Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Now only one man can save Buffalo

75DA007F-EC5D-4423-BE70-BEC8F822E95F.jpeg

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
So who is left for Buffalo ? Hope they don't go for AV .
I would actually be very happy with AV as a Sabres fan.

He has a proven track record of getting teams into the playoffs. His teams have made it 9 of the last 10 years. Vancouver and NY both improved under him, as well.

The Sabres need a coach with experience. Someone who’s done it before and won’t be overwhelmed by the task at hand. The buffalo job is a heavy lift.

I am actually more worried about AV not even being interested in Buffalo.
I would feel lucky to have him at this point.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I think he's a good coach who would have been the best available option for the Sabres. He should have been the target when they ended up hiring Bylsma four years ago.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Torched the Oilers with SJ, stumbled with the Oil and will now kick our asses with the Kings.
How about leaving the Pacific, Todd? :naughty:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

The same 40-some odd coaches get shuffled over and over.

Really hoping Dallas Eakins gets another chance with the Ducks...although that situation with the Ducks isn't that much better than the mess he coached in Edmonton at the moment.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really hoping Dallas Eakins gets another chance with the Ducks...although that situation with the Ducks isn't that much better than the mess he coached in Edmonton at the moment.

Sistuation in anaheim is really overblown. I wouldnt mind eakins gettin the job. Hes done well with SD and knows a lot of our young players.

I think its a solid pick up for kings, at they very least they will be more exciting

Reactions: ibleedkings

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

The same 40-some odd coaches get shuffled over and over.

Teams are really risk adverse at one of their most important positions, too often inexperienced coaches come in and mess it all up. That being said, I think teams also fail to give new coaches enough of a leash. Look at Bednar in Colorado, not the best coach but he managed to hit the playoffs twice after a historically bad season. In a bigger market they'd probably have canned him after one year and he'd never set foot in the NHL again for a decade.

Reactions: RandomAvsFan

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I would actually be very happy with AV as a Sabres fan.

He has a proven track record of getting teams into the playoffs. His teams have made it 9 of the last 10 years. Vancouver and NY both improved under him, as well.

The Sabres need a coach with experience. Someone who’s done it before and won’t be overwhelmed by the task at hand. The buffalo job is a heavy lift.

I am actually more worried about AV not even being interested in Buffalo.
I would feel lucky to have him at this point.

AV is one of the worst coaches with young players you can have. He rides struggling veterans over young guys to no end. I do not think AV would be a good hire for the Sabres. Aren't their veteran players the problem ?

Reactions: trellaine201

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
#HockeyIsForEveryone*

*Only ex-coaches and players
Ask yourself how coaches with no NHL experience made out at the NHL level. Not good for the Flyers, Sabres, Rangers, Canucks, Panthers and so on. Can’t remember the last rookie coach that came in and had success. They have to start somewhere but starting as an assistant is the usual way and that doesn’t always work. It is more about finding a coach that can jell with the present roster, as the roster changes the coach usually changes with him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not sure his system will work with what LA has. We'll see.

Either way, have fun watching him hard match your top line against the opponents and never deviating or adjusting from the game plan.

Reactions: Phu

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
McLellan'll be able to squeeze more out of Kovy with his systems

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Teams are really risk adverse at one of their most important positions, too often inexperienced coaches come in and mess it all up. That being said, I think teams also fail to give new coaches enough of a leash. Look at Bednar in Colorado, not the best coach but he managed to hit the playoffs twice after a historically bad season. In a bigger market they'd probably have canned him after one year and he'd never set foot in the NHL again for a decade.
But is this really the case? Look at all the bad teams that hire experienced coaches and are still bad. Good teams don't have incentive to change coaches because they are already good. I'd be interested to see stats of bad teams records hiring a new coach opposed to some experienced ones.

I just don't see what McLellen has proven that makes a team excited to hire him for 5 years as opposed to bringing in some new ideas.

Reactions: Phu

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Not sure his system will work with what LA has. We'll see.

Either way, have fun watching him hard match your top line against the opponents and never deviating or adjusting from the game plan.

Honestly that sounds better for LA than it would have for the Sabres. I'd imagine putting Kopitar against other top lines all the time would have a positive effect.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Anyone at this point is better than WD...I happily welcome McLellen to the team and would encourage him to fart in Willie Dejardin's general direction on his way out.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I feel Buffalo will be lucky not end up with Randy, the way this coach search is trending

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McLellen is a very good systems coach, who will run a very structured game.
But his lack of in-game management will have you screaming in fits, and pulling out your hair.

I still can't believe McDavid faced an onslaught of shut-down lines and top pairing Norris Dmen AT HOME.
McLellan never cared for getting his prized horses away from the defensive drape, even if he totally could have. Even if you were down by a goal going into the third.

I'm pretty sure LA will finish a lot higher in the standings with him behind the bench, but watching him just roll lines at home when we had ZERO depth was AGGRAVATING.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->