Confirmed with Link: Todd McLellan: Fired (Thanks for the Playoff memories)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
New assistant coaches yet the PP and PK are still struggling. Our young players minus 97 and 29 are at best barely treading water. He's been overplaying the holy hell out of 97 and 93 and both look like they are plain assed tired out there the last handful of games. There has to be someone that can come in here and do a better job than Todd.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The fact that I thought Kruger was not a good coach at the Time when he accomplished what he did with a garbage roster is crazy. Compared to tmac who can can't get a pp with McDavid and drai on it to score, Kruger was a god.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The fact that I thought Kruger was not a good coach at the Time when he accomplished what he did with a garbage roster is crazy. Compared to tmac who can can't get a pp with McDavid and drai on it to score, Kruger was a god.

We also thought that Woodcroft sucked yet so far he's doing a damn fine job of winning while also developing the prospects.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Brilliant coach swapping RNH for Drai when Drai has been pretty brutal the last handful of games especially with his compete level. The guy was getting knocked off the puck by f***ing Girard last game added onto his giveaways galore and he gets a promotion out of it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can it really get worse? Unless MacT convinces Chia or Katz that Eakins is the best fit for the job I don't see how anyone would be a downgrade.
You know as well as anyone that it can always get worse. Unless we're bringing in Quennville (not happening), or some Boudreau-like up and coming coach (also not happening) I think you're stuck with Todd or Glen Gulutzan for the remainder of the season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You know as well as anyone that it can always get worse. Unless we're bringing in Quennville (not happening), or some Boudreau-like up and coming coach (also not happening) I think you're stuck with Todd or Glen Gulutzan for the remainder of the season.

Let's say that we hire Todd Nelson, would that really be worse? Unless we hire MacT or Eakins will it really be worse? I mean unless they hire someone with no coaching experience at all it should be an upgrade just based on there being a new voice in the room.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There is at least a half dozen people in this org that should be gone at the same time. There should never be an either or angle to the oilers coaching and front office. They are almost all terrible and all should be purged.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Let's say that we hire Todd Nelson, would that really be worse? Unless we hire MacT or Eakins will it really be worse? I mean unless they hire someone with no coaching experience at all it should be an upgrade just based on there being a new voice in the room.
I have no idea why Todd Nelson would cross the burnt bridge. But sure, why not.

It's just me but I think there's a reason why Nelson never got a shot as a HC anywhere in the NHL.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
MacT is the best HC this team has employed since the Gretzky era. I would prefer him over anyone currently employed in this organization.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I’m not convinced Gulutzan would be worse. There’s a decent chance he’d be better, I think.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have no idea why Todd Nelson would cross the burnt bridge. But sure, why not.

It's just me but I think there's a reason why Nelson never got a shot as a HC anywhere in the NHL.

$ and opportunity maybe?

Too many people banking on veteran coaches like Todd.

MacT is the best HC this team has employed since the Gretzky era. I would prefer him over anyone currently employed in this organization.

A) That's not saying much
B) That's very debatable

Low did a lot with teams with minimal talent and on a shoestring budget.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The next GM should be the one to hire the next coach, not Chiarelli.

Did Montreal change their coach? Why are they so much better? Is it because the GM actually went out and brought in several good players in Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Tatar?

Did Vancouver change their coach? Or are they better because their GM hit pay dirt with a no.5 and no.23 pick (Petterson and Boeser) and delivered his coach two stud players whereas here with a no.4 pick and no.16 and no.33 picks they got what out of it?

I'm fine with Todd being gone, but the GM needs to go first. A new GM should be the one given the authority to hire his own guy, otherwise you have a less than ideal situation where later on you're probably bringing in a new GM that may not like the coach you've hired and now you have to change again.

Peter had his chance to fire Todd last year. Now that he's failed again in the summer to bring in any real help for this team, his authority to do anything should be relinquished and the correct process is to hire a new GM and let them chose their own coach in lieu of Todd.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
MacT wasn’t a bad coach. You look at the results he got from some very average rosters without a player like McDavid and it far surpasses what McLellan has done.

Reactions: Pugilist

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Lol. You must not have seen any flames games last year.
Flames have been horribly overrated for years, much like the Oilers I suppose I would have to admit, so I dunno how much their struggles were his fault. Obviously if he excelled at his job, they would have done better though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lol. You must not have seen any flames games last year.

You mean when his team finished above the TM-led Oilers despite similar issues (lack of depth scoring, inconsistent defense and goaltending)?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
$ and opportunity maybe?

Too many people banking on veteran coaches like Todd.

A) That's not saying much
B) That's very debatable

Low did a lot with teams with minimal talent and on a shoestring budget.
No it's really not debatable. He literally had the best record and winning percentage of any Oilers coach since the 80s. And the teams he coached weren't hot shit either. I have faith his PP setup would be light years more effective.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Did Montreal change their coach? Why are they so much better? Is it because the GM actually went out and brought in several good players in Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Tatar?

Did Vancouver change their coach? Or are they better because their GM hit pay dirt with a no.5 and no.23 pick (Petterson and Boeser) and delivered his coach two stud players whereas here with a no.4 pick and no.16 and no.33 picks they got what out of it?

I'm fine with Todd being gone, but the GM needs to go first. A new GM should be the one given the authority to hire his own guy, otherwise you have a less than ideal situation where later on you're probably bringing in a new GM that may not like the coach you've hired and now you have to change again.

Peter had his chance to fire Todd last year. Now that he's failed again in the summer to bring in any real help for this team, his authority to do anything should be relinquished and the correct process is to hire a new GM and let them chose their own coach in lieu of Todd.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

So here's a question for you. Let's say that Nicholson and Katz feel that McLellan is the issue and that Chia has done an ok job to date (not trying to argue that Chia is great) would it be worthwhile to axe the coach so that Chia no longer has anywhere else to point the finger? One of the reasons that I wanted Todd gone before this season was to see what the team could do under new guidance to see if they could get this team back to '16-17 levels or if Chia should be gone ASAP and remove all doubt. The longer that the coach stays, the longer that Chia stays by proxy. Unless Katz wants both the coach and GM out, get rid of Todd and get the clock started on Chia right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad