Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings GM Rob Blake needs to get things right this season or he may not get another chance

When the Kings introduced Todd McLellan at a news conference on Wednesday, Blake called him the right guy to be their coach. And we should believe it this time because …

“Personal experience, probably. And that’s what I relied heavily on,” said Blake, who played for McLellan when the 51-year-old Saskatchewan native coached the San Jose Sharks. “You can sit in an interview for a few hours and you can get probably the right answers to the questions you’re asking. I went through about 160, 180 meetings probably, four rounds of playoffs, different situations, but I got to see how he reacted, first and foremost.

“When I was looking at filling this position and understanding the task at hand I wanted to make sure that there was somebody that I knew pretty much every situation that was going to occur, I would understand how he would handle it.”

If Blake is wrong about his third coaching hire, he probably won’t be around to make a fourth hire. He smiled when asked if he felt pressure from his bosses to be sure his latest “right guy” truly is the right guy. “I feel pressure from myself to get this right, to be honest with you,” he said. “I need to get it right. You’re 100%.”

convincing...
Thought you were leaving until 2024?

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Toffoli should just shut his mouth, the way he has played since about Christmas of 2017 he has no room to talk about the way anyone is coaching or running practices. He sucked under both Stevens and WD.

I respect Brown's opinion a bit more as he has atleast delivered on the ice the last couple of seasons, but the Kings sucked last year because the roster sucks

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Toffoli should just shut his mouth, the way he has played since about Christmas of 2017 he has no room to talk about the way anyone is coaching or running practices. He sucked under both Stevens and WD.

I respect Brown's opinion a bit more as he has atleast delivered on the ice the last couple of seasons, but the Kings sucked last year because the roster sucks

I don't know if it was Blake or McLellan who said something, but basically one of them intimated that a player has no business saying the practice was pathetic unless they were actually trying hard in practice themselves.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
One of the causes of the locker room schism this past season.. guys been entitled after he scored 30 goals and thought he was worth $6mill

I hope he is traded this summer, but at the very latest he's gone at the deadline.

The only possible way TT is a King beyond this next season is if he plays really well and gives the Kings a significant hometown discount (which rarely happens).

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
One of the causes of the locker room schism this past season.. guys been entitled after he scored 30 goals and thought he was worth $6mill
So, this schism. Please explain, what do you mean? You talk as though it’s fact but as far as I can tell, it’s based on conjecture.

I can see how you can extrapolate there may be a cultural schism in terms of how you get the best out of the older and younger guys but no more than that. It seems you imply they just don’t like each other, although I may very well be misunderstanding what you mean. It’s just that from some internet opinion on the subject, I’ve not seen anything else to support the view.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
So, this schism. Please explain, what do you mean? You talk as though it’s fact but as far as I can tell, it’s based on conjecture.

I can see how you can extrapolate there may be a cultural schism in terms of how you get the best out of the older and younger guys but no more than that. It seems you imply they just don’t like each other, although I may very well be misunderstanding what you mean. It’s just that from some internet opinion on the subject, I’ve not seen anything else to support the view.

There was a divide with how certain guys about how to be a professional, that includes practices, interviews, team play on the ice, accountability...

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I like the hire. Didn't start any sentence with the word "obviously"

ob·vi·ous·ly
/ˈäbvēəslē/
adverb
  1. in a way that is easily perceived or understood; clearly.

Reactions: deaderhead28

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I like the hire. Didn't start any sentence with the word "obviously"

ob·vi·ous·ly
/ˈäbvēəslē/
adverb
  1. in a way that is easily perceived or understood; clearly.
Setting a low bar there...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How sad is it that a coach who was only around for four seasons is the fifth most successful coach in team history, and fourth all-time in games coached?

Should also mention that since McLellan is often linked to the reverse sweep in 2014, he was also behind the Sharks' bench for this momentous game.

Reactions: ibleedkings

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm looking forward to seeing what Todd can do for this team. He's without a doubt the best coach the Kings have had since Sutter, and the guy knows how to get wins. I always liked his system and it always seemed like his players respected him. As mentioned before, he is also very good with young players. He knows where to put guys in order to reach their full potential. If the draft is successful and Mclellan's vision works out, this team will be back to contending sooner than most would expect. I feel like Kopitar will benefit greatly from a TMac system, and really most of the vets in general.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
LOL, why?? We've won two cups since then to SJ's zero...we've clearly made up for this one.

The 2012-14 run has pretty much completely wiped the memories of those games against SJ in 2011 from my memory and I was also there for them.

Not having Kopitar going in to that series led to zero expectations.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

this sounds like Cammaleri haha

Honestly I do not think Toffoli has sounded entitled, but it is too bad he has not gotten back there

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The 2012-14 run has pretty much completely wiped the memories of those games against SJ in 2011 from my memory and I was also there for them.

Not having Kopitar going in to that series led to zero expectations.

You didn't think they could make a deep run with Jarret Stoll as the 1C?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
How sad is it that a coach who was only around for four seasons is the fifth most successful coach in team history, and fourth all-time in games coached?

Should also mention that since McLellan is often linked to the reverse sweep in 2014, he was also behind the Sharks' bench for this momentous game.

That loss was so painful. One of the worst losses I’ve ever seen live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad