Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
A decade is 10 years... not 6.
A lot like the 2021 Blackhawks season, the first half was great and a lot of fun, the second half, not so much... rather dismal in fact. But we have the memories, which seems to be enough for quite a few.

From the 2008/09 season to the 2016/17 sweep against Nashville, the Hawks were an awesome team and fun to watch. Stop arguing about semantics and downplaying what we had as fans. We'll probably never experience this again.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We all appreciate the great success but it's 2021.
They're still paying the piper for that run.
The Hawks core was so damn good that outside of 2017-18 the Hawks can't even get bad because Kane is still really damn good, and Toews was still damn good when healthy. Even though Keith is ancient he's still a middle pairing D.

Would you rather those guys had fallen off of a cliff so the Hawks were awful?

Just imagine where the Hawks would be if they didn't luck into Dach. It would be even more bleak.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They're still paying the piper for that run.
The Hawks core was so damn good that outside of 2017-18 the Hawks can't even get bad because Kane is still really damn good, and Toews was still damn good when healthy. Even though Keith is ancient he's still a middle pairing D.

Would you rather those guys had fallen off of a cliff so the Hawks were awful?

Just imagine where the Hawks would be if they didn't luck into Dach. It would be even more bleak.
They're paying the piper all right ... for the incompetence of Hawks GM and for the FO stupidity in not moving on from him.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Stan Bowman. Bobby has been bitching about him....well....forever. Pretty sure he was one of those bitching about him after the first cup win.

That’s what I thought.... but wouldn’t surprise me if he said we should have moved on from Kane after 2017 either.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They're paying the piper all right ... for the incompetence of Hawks GM and for the FO stupidity in not moving on from him.
Outside of getting a better return for Panarin what else would you have wanted him to do? Keep Q? As much as it made sense, letting Seabrook walk wasn't happening. I can't really complain about much that he's done besides the things I mentioned. Bowman has had his hands tied between McCub and the cap.

I guess you could complain a bit about sticking with Colliton but it seems like Bowman views him as a point A to B coach like Savard.

After learning more about the Hawks D system I don't think the system is as much of the issue as the inexperience. It also could be that certain players just suck defensively.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Y'all so greedy. We had the privilege of watching 3 Cup victories.
Canucks, Sabres, Predators, Sharks fans to list a few have never won a cup .. ever.
Then there are the teams who have won but it's been like a long long time since like the Leafs, Islanders, Flames, Habs etc. It's indeed a rare thing especially with having 31 teams and soon. to be 32 to win one cup let alone 3.
I for one cheered on the Hawks from '69 as a kid till 2010 to finally taste the sweet nectar of Lord Stanley .. that's 41 years .. more than a good many a poster here has been alive.
We were a lucky fan base. Very lucky.

Bro not to be rude only losers glory in past accomplishments, it’s about now what are you doing now, why the Penguins can be a top team again and this team is a bottom feeder? It’s not about greedy it’s about having a garbage GM that has been driving this team into the ground for 6+ years, since Bowman started making big trades and signing this team has been atrocious.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Bro not to be rude only losers glory in past accomplishments, it’s about now what are you doing now, why the Penguins can be a top team again and this team is a bottom feeder? It’s not about greedy it’s about having a garbage GM that has been driving this team into the ground for 6+ years, since Bowman started making big trades and signing this team has been atrocious.

The Pens have two of the greatest offensive players of this era. Even at Toews’ peak, he couldn’t match Crosby offensively. It’s not a fair comparison.

Pens can stay relevant with much less depth than what most other teams need.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Lol.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

Well my friend .. it's not so much that I'm touting glorying in the past as it's being satisfied and more importantly appreciative of the teams accomplishments. You are right though in your present moment sentiment cause it is really all we have which brings up the final caveat .. if the present is all we have then why not remain positive and appreciative in regards to the team as that vibe is a much better contagion than the negative alternative. ;)

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
The Pens have two of the greatest offensive players of this era. Even at Toews’ peak, he couldn’t match Crosby offensively. It’s not a fair comparison.

Pens can stay relevant with much less depth than what most other teams need.
The pens have also consistently traded away their youth/draft picks to have a couple more kicks at the can with Crosby/Malkin. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the nhl and only 1 pick in the first four rounds this year to work with.

The pens are a weird team to bring up because they pushed the chips all in and they’re not really even what I’d call a top contender and are gonna be in real rough shape in a couple years. I’d much rather keep the youth and stay the course than mortgage the future to be a one round and out playoff team.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The pens have also consistently traded away their youth/draft picks to have a couple more kicks at the can with Crosby/Malkin. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the nhl and only 1 pick in the first four rounds this year to work with.

The pens are a weird team to bring up because they pushed the chips all in and they’re not really even what I’d call a top contender and are gonna be in real rough shape in a couple years. I’d much rather keep the youth and stay the course than mortgage the future to be a one round and out playoff team.

Go for it while you still can with Crosby before he’s 35+ and then bottom out entirely again. They’ll never be bad enough with Crosby to really rebuild from the bottom up so better off to trade those prospects and picks to try and build what you can around him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Go for it while you still can with Crosby before he’s 35+ and then bottom out entirely again. They’ll never be bad enough with Crosby to really rebuild from the bottom up so better off to trade those prospects and picks to try and build what you can around him.
Couldn't you make the same argument with the Hawks and Kane/ a healthy Toews? Neither player is as good as Crosby and Malkin but does the Hawks pair being on the next tier of players make enough of a difference in direction?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No, not currently at least. Probably not even before either, neither are close to Crosby’s level.
What about when you throw Cat into the mix?
Outside of 2017-18 the Hawks have never been worse than a bubble team since winning their last cup. That also coincided with a ridiculously low shooting percentage down year for Toews.

Even this year, without Toews and Dach, they were a bubble team....which is insane.
That means either they have a lot of talent and are inexperienced or Kane/Cat are good enough to prop them up by themselves.

I think the difference between Kane/Toews/Cat and Crosby/Malkin is the money.

Kane/Toews/Cat=27.3M
Crosby/Malkin-18.2M

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What about when you throw Cat into the mix?
Outside of 2017-18 the Hawks have never been worse than a bubble team since winning their last cup. That also coincided with a ridiculously low shooting percentage down year for Toews.

Even this year, without Toews and Dach, they were a bubble team....which is insane.
That means either they have a lot of talent and are inexperienced or Kane/Cat are good enough to prop them up by themselves.

I think the difference between Kane/Toews/Cat and Crosby/Malkin is the money.

Kane/Toews/Cat=27.3M
Crosby/Malkin-18.2M

If we're throwing in extra players, why wouldn't you throw Guentzel in for the Pens?

The Hawks aren't the Pens, they can't be following the Pens' model.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Oh I’m not saying it’s a bad call for them. It just wouldn’t work for us because we don’t have any kind of a duo that rivals Crosby/Malkin now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad