Todd McLellan to be named Kings coach

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'd would be OK with him if he was taking over the Kings during their heyday. However, I don't think he's the right choice for what's expected to be a rebuilding team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I refer you to Hakstoi, Housley, and Eakins. I think the only new bloood that has been good is Cooper in recent years.

Cooper and Sullivan.

A few coaches haven't been horrible like Bednar, and I think he'll get another shot once he gets canned. But overall, they fail. Even the highly touted coaches like Eakins, Blashill, etc. who excel in lower leagues can't manage a team in the NHL.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
If you are referring to Quinn, he has been very good this year. Just because the Rangers finished 6th worst doesn't mean he did a poor job. We weren't expected to win this year.

You can also look at Montgomery in Dallas who has them in the playoffs with a decent chance to make a run.
Very good would mean the Rangers are in the playoffs, otherwise he has work to do. Lucky for Dallas they are in the west or they would be a lottery team, they will be one and done.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Very good would mean the Rangers are in the playoffs, otherwise he has work to do. Lucky for Dallas they are in the west or they would be a lottery team, they will be one and done.

No, it doesn't. The Rangers had different goals this year. Quinn's job was to teach and build a culture of hard work and accountability. He accomplished that.

No coach would have made the playoffs with this roster, especially after the sell off at the deadline.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ask yourself how coaches with no NHL experience made out at the NHL level. Not good for the Flyers, Sabres, Rangers, Canucks, Panthers and so on. Can’t remember the last rookie coach that came in and had success. They have to start somewhere but starting as an assistant is the usual way and that doesn’t always work. It is more about finding a coach that can jell with the present roster, as the roster changes the coach usually changes with him.

Babcock was a rookie when he took the Ducks to the finals

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This off season has not started out well for Buffalo first they move down the draft then they lose the coach they wanted.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I kind of laughed at the Buffalo Sabres rumblings, because I knew it was going to be the Los Angeles Kings.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I find it hilarious that the thread about Todd going to Buffalo is filled with people saying he will be a bad fit and he is not a good coach. Then you have this thread where people say how bad they feel for Buffalo for not getting the guy.
Thats the mentality here and in general on social media.

Complain & whine. Just for the sake of it.

Far from hilarious.

Reactions: deaderhead28

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'd take AV over McLellen personally.

AV for me is a coach for a team ready to take off . Not one that still needs to learn the ropes . I'd think AV to Philly honestly makes most sense. That core needs to f***ing get its shit together.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like a decent fit for both McLellan and the Kings. About the only coach in recent memory who could get the Oilers playing semi-competent defense for a long stretch of games. Not sure he wants any part of whatever the hell is going on in Buffalo.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
AV for me is a coach for a team ready to take off . Not one that still needs to learn the ropes . I'd think AV to Philly honestly makes most sense. That core needs to ****ing get its **** together.

And you think McLellen is one that can guide a rebuild? History proves AV is much better in that role.

Hed be a great fit in Buffalo, with a few roster moves in the off season. Buffalo isnt far off.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

serp

Jan 17, 2016
And you think McLellen is one that can guide a rebuild? History proves AV is much better in that role.

Hed be a great fit in Buffalo, with a few roster moves in the off season. Buffalo isnt far off.

I don't like either coach for Buffalo honestly. I think they should just re-hire Lindy Ruff.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
If you look at Mclellans coaching track record idk it’s pretty f***in impressive . I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a total mess and Kings miss playoffs for next 2 years and I also wouldn’t be shocked if they make the playoffs as early as next year .

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

Assuming Mclellen knows what went wrong in Edmonton, knows what he should have changed to fix it if he had to do it over again, and was given the leeway to have input into those decisions, Buffalo would be the perfect re-do situation. Buffalo has all the same problems as Edmonton.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't see a fit with the kings. he is a veteran oriented coach who lost patience and tried to run before he could walk instead of developing the oilers. unless the kings get very lucky with retool moves, i think he will try and squeeze more juice out of the old kings core and when that doesn't work the team will implode.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Unlike with the Oilers, with the Kings he will not be under the gun to get playoff results. The Kings need a coach that can bring structure and develop the youth, and that's how he will be judged in the next two years at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad