Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Outside of getting a better return for Panarin what else would you have wanted him to do? Keep Q? As much as it made sense, letting Seabrook walk wasn't happening. I can't really complain about much that he's done besides the things I mentioned. Bowman has had his hands tied between McCub and the cap.

I guess you could complain a bit about sticking with Colliton but it seems like Bowman views him as a point A to B coach like Savard.

After learning more about the Hawks D system I don't think the system is as much of the issue as the inexperience. It also could be that certain players just suck defensively.

Firing Q and Bowman at the same time would have been a good way to reset.... now we're mired in mediocrity and with a long way to go before returning to being relevant.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Firing Q and Bowman at the same time would have been a good way to reset.... now we're mired in mediocrity and with a long way to go before returning to being relevant.

I would’ve absolutely been fine with both of them going together, but there’s zero guarantee that the new GM would have this team in any better of a position right now.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
in retrospect I think firing Q and letting MCD go would have been the better move would not have done the shaw, maata, dehann trades. and would have starsted the reset earlier. I look at the signings nad trades since last off season and there is not that much to complain about.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
in retrospect I think firing Q and letting MCD go would have been the better move would not have done the shaw, maata, dehann trades. and would have starsted the reset earlier. I look at the signings nad trades since last off season and there is not that much to complain about.
Seriously, how much influence did McD have on the product on the ice? Not much if any I'd say ... but if Stan truly was his puppet, then more reason to dump Stan, McD and Q in one fell swoop.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Seriously, how much influence did McD have on the product on the ice? Not much if any I'd say ... but if Stan truly was his puppet, then more reason to dump Stan, McD and Q in one fell swoop.
McD every single year said, we are a playoff team. That's the goal. In his pressers.

He's gone, they finally then say, that's not our goal. Yes, that always influences the direction you're going.

Even having a guy say, rebuild and focus on the future does not make you save. See the Rangers recent firings.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
McD every single year said, we are a playoff team. That's the goal. In his pressers.

He's gone, they finally then say, that's not our goal. Yes, that always influences the direction you're going.

Even having a guy say, rebuild and focus on the future does not make you save. See the Rangers recent firings.
That is when Stan draws the line and does his job, his way, as the GM .... despite what the marketing guy says to the media.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That is when Stan draws the line and does his job, his way, as the GM .... despite what the marketing guy says to the media.
And it seems he's done that in 2017 and 2018 to me and several other people.

But people on here and you go on about how you have to always try to win as much as possible, and say it's a failure and clearly a lie to say that they were trying to rebuild.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
And you know this how? Hearsay?

And if it is true, what does it say about Stan?

Because he was the president of the team, not just the head of marketing. He was Stan's boss, your comment makes it seem as if that wasn't the case and that Stan should have ignored what McD was saying/doing.

Do you go behind your boss' back and just do your own thing whenever you feel like it? I'm sure the answer is no for 99% of people here.

My comment isn't related to the numerous rumors of meddling.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lmao. I love how BobbyJet counters a narrative with ample evidence to support it, with a counter narrative with no evidence to support it, and then calls the previous narrative "hearsay".

Employees take direction from their superiors. That's how the chain of command works. You don't just "do your job your way".

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Lmao. I love how BobbyJet counters a narrative with ample evidence to support it, with a counter narrative with no evidence to support it, and then calls the previous narrative "hearsay".

Employees take direction from their superiors. That's how the chain of command works. You don't just "do your job your way".

I'm not a Stan defender, but it's bizarre to pretend Stan could just go off on his own and rebuild the team without the president's and owner's support. That's not how it works, dramatic decisions like that are made as an organization, not just by the GM drawing a line and doing whatever he wants.

Could Stan have made a better case to McD and Rocky for why a rebuild was needed? Maybe, but that's just my speculation.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Because he was the president of the team, not just the head of marketing. He was Stan's boss, your comment makes it seem as if that wasn't the case and that Stan should have ignored what McD was saying/doing.

Do you go behind your boss' back and just do your own thing whenever you feel like it? I'm sure the answer is no for 99% of people here.

My comment isn't related to the numerous rumors of meddling.

It would be different if McD was a hockey guy but he isn't. It's all about PR with a president like him. I doubt very much that he had any say whatsoever on who specifically Stan should go after.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It would be different if McD was a hockey guy but he isn't. It's all about PR with a president like him. I doubt very much that he had any say whatsoever on who specifically Stan should go after.
Jay Zawaski has said several times his sources said McD was very involved and was the one who insisted Boqvist be called up. I disagree with many of Jay's hockey opinions, but he's a media pro who very carefully says when he is relaying info that is an opinion and when he his relaying info that has been conveyed by sources.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I thought you were arguing that Stan should've ignored McD's comments about the team being a playoff team every year rather than committing to a rebuild. That's where you said that Stan should've drawn the line and did his job.

I'm not debating individual player acquisitions, I'm talking about big picture which it seemed you were also commenting on.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought you were arguing that Stan should've ignored McD's comments about the team being a playoff team every year rather than committing to a rebuild. That's where you said that Stan should've drawn the line and did his job.

I'm not debating individual player acquisitions, I'm talking about big picture which it seemed you were also commenting on.

That's exactly what he was saying, actually. I'm sure McD was only saying that to the media. I'm sure there was no direction coming from above Stan in regards to competing for the playoffs, as opposed to rebuilding... GMs decide to rebuild without the owner and president's directives and blessing all the time....right? :sarcasm:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
3:00 minutes left in Pens/Isles game. Crosby nearly scores then lays out to prevent Brock Nelson from shooting into a WIIIDE open net, 200' away.

Think Jonny will ever make a play like that again?

Me thinks no.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
3:00 minutes left in Pens/Isles game. Crosby nearly scores then lays out to prevent Brock Nelson from shooting into a WIIIDE open net, 200' away.

Me thinks no.

It's fine to really like players on your own team, and to even like them much better than players elsewhere, but I think some people have a problem admitting how f***ing good Crosby was and continues to be.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
It's fine to really like players on your own team, and to even like them much better than players elsewhere, but I think some people have a problem admitting how f***ing good Crosby was and continues to be.

I’m from the same province Crosby is from and I remember being at the Dartmouth Sportsplex when he was playing with the Dartmouth Subways as an underager and he dominated. First time I ever knew for certain that I was watching a future NHLer.

Many locals became Pens fans once Crosby was drafted there. He’s a good guy too. I remember being really drunk at one of the bars in downtown Halifax a few summers ago and Crosby and MacKinnon walked in. Nathan MacKinnon was buying shots steady hahaha.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Me thinks no.
Umm, probably, if he plays again? That's not some play that only a great player can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad