Todd McLellan Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
For those who don’t revolve around the Oiler universe. They have lost four games in a row and scored six goals while doing this - thus dropping from first into the division to the outside looking in.

Oh, and they let in goals and their defencive structure looks bad ATM.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
The Oilers need change at the GM position more than at the coaching position. They are horrid under T-Mac, but I don't think even Quenneville or another top-flight coach could lead this team as far as their top-three talent should get them.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
This may be unpopular but I don’t think Coach Q would help them. The organization is rotten at the very core, they need to gut literally everything outside of McDavid and try again.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
This may be unpopular but I don’t think Coach Q would help them. The organization is rotten at the very core, they need to gut literally everything outside of McDavid and try again.

Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour or Toe Blake couldn't make the Oilers very good. I don't agree with dumping Nuge or Draisaitl, Chicago did well with their three stars having huge contracts, they just need to find complimentary players that don't suck the air out of the arena.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Talbot has been terrible thus far save a couple decent nights, which is doing Todd no favors, but team consistently does not start on time (4 games in a row down 2-0) and usually outworked.
Those are not issues with roster construction, though there are plenty. Those are issues with coaching getting things, or in this case not, out of players.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Back to back years where the team looks unprepared/unmotivated going into games. Chia deserves/gets a ton of blame for the lack off offence from defence (when a freshly drafted kid looks like your best passer, you *might* have issues), but TMac's caused his own damage with player deployment and also the PP.

Honestly I had a bit more patience for Chia, but his inability to do anything but sit on his hands is killing the team. Since the Hall trade he's made a total of 3 trades that added to the roster: Montoya for a late pick, DD for Davidson, and Jokinen for Cammy... Contrast that to his first year, where he was he actually decent in minor deals for Talbot, Maroon, Kassian, and even Nilsson.

TMac has had the simular issues, but his regard fluctuating accountability. Early on, underperforming guys like Pouliot and Fayne where benched/demoted when they were outperformed. However over the last year you've seen guys like Letestu start getting endless rope, regardless of performance.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
When you go down 4-0 in your own rink in November with no real response from the players you either have the wrong coach, wrong gm, or both.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
The fear I have is if either Chia or Todd get fired the other gets a pass for an extra year to see “how they respond”.

I have ZERO confidence in either, but “fun to the head” is boot Chia. What a garbage roster we have. I ALMOST feel bad for Todd having to work magic he clearly doesn’t have with this lineup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oilers are bad with terrible coaching/goaltending but there are a lot teams like that in the NHL right now. This is definitely not a golden age for league.

Reactions: Sam Spade

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Scotty Bowman couldn't make the Oilers a winner right now.

No offense beyond their top line
No real offense from their blueline
No real depth
Talbot looks done
If T-Mac is fired Glenn Gulutzan steps in and he's worth.
Forget any idea of Coach Q stepping in, he's getting paid to sit back and pick the team that he wants to go to.
Edmonton would be best to ride this season through and make decisions a the end of the year and then decide on whether they want to tinker or do a full fledged rebuild.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The Oilers need change at the GM position more than at the coaching position. They are horrid under T-Mac, but I don't think even Quenneville or another top-flight coach could lead this team as far as their top-three talent should get them.

Bingo, Mclellans hands are tied with this roster, that outside of Mcdavid and Drai is barely passable for AHL. All Chias past ghosts aside. He’s continually done nothing to address our depth issues and offense from the backend. Despite them being glaring issues all year last year and still remain this year

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bingo, Mclellans hands are tied with this roster, that outside of Mcdavid and Drai is barely passable for AHL. All Chias past ghosts aside. He’s continually done nothing to address our depth issues and offense from the backend. Despite them being glaring issues all year last year and still remain this year
Realistically, what can anyone do at the 17 game mark to save the season?

1) Goaltending - are the Oilers going to ship Talbot to the AHL and go with Koskinen and Montoya as their goaltending duo. The only thing Talbot's play has done is convince the Oilers management group that they can't give him an extension after the season. His time in EDM is over once his contract expires.

2) Defense - The bulk of the D is locked up in Klefbom, Larsson, Sekeras, Nurse, and even Russell. Can still move their 3 younger guys, but doubtful they do any better than taking a loss on Sekeras and Russell to get rid of them if they could. Bouchard will help once he matures, but have to wait and they can't afford to really wait.

3) Forwards - Aside from the 2 big guys they don't have any wingers to play with. And no scoring depth. Killing them that JP isn't performing and Lucic has gone downhill about 2 years earlier than they had anticipated he would. Always expected years 6&7 to be bad, but not starting in the 2nd half of year 2.

There aren't really any experienced starters on the market that would help the Oilers are there this summer? Maybe Schneider from NJ if the Devils deem Kinkaid to be a #1? You're looking at recycling Varlamnov from Colorado and Howard from Detroit for experienced #1 guys. Or you're trying to pluck a good backup like Dell from SJ. Doubt you'd want to take on Lundqvist (and that he'd ever leave NYR for EDM).

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The roster construction is awful, but the coaching has also been woeful.

They lack an identity in their roster construction - are they meant to be competing or are they still building the team?

That said, with the roster as it currently is, I'm sure a coach could get more out of them. TMac's issue at the Sharks was his inability to adapt his style and systems to his players or the opposition strategies. Is it any wonder how essentially the same roster at the Sharks went from missing the playoffs to a finals appearance under PDB (and I'm not a massive fan of his!).

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Feel bad for him. It should be Chia, Lowe and MacT first.

2dHNVgS.gif

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Realistically, what can anyone do at the 17 game mark to save the season?

Not taking away from the rest of a quality post, but this statement stood out. In all honesty, you are exactly right. However, if the Oilers fans are demanding that T-Mac take the fall for the team's performance, they are ignoring a bigger problem. There is not much out there in trades right now, but there were many good players available last off-season and the year before. A good GM finds complimentary players that can at worst hold the fort while McDavid is off the ice, this clearly hasn't happened, nor are there any signs that will happen in the future.

A mediocre coach can win a Cup with top talent, a premium coach can win a Cup with above-average talent. But there is no cure for a mediocre general manager, and mediocre is being generous considering how bad the Oilers have been lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad