Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It was Barry Rozner, but yeah I read that article and it was kind of sobering.
I'm expecting Toews's status to be completely up in the are until mid-August at the earliest.

I don't have a Herald subscription, can you give a summary of what he said?

Is he just taking a pessimistic angle, or does he seem to know something?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Probably taking a pessimistic angle. It was mostly a nothing article.

Wow, I definitely didn't take the same thing from this article that Zawaski did. It doesn't seem like a grim outlook on Toews at all, it seems more about calling out guys who play soft and like shit, and uses Toews as an example of the right way to play.

There's no greater example than Jonathan Toews, who is at top of mind these days as we hope for the best.
The captain played every shift as if it mattered, because all shifts matter. He did not cheat the backcheck, the forecheck or the empty net. He played only to win and set the example for all to follow.
When you saw him return to the bench after a shift, or stand and face reporters after game, it was clear that he was spent, that he had given all he had, with only one goal in mind.
There is so much respect for the man that no one wore a "C" on the Blackhawks' sweater this year. See, leadership isn't a letter stitched on cloth, points on a stat sheet or title given by management.
You know it when you see it -- and you know it when you don't.
There have been others over the last decade of Hawks hockey who fit that bill, the likes of Marian Hossa, Andrew Ladd, Andrew Shaw, Brent Seabrook, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Duncan Keith are just a few that come immediately to mind.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yes, but he talked about Toews in the past tense.

Ohh, I see now. I guess that is a bit odd.

But he also kind of talks about Keith in the past tense. I think he's just using past tense to talk about how these guys played during the Cup runs, not to say Toews is done playing.

I guess it can be read into it either way though.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
People should prepares themselves for Toews never playing again. And be pleasantly surprised if he does.

tenor.gif

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

Uncharted waters.... huh.

He discovered some miracle diet that would put his play scores above McDavid. Toews being an intellectual, took the year off because his new super-human-like power would undoubtedly raise eyebrows and force the league to suspend him and the Hawks indefinitely for using alien-like technology against normal peasant humans.

The epitome of a team player.

/s

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Well is a relative term, and if he was doing that well you'd think his status would be less ambiguous. Reading between the lines it doesn't sound particularly positive.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well is a relative term, and if he was doing that well you'd think his status would be less ambiguous. Reading between the lines it doesn't sound particularly positive.

The Bowman response is not positive at all. You'd think there'd be some momentum building after that Dreger reporter a few weeks ago, but this seems like the opposite.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
People should prepares themselves for Toews never playing again. And be pleasantly surprised if he does.

We have survived through the tragedy of having Stan as a GM and approaching a decade of failure, I am sure that has prepared everyone for Toews not coming back

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
We have survived through the tragedy of having Stan as a GM and approaching a decade of failure, I am sure that has prepared everyone for Toews not coming back
What the f*** does Stan being GM have to do with Toews?

Stop trying to shoe-horn your hatred of Stanley into every damn post. It's a tired gimmick, and I don't even like Bowman.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The Bowman response is not positive at all. You'd think there'd be some momentum building after that Dreger reporter a few weeks ago, but this seems like the opposite.

The way Bowman's quote reads it sounds like Toews is an old acquaintance he used to know and randomly bumped into for a few minutes on the street. The Blackhawks lack of involvement in whatever's going on is another layer of weirdness to the whole thing.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The way Bowman's quote reads it sounds like Toews is an old acquaintance he used to know and randomly bumped into for a few minutes on the street. The Blackhawks lack of involvement in whatever's going on is another layer of weirdness to the whole thing.

Honestly, I think Pez is right here. We need to be prepared to never see him suit up again, but be thrilled and surprised if it does eventually happen.

DesperateBeliever

Jun 16, 2019
Honestly, I think Pez is right here. We need to be prepared to never see him suit up again, but be thrilled and surprised if it does eventually happen.
This seems like the basis of the Hawks communication about this. They don't want people to be too hopeful and create expectations, but they also don't want to / can't be too negative.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Well at this point everything is equal speculation. We are arguing about interpretations.

Whatever happens I'm just not ready to see my favorite player leave yet so I'm not entertaining that thought, what's the point.

But... Should Toews not come back, I think we need to immediately turn to truly bottoming out in order to get star prospects. Nothing to hold back for if he's not here as another legitimate impact player.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Well at this point everything is equal speculation. We are arguing about interpretations.

Whatever happens I'm just not ready to see my favorite player leave yet so I'm not entertaining that thought, what's the point.

But... Should Toews not come back, I think we need to immediately turn to truly bottoming out in order to get star prospects. Nothing to hold back for if he's not here as another legitimate impact player.

Way too early to looks at 22/23 but if what some suggest we should do in 21/22 (Stand pat on big fish signings) then I would really love to see Stan go all-in in 22/23 to see if he can somehow sign Barkov and Campbell for the 1A goal tender. That would be a fantastic off season and by then the CAP`should go up a little.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Way too early to looks at 22/23 but if what some suggest we should do in 21/22 (Stand pat on big fish signings) then I would really love to see Stan go all-in in 22/23 to see if he can somehow sign Barkov and Campbell for the 1A goal tender. That would be a fantastic off season and by then the CAP`should go up a little.

Going the FA route is kind of the same logic right, the goal is to acquire legitimate impact players, starpower. Not Reichels but Bedards, not Suters but Barkovs.

Although to me if Toews is back, then thats two core star players who's age curve suits better the trade/FA route. But if he isn't, than the draft avenue (which is much less asset demanding and lasts longer) lines up better with what we have on roster.

Anyway, let's just get the captain coming back full force and worry about the rest later.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Toews situation does feel a bit weird. I was chatting with my sister about him last night. I can't recall any star player in professional sports ever missing an entire season and not speaking to the media or anything. It's like some weird mystery.

But hey, Johnny was great for us and I really don't care if he ever plays again. I just hope he is ok and takes good care of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad