Todd McLellan to be named Kings coach

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Don't understand in this thread why no mention of Ralph Krueger to take a job?
I think he got the ultimate raw deal in Edmonton. He's an intelligent coach. Did a great job with Team Europe in 2016.
Always was great building up that Swiss National Program.

He deserves another shot.
He's also expressed interest. (I know he's part of Southampton)
he got the Maximum out of very limited swiss teams
he did good with the young Edmonton team

I would like to see him again in the nhl

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Yes and no. Sure, it is a very symbolic gesture in many instances, but there are clear times when a coach's philosophy is just straight-up bad.

Willie D is a good example in LA. Just about every player on the roster hated him. He had no real interaction with them, was absent, wouldn't run practices, and didn't give much instruction. Sometimes it is the coach. If he loses confidence from players, management, and fans alike it is tough to ignore it and it exacerbates other problems with the team.

Sure, it isn't the only one, players need to take ownership and accept responsibility, but the man in the room that holds them accountable for that is the coach. If that check isn't in place then a team can easily fall apart.

I dont think we have any disagreement. I said most NHL coaches. Willie isn't part of the recycled coaches club, only having coached two unsuccessful teams over brief tenures.

Someone like Todd Mclellan has a much better resume and reputation around the league. Coaches like Todd Mclellan will always have a suitor when the honeymoon phase wares off.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

The same 40-some odd coaches get shuffled over and over.
Meh teams try new talent and are burnt sometimes when you expect to lose may as well go with a tried coach

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What's up with giving coaches who don't last five years at their last job five year deals?
Seems silly, but since it's a guaranteed contract, tacking on additional years would be more likely to entice a coach to come over. You could argue it's also less financial risk for a team than paying the coach a higher annual salary for a shorter term.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Seems silly, but since it's a guaranteed contract, tacking on additional years would be more likely to entice a coach to come over. You could argue it's also less financial risk for a team than paying the coach a higher annual salary for a shorter term.
Doesn't it also turn them into an asset of sorts if they don't coach their full contract as teams have ask for permission to talk to them?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Well that was relatively quick. Will be back in the NHL. Coaches are like recycled coke bottles.

You're underrating a highly successful coach that knows how to win. Guys with his pedigree find jobs. This man took the Sharks to the playoffs so many years. The only man to take the Oilers to the playoffs. LA deserves a coach like him.

It would also be great because it'd be like a first-round BYE if we play LA in the playoffs. The Sharks know how to can crack him. It would be so great.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20190412-134144_Twitter.jpg

notheroic

Aug 2, 2005
Fort McMurray, AB
Update on my post from yesterday, Ralph Krueger has left Southampton.
I get on the horn if I'm Botterill and interview this guy.

Deserves a shot. Has a great hockey mind. Knows what it takes to get players motivated. X and O's type coach as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad