Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Maybe walk out with a bunch of ewoks and the band from Jabbas layer playing some catchy tunes in the background?

giphy.gif

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Agreed with virtually all of this post. Specific to the bolded: given the length of the contract, my guess is that Blake's thinking (at least in part) is, "Locking this guy in for five years buys a lot of time for fortunes to change - hopefully this guy squeezes enough out of the core and young'ins to get 'em into the playoffs fairly soon, and if they at least tread-water after that, I'll extend him, and hey, I'll get to stick around myself! If not, hey, I got five more years out of my Kings' career...."

I made my post before I saw it was 5 years. It is exactly like you said. Blake is trying to save his butt with this signing. He signed a veteran coach with a track record of regular season success in the hopes of it saving his job, because his previous two hires were total duds.

This is 100% a "I need to show a return on investment immediately or I'm getting fired," type of hiring.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Sounds like no decisions have been made about the existing staff.

You expected a plan in place? Blake and Luc don't need silly things like plans when they can just make dumb decisions on the spot.

To clarify, is it really too much to ask that they announce this hire after they've made a decision on who of the assistants is staying?
I guess it's foolish of me to think they'd have made that decision before the hire... Like wouldn't you introduce the complete Kings staff for next year at this presser?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm ok with this hire listening to TM speak.Were not looking to be Stantly Cup contenders next season and this team needs structure immediately.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad