Todd McLellan to be named Kings coach

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Assuming Mclellen knows what went wrong in Edmonton, knows what he should have changed to fix it if he had to do it over again, and was given the leeway to have input into those decisions, Buffalo would be the perfect re-do situation. Buffalo has all the same problems as Edmonton.

So you are suggesting that he's a good fit for Buffalo because they are similar to Edmonton and he failed there, so he just has to avoid the same mistakes?

Your perfect for the operation doctor, you killed the last patient so now ypu know what not to do!

Wow.

Reactions: sabresEH and North

North

Jun 25, 2009
Assuming Mclellen knows what went wrong in Edmonton, knows what he should have changed to fix it if he had to do it over again, and was given the leeway to have input into those decisions, Buffalo would be the perfect re-do situation. Buffalo has all the same problems as Edmonton.

Hate to break it to you but McLellan does not learn from his mistakes.

Reactions: exporta

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Musical chairs with the NHL coaching.

This guy was good 5 years ago.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is a predictable move for a GM who's afraid to rebuild and bet his job on an unknown quantity. He can't afford to go with Sturm like Chicago went with Colliton because this'll be his 3rd coaching hire. If this doesn't work out, he (Blake) will probably be the one looking for work next. Going with the most experienced coach means that his choice won't be second guessed and gives him the longest leash possible. Hiring McLellan likely extends Blake's GM tenure 2-3 years, whereas a rookie coach hire (like Sturm) and another disastrous season might've put him on the hot seat as early as this time next Spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingspiracy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Thing with McLellan is when hes talking to reporters or media, he is well spoken, it seems like for the most part he seems fairly smart and reasonable. But the decisions he makes in game or lack of decisions he makes in game, just make you scratch your head. From what I seen from him in Edmonton, he cant adapt or make adjustments in game. I also think its why San Jose could never get anywhere in the playoffs (talent still won them some series's) with him as a coach, by the end of a seven game series, the other coach has figured him out.

Last edited:

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Thing with McLellan is when hes talking to reporters or media, he is well spoken, it seems like for the most part he seems fairly smart and reasonable. But the decisions he makes in game or lack of decisions he makes in game, just make you scratch your head. From what I seen from him in Edmonton, he cant adapt or make adjustments in game. I also think its why San Jose could never get anywhere in the playoffs with him as a coach, by the end of a seven game series, the other coach has figured him out.

Pretty much. He has his plan that he made a decade ago and goes with it. No adapting or in game adjustments.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

The same 40-some odd coaches get shuffled over and over.

11 of the 31 coaches at the end of the season were in their first NHL head coaching gigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get the five years. Maybe if he had some success and was just moving on the try something new. However, McClellan didn't have success. Heck even his prior team the sharks did better once he left.

Unless it's about tota dollars of the contract. Tm is leaving a lot of cashfrom Edmonton so that could be part of it

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
The way head coaches are recycled in the NHL is baffling to me. Its like no team is willing to take a swing at new talent from other leagues.

Seriously. I can't believe there isn't any coaching talent in junior, NCAA, or Euro leagues. These retreads are just awful.

notheroic

Aug 2, 2005
Fort McMurray, AB
Don't understand in this thread why no mention of Ralph Krueger to take a job?
I think he got the ultimate raw deal in Edmonton. He's an intelligent coach. Did a great job with Team Europe in 2016.
Always was great building up that Swiss National Program.

He deserves another shot.
He's also expressed interest. (I know he's part of Southampton)

Reactions: 63 others

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Musical chairs with the NHL coaching.

This guy was good 5 years ago.
I don't think he was ever good.

He just coached a really good team 5 years ago. Since then, he's coached meh teams and he's shown his warts. Or maybe you can argue he's kept them hidden, since the Oilers lacked in talent and depth while he was there.

He's not good though. I mean, if the Kings had a great roster, is he bad enough to make them miss the playoffs? I don't think so. We're living in a century where we've seen Bob Hartley, Randy Carlyle and Dan Bylsma all win Stanley Cups as head coaches, while with STACKED teams with HOF caliber talent and all of those guys sucked. And so does Todd McLellan. I don't think the Kings are winning the cup in 2012 or 2014 if you swap him with Sutter.

He's an upgrade on Willie Desjardins, but who the hell isn't?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Todd McClelland must have a horseshoe up his hoop as he’s got to coach in 4 of the most desirable coaching destinations in the entire NHL.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit

I feel like very few NHL coaches are actually objectively bad coaches. Blaming the coach and firing him is in my view, purely a strategy to give fans hope for next year in a absence of significant roster improvements.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I feel like very few NHL coaches are actually objectively bad coaches. Blaming the coach and firing him is in my view, purely a strategy to give fans hope for next year in a absence of significant roster improvements.

Yes and no. Sure, it is a very symbolic gesture in many instances, but there are clear times when a coach's philosophy is just straight-up bad.

Willie D is a good example in LA. Just about every player on the roster hated him. He had no real interaction with them, was absent, wouldn't run practices, and didn't give much instruction. Sometimes it is the coach. If he loses confidence from players, management, and fans alike it is tough to ignore it and it exacerbates other problems with the team.

Sure, it isn't the only one, players need to take ownership and accept responsibility, but the man in the room that holds them accountable for that is the coach. If that check isn't in place then a team can easily fall apart.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad