to complain about JC.

I will also say that Toews has NO RIGHT to be frustrated with the team or the direction of the team. He's a major reason for their downfall. He's paid to be a top 5 center in the NHL and he's barely a 3C. The only frustration he should have is with his own f***ing play.
Hm, sounds a lot like the majority of posters here!

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
There may have been but Barker and Versteeg were the big ones. The purge happens whether Versteeg and Barker were making 2M or the 3M+ they got because of the RFA screwup. Their contracts contributed to the issue but they weren't the direct cause. Their contracts were simply additions to the compounded overpayments CHI had made leading up to 2009-10. If guys like Buff and Bolland weren't overpaid as RFAs coming off ELCs; if the RFA screw-up doesn't happen with Barker/Versteeg; if they don't overpay for Campbell and Huet as UFAs. All of these things contributed to A) Not being able to retain players going forward and B) pushing CHI right to the cap limit in 2009-10, resulting in Toews and Kane's bonuses being applied to the following year's cap.
Bolland and Buff were overpaid to keep them from demanding to be made UFA’s both got about 1.3m over the qualifying offer. Versteeg and Barker got less. (I don’t remember the other guy) Again working from memory there were 5 players total and the cost was just under 6 million.
If Frank is here (new user name?) he would have the details.
Bowman (the capologist) thought the offers had to be sent on the 1st. They needed to be done the day before.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
There may have been but Barker and Versteeg were the big ones. The purge happens whether Versteeg and Barker were making 2M or the 3M+ they got because of the RFA screwup. Their contracts contributed to the issue but they weren't the direct cause. Their contracts were simply additions to the compounded overpayments CHI had made leading up to 2009-10. If guys like Buff and Bolland weren't overpaid as RFAs coming off ELCs; if the RFA screw-up doesn't happen with Barker/Versteeg; if they don't overpay for Campbell and Huet as UFAs. All of these things contributed to A) Not being able to retain players going forward and B) pushing CHI right to the cap limit in 2009-10, resulting in Toews and Kane's bonuses being applied to the following year's cap.
Bolland and Buff were overpaid to keep them from demanding to be made UFA’s both got about 1.3m over the qualifying offer. Versteeg and Barker got less. (I don’t remember the other guy) Again working from memory there were 5 players total and the cost was just under 6 million.
Bowman (the capologist) thought the offers had to be sent on the 1st. They needed to be done the day before.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I wasn't. Right from the Ladd trade with Atlanta, I said Bowman was wrong. He mismanaged assets but people were talking about this 5 years ago. Should have been fired in 2018.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Bolland and Buff were not involved in the RFA screw-up in 2009.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Bolland and Buff were not involved in the RFA screw-up in 2009.
Better check your facts on Bolland, not positive on Buff but Bolland a 3rd - 4th line C at the time and due maybe a 2 mill deal signed for 5 years for 3.375m.
Much discussed back then.
Tallon took the blame for Stan with his buck stops here speech and was fired shortly after.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Better check your facts on Bolland, not positive on Buff but Bolland a 3rd - 4th line C at the time and due maybe a 2 mill deal signed for 5 years for 3.375m.
Tallon took the blame for Stan with his buck stops here speech and was fired shortly after.
I thought it was Barker Versteeg Brouwer Eager and Fraser. Could be wrong.

Reactions: TheFridge

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Alright, let me do 15 seconds of research to confirm and... confirmed. Bolland's 2nd contract was signed June 29th, 2009. Buff's was signed May 31st, 2008 -- a year before the snafu. Versteeg and Barker were both signed in early July, after the June 29th deadline for the RFA QOs to be filed.

gopher72

Jun 11, 2021
IMHO next year is a huge one for the organization. All the the distractions (sex scandal, shakeups, coaching changes) of the past 2 years will be in the rear view mirror. Toews could be a hugely positive influence with the youngsters. Then again, unless he's willing to play the mentoring role, it's time for him to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad