Speculation: Toews

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
His defense of Bowman this year and the reports of him going and complaining to Stan about him missing Saad which lead to the terrible trade of Panarin.

Toews didn’t do that, that’s a Stan defence within itself right here. Stan is very stupid and only stupid people make that trade, it was 150% his fault. Let’s not blame that on anyone else, Stan gets enough excuses around here to create this one too now.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I'm learning not to trust things Powers posts. To me, his post paints a different picture than actually reading the whole quote:

What Toews said:

Reactions: COHawk

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Powers needs to stick to letting the quote speak for itself. Of course, it would help if he just stuck to quotes period. No one needs you to provide an interpretation of the quote, while sourcing bits of the quotes. Give us the quote and if you have thoughts or you want to interpret it in some manner, do so attached to the quotes in a twitter thread.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It will be 7 years this summer since Toews who wss considered the best all round player in the game and tge one you would most want to anchor a team,made his infamous visit to
Machu Picchu ...he and the team never were the same again...

Do nit know what Toews dodctgere to anger the hockey gods...but it has never been as god since that visit...he must have done so ebbing to anger the hockey gods or the old gods of hatt place ...and Hawks fans still suffering ever since.

Maybe Tores needs to go back and try to make amends?

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Is there a difference between what Powers said, and the actual quote? Because I'm not seeing it. And I cannot stand Powers. lol

Not so much in this instance I'd agree but as the OP said, they read it in a more negative way than they did the quote itself.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
So far we've heard nothing on Toews resuming his career with another team.
Then this:

Word is Toews won’t play next season. When his agency sent out its list of pending free agents, we are told his name was not even on the list.

From Mark Spector at Sportsnet.

So is he truly retiring?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
So far we've heard nothing on Toews resuming his career with another team.
Then this:

From Mark Spector at Sportsnet.

So is he truly retiring?

Would Kyle from Chicago be open to him in the front office? Or would that be a distraction for the new core?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Man.... I had always hoped he could go out on his own terms, but combine his recent health issues with his concussion history, retirement is probably for the best for him. Can only hope he saved a fortune and enjoys a long and happy retirement if he does hang up the skates, whether he's a part of the organization or not moving forward.

Reactions: Muffinalt and Giovi

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Man.... I had always hoped he could go out on his own terms, but combine his recent health issues with his concussion history, retirement is probably for the best for him. Can only hope he saved a fortune and enjoys a long and happy retirement if he does hang up the skates, whether he's a part of the organization or not moving forward.
He had career earnings of 115 million in salary alone and is not an NFL/NBA player so I am pretty sure he is set for life financially. It would be nice to see him hook on with a Cup contender as he seemed like he could still play last year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Never would've thought Toews would be the one from all those guys who would stay and retire a Hawk (although it technically wasn't on his terms cuz of his health).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He said if it wasnt a ‘hell yeah’ then it was a ‘no’.

I dont think his health allows him to train to the level he can reach ‘hell yeah’. Likewise, nobody is going to give him the money to convince him.

Just enjoy retirement, come back as an ambassador during the Bedard dynasty.

Reactions: Muffinalt

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I don't think he has it in him anymore. If that's true, I hope he hangs them up. The last thing I want to see is another fan base trashing him because he can't hack it anymore. You helped bring us three cups, enjoy retirement Taser.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Rumors of his retirement are accelerating. Not too surprising.

I would like to see Toews stick around with the organization in some facet. Maybe he could be great at teaching the team's centers at winning faceoffs and he could instill some wisdom when it comes down to strong two-way defensive play that he was so good at during his prime years.

60-70 point Selke caliber Toews was a treat to watch. Internationally he's always been one of the best forwards Canada has had as well.

I wish him all the best.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Toews is supposed to be playing in Hossa's "Goodbye Game" next month. While The Captain will never do anything to take away the spotlight from 81, I suspect this will be the last time we'll see 19 suiting up for a game as an active player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00