Todd McLellan to be named Kings coach

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don’t like this for Todd, he won’t be able to do much with the outdated build of the Kings and he’ll be blamed.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think this is a better fit than the Sabres would of been. I think he is an average coach, and I think the Kings will likely improve next year, but unfortunately I dont think he will ever be able to push them into anything meaningful, but maybe thats ok for the Kings, they have won multiple times and perhaps they just need some structure and stop gap before they are ready to truly compete again.

Reactions: Butsy Erickson

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I feel like it is much more likely we end up with Chris Taylor than Randy and Taylor can't really say no.
Yeah, I'd rather take a chance on Taylor. He's doing well in the A, but Roch isn't exactly full of rookies afaik- it can't be that difficult to win with them.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I feel Buffalo will be lucky not end up with Randy, the way this coach search is trending
That might be the one thing that could get me to actually stop watching the Sabres and I always watch every game each season, even through the tank years when we were legitimately fielding an AHL roster.

I don’t even want to think about the possibility of Carlyle... lol.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I thought he was going to Buffalo but whatever. I don’t understand why the same coaches get recycled over and over.

A team like Buffalo should be looking for someone fresh and not someone else to cycle through that’s been fired numerous times now imo.

I don’t think Todd’s system works well with the way the Kings are built at all.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
A team like Buffalo should be looking for someone fresh and not someone else to cycle through that’s been fired numerous times now imo.
Tried that with Housley, and it didn't work out so well. Also tried the "retread" approach with Bylsma before, and he was terrible too. Bottom line is you have to find the right guy, and being either fresh or a retread doesn't necessarily mean you are or aren't that. The Sabres have a coach in the AHL who is doing a great job, but I don't think they want to bring him up just yet.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
AV is one of the worst coaches with young players you can have. He rides struggling veterans over young guys to no end. I do not think AV would be a good hire for the Sabres. Aren't their veteran players the problem ?

Is he? I’ve heard that but is it really true? I am honestly asking because I haven’t followed AV’s career closely enough to know. I’ve read up on him and followed from a distance.

What young players has he refused to play that have turned out to be great?

Like, for example, I see Vesey getting more ice time in NY, but all his numbers look about the same.

I know younger players like the Sedin twins turned into super stars under AV, after mediocre starts to their careers. Kesler blossomed under AV as well.

His teams have also made the playoffs 9 of the last 10 seasons he’s coached.
He has 2 president’s trophies, a Jack Adams and a couple appearances in the finals (with 2 different teams).

It seems to me that AV’s teams get better under his leadership. Even if hat only lasted 3-4 years before he wore out his welcome I would be fine with that as a Sabres fan.

Buffalo isn’t looking for a coach to take the to the Stanley cup. Thy need s9meone to get them back to respectability first.

I just feel st this time they need a proven veteran coach with a track record of success.

The Sabres have proven to be a difficult team to coach. They don’t have an established core of veteran leaders to get the young guys to buy-in and keep them in check.
I think we need a coach with a track record the kids can buy into.

Also, by far the most common complaint about any coach is the crappy veteran players he uses too much. I’ve hesrd it about every Sabres coach the last 2 decades. I hear it about even the best, like Babcock in Toronto.

I am not really sure AV would even be interested in Buffalo anyway, so it probably doesn’t matter.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Not surprised. Not the best hire. Not the worst hire. Probably best available option with Q off the table. Not sure who else we could have really turned to, short of going way outside the box with someone young/unproven.

I do not anticipate him sticking for the full 5 years, which will include one or both of Blake and Luc also being let go.

Short of a miracle to move contracts like Phanuef and Kovy, I just dont see anything the Kings can do to substantially improve their roster from last year. Too much dead weight. We're destined for the lottery for at least 2 more years IMO.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Poor Buffalo, I don't even know who they'll name as head coach. Think Steve Ott is possible if the Blues go far.

Might have to make a desperation move on Guy Boucher.

Vigneault might be a possibility, unless he's waiting patiently for Seattle.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is he? I’ve heard that but is it really true? I am honestly asking because I haven’t followed AV’s career closely enough to know. I’ve read up on him and followed from a distance.

Like, for example, I see Vesey getting more ice time in NY, but all his numbers look about the same.

I know younger players like the Sedin twins turned into super stars under AV, after mediocre starts to their careers. Kesler blossomed under AV as well.

He has 2 president’s trophies, a Jack Adams and a couple appearances in the finals (with 2 different teams).

It seems to me that AV’s teams get better under his leadership. Even if hat only lasted 3-4 years before he wore out his welcome I would be fine with that as a Sabres fan.

Buffalo isn’t looking for a coach to take the to the Stanley cup. Thy need s9meone to get them back to respectability first.

I just feel st this time they need a proven veteran coach with a track record of success.

The Sabres have proven to be a difficult team to coach. They don’t have an established core of veteran leaders to get the young guys to buy-in and keep them in check.

Also, by far the most common complaint about any coach is the crappy veteran players he uses too much. I’ve hesrd it about every Sabres coach the last 2 decades. I hear it about even the best, like Babcock in Toronto.

I am not really sure AV would even be interested in Buffalo anyway, so it probably doesn’t matter.

There's some where its overblown but AV is truely bad . Hitch i consider awful with younger players.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I thought he was going to Buffalo but whatever. I don’t understand why the same coaches get recycled over and over.

Yeah. I was thinking the same.

It's really reliant on puck-moving defensemen and forwards that are able to carry the puck to gain entry.

Also, he's probably the last coach I'd want for a rebuild/retool.

He only plays the players he trusts and he only trusts veteran players.

Basically every player that left the McLellan-era Oilers said the same thing. Didn't matter how well they were playing, they couldn't gain Todd's trust and they were benched or scratched because of it without a single conversation about why.

Reactions: RattsSSV

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

AV is a defence first coach, and he's at his worse when he's allowed to fully run the show. After Gillis was hired, he met with AV and rather than fire AV, he worked with AV and stressed that the team needed to play an uptempo system. This led to the Canucks most successful period ever.

I think AV is a good coach, and could be a successful coach in the current offensive era, but he needs a strong GM that will force him to play an offensive game.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Really hoping Dallas Eakins gets another chance with the Ducks...although that situation with the Ducks isn't that much better than the mess he coached in Edmonton at the moment.

they have legitimate leadership, great young players, a top 5 goalie and a killer d core.

what happened this year is almost unexplainable.

kesler gone and perry getting less ice time would help a lot with the kids. getzlaf is still a beast.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski

Didnt the Sabres just tried that with Phil Housley?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I find it hilarious that the thread about Todd going to Buffalo is filled with people saying he will be a bad fit and he is not a good coach. Then you have this thread where people say how bad they feel for Buffalo for not getting the guy.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

The same 40-some odd coaches get shuffled over and over.

I refer you to Hakstoi, Housley, and Eakins. I think the only new bloood that has been good is Cooper in recent years.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ask yourself how coaches with no NHL experience made out at the NHL level. Not good for the Flyers, Sabres, Rangers, Canucks, Panthers and so on. Can’t remember the last rookie coach that came in and had success. They have to start somewhere but starting as an assistant is the usual way and that doesn’t always work. It is more about finding a coach that can jell with the present roster, as the roster changes the coach usually changes with him.

If you are referring to Quinn, he has been very good this year. Just because the Rangers finished 6th worst doesn't mean he did a poor job. We weren't expected to win this year.

You can also look at Montgomery in Dallas who has them in the playoffs with a decent chance to make a run.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I refer you to Hakstoi, Housley, and Eakins. I think the only new bloood that has been good is Cooper in recent years.
Would veteran coaches have changed anything for those teams?

McLellan didn't exactly right the ship for Edmonton and he was an experienced coach.
Hakstol had a winning record with the Flyers during his tenure, similar Pts% to Laviolette with an arguably worse roster.
Bylsma failed with Buffalos roster as well.

New blood pretty much only gets a shot on garbage rosters because good teams don't have incentive to change coaches (because they are already good). I think a lot of good coaching talent probably gets buried by just bad rosters.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's extremely overrated. All of his success has been based around a veteran core in SJ that he barely had to coach, they actually got better/stayed the same the day he left. One of the worst in-game management coaches in the NHL.

Reactions: PattyLafontaine

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I find it hilarious that the thread about Todd going to Buffalo is filled with people saying he will be a bad fit and he is not a good coach. Then you have this thread where people say how bad they feel for Buffalo for not getting the guy.

:laugh: Right? It is the same on the Kings’ board, it is like a sweepstakes that no one wants to win but if you lose you still feel bad.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad