Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I get You don’t like Blake and you’re looking for reasons to have a pop but I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I’d certainly be expecting the head coach to have significant input into the entire organisations coaching staff and there is no way that would be sorted this quickly. I wouldn’t even expect the Kings assistants to all be in place yet. I’m sure he has an idea of who he’d like in his staff but nothing is getting announced until it’s all negotiated and signed. So I’m not really sure what you realistically expect beyond a head coach announcement at this point.
Dang it,stop with the rational thought comments.Youre suppose to whine about the new coach.Dont allow it to happen again.:thumbu:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I thought he came across well and he’s made it clear that the vets are very much part of the solution, rather than just the coach. So he’s already making them accountable. The comment that the players gave themselves permission to basically give up so early on last season and that was completely unacceptable was spot on, and certainly shows he has some good insight.

I feel the structure we need is going to come quickly and that he will definitely make the vets take responsibility of things.
Your post is to positive.Needs more negativity less reasonable.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dang, I mean, not that I expected it to be sunshine and rainbows in here, but the guy at least said all the right things, was clear and composed, and most importantly--realistic. His comments, combined with Blake's, give me some hope that those guys aren't just breathing hot air.

Some real good comments on the age gap: Tailoring a message to a team with both age, youth; reaching "the modern player" - LA Kings Insider

About relationships leading to accountability:

And realistic assessments:

Also a lot of talk about getting Toffoli going.

Again, not an 'exciting' hire, but I'm glad to hear realistic assessments, goals of accountability, and a pretty good 'feel' for the air around here right now.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
So...Blake presented 'THE PLAN' to TM.....McLellan said he 'LIKES THE PLAN'. We want to know THE PLAN!

Glad there is a plan and that we will see it implemented....no WD doing his own thing. TM communicating with each player what is expected.
Holding players accountable. Working with both the veterans and integrating the youth. I liked that he was direct, straight shooter, no "I'm not sure"...
or "We'll have to see"...nothing wishy washy. Nothing negative. I liked that he had a notebook, seems organized and seems he is one that commands respect.

I liked where he talked about coaching the younger players in a tournament and was loving the style of play - talking about players being fearless too.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
without getting overly positive: I'm cautiously optimistic. Liked what TM had to say

By no means am I expecting to be good next year. I just want progress and improvement in effort and character. I don't want to be a fan looking like i give more of a sh*t than the actual players.

Last edited:

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Liked what he had to say, now it's just up to the coaching staff to implement everything he said and we'll see if the players embrace it or the veterans do their usual pout fest cause of a 'big, bad, meanie coach'.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
most predictable vanilla higher ever, but he said the right things. Good to know that Blake shared with him a plan as it means he has one.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
most predictable vanilla higher ever, but he said the right things. Good to know that Blake shared with him a plan as it means he has one.
The plan is to offload as many overpaid vets as possible, but with the term of some of these contracts it is highly unlikely Blake will be able to do it.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The plan is to offload as many overpaid vets as possible, but with the term of some of these contracts it is highly unlikely Blake will be able to do it.

Gotta hope the vets buy in and play hard and rebound! Then we ship their asses outta here... for a nice return of course lol

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
After reading the presser, I'm fine with the hire. Sure there'll be second guessing and complaining about this guy or that guy. It's way too exhausting to biatch and moan about every little detail. In the end, it's about playing hockey. This season sucked on multiple levels. I lost faith in multiple players. Hopefully this is a change in the right direction, I'm curious to watch it unfold.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Kings GM Rob Blake needs to get things right this season or he may not get another chance

When the Kings introduced Todd McLellan at a news conference on Wednesday, Blake called him the right guy to be their coach. And we should believe it this time because …

“Personal experience, probably. And that’s what I relied heavily on,” said Blake, who played for McLellan when the 51-year-old Saskatchewan native coached the San Jose Sharks. “You can sit in an interview for a few hours and you can get probably the right answers to the questions you’re asking. I went through about 160, 180 meetings probably, four rounds of playoffs, different situations, but I got to see how he reacted, first and foremost.

“When I was looking at filling this position and understanding the task at hand I wanted to make sure that there was somebody that I knew pretty much every situation that was going to occur, I would understand how he would handle it.”

If Blake is wrong about his third coaching hire, he probably won’t be around to make a fourth hire. He smiled when asked if he felt pressure from his bosses to be sure his latest “right guy” truly is the right guy. “I feel pressure from myself to get this right, to be honest with you,” he said. “I need to get it right. You’re 100%.”

convincing...

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Toffoli and Brown said the practices sucked under Willie D.

Big whup, why should we care about the players whining that the interim coach couldn’t run a practice to their approval. It’s not like WD hid their skates and refused to let players work on their games. Somehow Wagner and Grundstrom as rookies figured out the NHL game without the coach holding their hand in practice.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Toffoli and Brown said the practices sucked under Willie D.

Big whup, why should we care about the players whining that the interim coach couldn’t run a practice to their approval. It’s not like WD hid their skates and refused to let players work on their games. Somehow Wagner and Grundstrom as rookies figured out the NHL game without the coach holding their hand in practice.

They didnt actually say why it sucked right? I'm assuming it was easy and there was no accountability from the coach. I agree it shouldn't have to be that way, just trying to understand what the issue was.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
They didnt actually say why it sucked right? I'm assuming it was easy and there was no accountability from the coach. I agree it shouldn't have to be that way, just trying to understand what the issue was.

The issue is players making weak excuses. Sutter was too mean, Stevens was too nice, Desjardins was uninspiring.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The issue is players making weak excuses. Sutter was too mean, Stevens was too nice, Desjardins was uninspiring.

The issue was guess half assing practices knowing they were going to play regardless...
that should let you know a few select pissed off the majority and not only did resentment grow among the factions but complacency set in... in the end, no one gave a shit and that attitude starts from the top... I’ll let you figure out who those candy asses might have been.. hint, they sat together during exit interviews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad