Confirmed with Link: Todd McLellan: Fired (Thanks for the Playoff memories)

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Don't shoot the carrier pigeon.

If any of this is to be true and accurate...I don't even know what to say. I don't believe any of it myself personally, but here it is.

Edmonton Oilers News: A Decision Was Made, Win in California or You’re Toast
Who the heck is this guy and where is he getting his information?

The last thing I want is an owner calling an all hands meeting and telling the hockey people what to do. This just sounds like a badly written fan fiction.

Reactions: McDaddy

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Although many of us were desperate for a change and unhappy with the results of last season and this one so far I think we can all take pause to thank Todd McLellan for his time here.

Let’s not forget Todd was at the helm in 2016-2017. That was our only playoffs in the last 12 years, something 7 other coaches in the organization were not able to achieve in that time period. And we won a round and should have made it to the semi’s had we not suffered from a few ill timed stumbles.

Thank you Todd for bringing that playoff magic back to Edmonton even if the moment was fleeting, I hope that Hitch can build on the good work you did and lead this team to the first of multiple Cups this season!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Although many of us were desperate for a change and unhappy with the results of last season and this one so far I think we can all take pause to thank Todd McLellan for his time here.

Let’s not forget Todd was at the helm in 2016-2017. That was our only playoffs in the last 12 years, something 7 other coaches in the organization were not able to achieve in that time period. And we won a round and should have made it to the semi’s had we not suffered from a few ill timed stumbles.

Thank you Todd for bringing that playoff magic back to Edmonton even if the moment was fleeting, I hope that Hitch can build on the good work you did and lead this team to the first of multiple Cups this season!

Thanks Matt. Goodluck tonight!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He did bring structure to the team at a point where they really needed it (thank you Dallas Eakins).

Everything else was a failure.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
e8a.gif

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
You were better than Eakins. Thanks, I guess. To be fair, you seemed like a decent human being and you were asked to put a lot of polish on a steaming turd.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hey, you brought us a winning team for a season. Well, you were involved in a winning team.

Your name is there with the other names of the winning team. There, that's the one.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What do

Pat Quinn
Tom Renney
Ralph Krueger
Dallas Eakins
Todd Nelson
Todd McLellan

all have in common? . . .

Maybe, just maybe, the coach wasn't the problem. I'm reminded of the time Trump blamed Scaramucci for his problems.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe overall he did his best with what he was given. Cant make chicken soup with chicken shit. Wish him well and thanks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Might have been time for a new coach. But doesn’t desreve nearly the vitriol he’s gotten here. Some team is going to get a good coach when they hire mclellan. And he’ll get another job.

I pity the organization that hires Chiarelli when he eventually gets turfed here.

Biggest culprit for this roster wasn’t fired today.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Todd becomes another fall guy in a long list of fall guys. Treating the symptoms instead of the cause same old Oilers.

He wasn't great, but happy trails Todd. I have no doubt he'll find another gig.

Reactions: sepHF

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Might have been time for a new coach. But doesn’t desreve nearly the vitriol he’s gotten here. Some team is going to get a good coach when they hire mclellan. And he’ll get another job.

I pity the organization that hires Chiarelli when he eventually gets turfed here.

Biggest culprit for this roster wasn’t fired today.

Agreed. I didn'like him as a coach but the roster he has been given is not even close to a playoff calibre roster. Hard to have a good team when the best trade your GM's s a collective have made in the past 5, 6 or 7 years is trading a pick for Maroon. Yikes.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Thanks for improving the Oilers goal differential by 120 goals over your first two seasons with the team.
Thanks for nurturing McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH into being better players, McDavid likely would of got there on his own, but we will never know for sure if he would of progressed as well under someone else.
Thank you for getting the best performances to date out of Maroon, Letestu, and Davidson (possibly Chiasson as well).
Thank you for continuing to believe in Caggiula when I was about ready to give up on him, he's starting to look like he could factor into our top 9 on a more long term basis.
Thank you for giving the team the best semblance of structure it had since Renney.

As per usual the coach gets the brunt of the blame for a poorly run organization and/or a poorly constructed team. He deserves some blame for sure, but not quite as much as he received.

I do think it was time for a change, but I think with the benefit of hindsight people won't look on McLellan tenure with as much disdain, the bulk of the blame belongs squarely at Chia's feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad