Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
This is 100% a "I need to show a return on investment immediately or I'm getting fired," type of hiring.

Yep.

NOW, even in light of all this, my personal opinion is: *if* this guy can actually teach the young'ins /integrate any incoming vets into his system so that it enables "Darryl Sutter v2.0" to actually make this team a true contender in the immediate aftermath of his tenure, then it's ultimately a successful hire (irrespective of the somewhat dubious rationale behind it).

--er, and of course, if they win a Cup with this guy at the helm, well then "Duh" on the success part; I'm just too jaded to forsee that happening...

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
In summary:
THE PLAN.
On-Say.
Patience.
Practice.
Old, but not in age.
New tricks.
Standards.
Weather is not a factor.
Staff in time.

Reactions: Telos

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yep.

NOW, even in light of all this, my personal opinion is: *if* this guy can actually teach the young'ins /integrate any incoming vets into his system so that it enables "Darryl Sutter v2.0" to actually make this team a true contender in the immediate aftermath of his tenure, then it's ultimately a successful hire (irrespective of the somewhat dubious rationale behind it).

--er, and of course, if they win a Cup with this guy at the helm, well then "Duh" on the success part; I'm just too jaded to forsee that happening...
Don't confuse being realistic with being jaded. You have a great understanding of where the organization is at this time.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I listened to the press conference. I came away with zero evidence for how Toddy is going to be any different than John Stevens, outside of coming in with a clean plate.

I heard a lot of rhetoric about older players getting along with younger players. But I heard squat that this guy was going to come in and murder the sacred cows that need killing. Let’s see if Kopitar and Brown are stapled together for 20+ minutes a night and taking 90 second shifts on PP1. Let’s see if he listens to Drew Doughty on who his partner should be. Let’s see if Quick starts more than 3 games in a row.

I’ll reserve future skepticism till camp, when we see how the plan and structure unfold.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Behind the scenes McLellan called Kopitar a mother****er and kicked his dog. E3.

No way he’s allowed to screw with Bark Madness. More like he demanded Kopitar double his time at rink from 45 minutes a day to 90 minutes.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Missed the presser. Did they disclose the actual terms of the contract (dinero + duration)? I know 5 years was mentioned previous.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You expected a plan in place? Blake and Luc don't need silly things like plans when they can just make dumb decisions on the spot.

To clarify, is it really too much to ask that they announce this hire after they've made a decision on who of the assistants is staying?
I guess it's foolish of me to think they'd have made that decision before the hire... Like wouldn't you introduce the complete Kings staff for next year at this presser?
I get You don’t like Blake and you’re looking for reasons to have a pop but I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I’d certainly be expecting the head coach to have significant input into the entire organisations coaching staff and there is no way that would be sorted this quickly. I wouldn’t even expect the Kings assistants to all be in place yet. I’m sure he has an idea of who he’d like in his staff but nothing is getting announced until it’s all negotiated and signed. So I’m not really sure what you realistically expect beyond a head coach announcement at this point.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I listened to the press conference. I came away with zero evidence for how Toddy is going to be any different than John Stevens, outside of coming in with a clean plate.

I heard a lot of rhetoric about older players getting along with younger players. But I heard squat that this guy was going to come in and murder the sacred cows that need killing. Let’s see if Kopitar and Brown are stapled together for 20+ minutes a night and taking 90 second shifts on PP1. Let’s see if he listens to Drew Doughty on who his partner should be. Let’s see if Quick starts more than 3 games in a row.

I’ll reserve future skepticism till camp, when we see how the plan and structure unfold.
To me, what will be most telling is if Doughty continues on the #1 power play when he slaps the puck into an opponent's shin guards 3 or 4 times a game, or if Kopitar is out there when he glues his ass to the half boards and never goes to the middle.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I thought he came across well and he’s made it clear that the vets are very much part of the solution, rather than just the coach. So he’s already making them accountable. The comment that the players gave themselves permission to basically give up so early on last season and that was completely unacceptable was spot on, and certainly shows he has some good insight.

I feel the structure we need is going to come quickly and that he will definitely make the vets take responsibility of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad