Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
And Bernstein doesn’t do that? What happened to all the trades that were supposed to happen involving the Kings? And are you his biggest fan?
No I like facts.Kings were on the phones trying to trade more players,the market wasnt their nor were the players performance numbers.I recalled they also said it they cant get it done by the trade deadline,look to the draft.I get it,some of you dont like the Mayor or Bernstein,but let's not make this seem personal.Dont hate those who get ahead of a story unlike many who wait for the deal to be done to announce it.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
No I like facts.Kings were on the phones trying to trade more players,the market wasnt their nor were the players performance numbers.I recalled they also said it they cant get it done by the trade deadline,look to the draft.I get it,some of you dont like the Mayor or Bernstein,but let's not make this seem personal.

Nothing personal, but you’re putting a guy with questionable credibility on a pedestal when others said the same thing over a month ago. If you’re going to question someone like Friedman, then I’m afraid the guy whose tires you are pumping looks far less credible.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
He seemed like a great guy, so sad how fast he deteriorated, that's a great story.
He gained alot of weight at that point.Adam signed my daughters sweater and he was really cool to talk to.Kings didnt win the cup yet so we talked about his overtime goal against Detroit in the playoffs.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Nothing personal, but you’re putting a guy with questionable credibility on a pedestal when others said the same thing over a month ago. If you’re going to question someone like Friedman, then I’m afraid the guy whose tires you are pumping looks far less credible.
No I give credit when its due.Hey I respect everyone's opinion on here on everything,even if I dont agree.We may get in it one second,but I will like a post by the same poster when we do agree.Its never personal with anyone,its all in fun and debating and sharing.Some tho take it to far on the boards.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Just for the record,Mayor did mentioned him in a Jan radio interview.Bernstein below.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There isn't an inherent problem with Hoven or DB, it's only a problem when posters on here treat their comments as gospel.

The majority of things they get right are common sense moves. They definitely have sources but that doesn't mean everything they say is from said sources as opposed to just connecting dots: something many of us can do with no sources.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't care one bit about the reputations of Bernstein or Hoven. Rumor-mongers gonna rumor. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong.

I'm really curious as to how players under McLellan have felt about him. Obviously Blake had a high opinion; otherwise he wouldn't have hired him. Players and GMs interact with the coach on a nearly daily basis, so they must have some opinions about the qualities that make McLellan a good or not so good coach.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
We could've waited one more day for the firing of Quenneville, but signed Desjardins.
We could've waited one more day for the firing of Cooper, but signed McLellan.

Meh.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Good luck, Todd.
We could've waited one more day for the firing of Quenneville, but signed Desjardins.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think there will be better coaches available after the playoffs. BLuc should have waited to make the hire instead of dropping their pants and giving the koala a lucrative deal for no real reason. We heard squat about any candidates for the Kings job who wasn’t a buddy of Blake.

This management team reeks of incompetence. I hope some reporter asks what this hire means for the rebuild of this franchise.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There isn't an inherant problem with Hoven or DB, it's only a problem when posters on here treat their comments as gospel.

The majority of things they get right are common sense moves. They definitely have sources but that doesn't mean everything they say is from said sources as opposed to just connecting dots: something many of us can do with no sources.
It has been a long time since I have seen DB, but as much as he may rub people the wrong way on-line he is really a good guy and a Kings fanatic (at least in his younger days). I know he had great sources regarding injuries to Kings players. His info on trades, not so good.

Hoven I take with a grain of salt. I think his sources and info have improved since Lombardi's departure, as I don't think Dean gave him the time of day.

As a side note, I don't think Dean liked NotHelen very much. Her reporting was so negative up until 2012 that Dean was tired of her act by the time the Kings won. I asked Dean once what was up with her, and to paraphrase he said something like, "We rarely get good reporting out of her on what we are trying to accomplish. It's better to talk to fans who I know are active on fan sites, because the word about what we are really trying to do gets out there much better."

I think NotHelen always thought Dean, or any Kings GM, could just wave a magic wand and make them contenders overnight. To me, she never really understood how to build an NHL roster properly.

Last edited:

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

Meh.

You really think Quenneville would've accepted the job?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Meh.

Jon Cooper was fired? Where did you read this?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
McLellan huh? Honestly even my indifference is indifferent to this hire. It's nothing new. It's not a bold new direction or a complete unknown being given a chance. It's the same old, same old safe bet, veteran coaching hire.

I wanted a new direction. This is the opposite of that. This move screams of Blake trying to save his job, which hopefully it is. This will be his third coach in his short time here and if it's the wrong call, again, he needs to be shown the door.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I don't mind McLellan, at least he has some NHL experience and playoff experience (good or bad). What I don't want is Blake trying to make moves all next season. He should get his roster spots 90% set over the summer. Leave a little room for competition, call ups and minor tweaks at the TDL. The line combos should be set at camp and build chemistry but for the most part it gives the coach a chance to evaluate the roster and make some tweaks. If Carter, Quick ,Toffoli etc... don't fit in the long term plans move them ASAP. I don't want another year of trade rumors that distract the team and the young prospects who are trying to develop.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
McLellan huh? Honestly even my indifference is indifferent to this hire. It's nothing new. It's not a bold new direction or a complete unknown being given a chance. It's the same old, same old safe bet, veteran coaching hire.

I wanted a new direction. This is the opposite of that. This move screams of Blake trying to save his job, which hopefully it is. This will be his third coach in his short time here and if it's the wrong call, again, he needs to be shown the door.

Agreed with virtually all of this post. Specific to the bolded: given the length of the contract, my guess is that Blake's thinking (at least in part) is, "Locking this guy in for five years buys a lot of time for fortunes to change - hopefully this guy squeezes enough out of the core and young'ins to get 'em into the playoffs fairly soon, and if they at least tread-water after that, I'll extend him, and hey, I'll get to stick around myself! If not, hey, I got five more years out of my Kings' career...."

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How about Futa for a first. Does anyone know if something like this has happened before?

The Kings gave a pick to acquire Lombardi as GM. They did away with the practice afterwards though, and received no compensation when Flyers acquired Hextall to be GM.

I don't think trading pics for execs has been done since. If it has, I've completely forgotten about it.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I don't care one bit about the reputations of Bernstein or Hoven. Rumor-mongers gonna rumor. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong.

I'm really curious as to how players under McLellan have felt about him. Obviously Blake had a high opinion; otherwise he wouldn't have hired him. Players and GMs interact with the coach on a nearly daily basis, so they must have some opinions about the qualities that make McLellan a good or not so good coach.

The connections and rumors thing...they have sources...but recall that Hammond dropped something about the Patrick O'Sullivan trade early and got busted. Do not recall the particulars.
I am sure if Hoven or DB know anything, they are sworn to withhold info. And also, there may be certain trade talks that they could know something about and just drop there are rumors, without divulging anything. And some trade talks are over a period of months. Blake mentioned the Muzzin deal was over a period of time and when he felt good about the changes in the deal / players, he pulled the trigger. Now someone like Friedman may be able to drop more accurate stuff, as he has no ties to the organization, whereas if Hoven or DB leak, they lose their ties to the Kings.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
At the end of the day, my only issue with it is when someone goes "Mayor says xyz..." like, oh, then that's what's going to happen.

I check in on his tweets but everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The only problem is those that read his stuff while on a no-sodium diet.

Also, call him Hoven. Calling him "Mayor" is the other thing that bugs me.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The connections and rumors thing...they have sources...but recall that Hammond dropped something about the Patrick O'Sullivan trade early and got busted. Do not recall the particulars.
I am sure if Hoven or DB know anything, they are sworn to withhold info. And also, there may be certain trade talks that they could know something about and just drop there are rumors, without divulging anything. And some trade talks are over a period of months. Blake mentioned the Muzzin deal was over a period of time and when he felt good about the changes in the deal / players, he pulled the trigger. Now someone like Friedman may be able to drop more accurate stuff, as he has no ties to the organization, whereas if Hoven or DB leak, they lose their ties to the Kings.
Just trying to get this thread back to the new coach, which is way more important than two bloggers.
Press conference is live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad