Confirmed with Link: Todd McLellan: Fired (Thanks for the Playoff memories)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The question which is never really asked concerns the guy at the top of the food chain.

Who exactly is Daryl Katz?? Those stories that surfaced last year were pretty disturbing but you notice how the media almost immediately threw a blanket on it like you would on a grease fire that was out of control.

I tell you one thing, there are no investigative reporters in the City of Edmonton. Mind you, we don't have any here in Calgary either. The days of real reporting are long gone.

Reactions: Canada Drai

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We don't have the horses for long winning streaks. Because only a couple players can actually move the needle, but you burn them out because they're the only ones who make a difference. That's why the season seems lost with slides like these. We can't afford 2 losses in a row with the depth we have let alone 6 in 7.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not sure what he ever brought anyway. It was always a mystery to me.
This:

zUPpu6b.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So what exactly are they waiting for? Season already feels dead in the water. Is there no urgency to right the ship? Todd likely knows he’s toast too. A glacier moves faster than this organization.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The thing I don't understand is either the season is salvageable but its apparent tmac is all out of answers, or it isn't salvageable and we're screwed and it doesn't matter. The pessimist in me is screaming they're keeping him to lead the tank :/

Fire him and chia and get coach q and Lombardi or whoever is the best candidate.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
The formula is out there on how the Edmonton lines should look but our HC wont be able to figure it out till the season is done. He ran with Drai and McDavid most of last season and the results spoke for themselves. Oilers were 8-4-1 this season with them on two separate lines and yet here we are with them together again and a huge losing streak. Pittsburgh has the formula. Sid basically plays with two third liners (Simon and Guetzel), Malkin usually plays with Kessel. McDavid should be with Chiasson and Spooner; Draisatl with RNH and Cuggulia and you now have 2 balanced lines. McDavid can play with me and still produce results.
Coach should have been gone earlier. Babcock was out there and IMO would have taken the Oiler job over Toronto. The best player on the planet was just drafted here, who wouldn't have wanted the job? MacT and the old regime jumped on McClellan before Chia was even hired and here we are.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The season is still ****ing salvageable.

I think if we lose the next game Todd has to get fired the heat is scorching hot right now

Without taking too much influence from all the negative posts I honestly feel Chia has done a bad job, bad enough to justify firing him. However, I also feel this season can still be salvaged. The team is capable of doing well enough to get to the playoffs and maybe even more. The following moves could do wonders:

1. A new coach. It's actually very rare (at least for me) to have such a strong feeling the coach is behind so many problems. Better PP and PK, better usage of players, wiser and more stable lines, better development and communication... Fixing all or even most of them would help a lot.

2. Koskinen. If the team keeps playing like they've done with Koskinen and if Koskinen keeps this level or even keeps getting better with more experience in NA that'll provide quite a few extra points. After all even this season the record with Koskinen is good and time will tell if it keeps staying like that.

3. Help from Bakersfield. Puljujarvi scored 6+3 in 12 games last November with practically no PP time, so if he could get back to that level with the help of Woodcroft and the new Oilers coach that'd help the team a lot. Then there's e.g. Yamo, who could hopefully be at a whole new level by spring.

4. Hopefully at least one good move from Chia, at least to provide a good enough 3C to replace Strome.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Katz needs to grow a set of balls.

He needs to call a meeting with all the uppers in this organization, and ask, "should we fire the coach"
Who ever answers no, he should fire every single one of them on the spot.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Katz needs to grow a set of balls.

He needs to call a meeting with all the uppers in this organization, and ask, "should we fire the coach"
Who ever answers no, he should fire every single one of them on the spot.

Whatever happened with this supposed meeting that he flew into town for yesterday? Or was all of that just speculation?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
New assistant coaches yet the PP and PK are still struggling. Our young players minus 97 and 29 are at best barely treading water. He's been overplaying the holy hell out of 97 and 93 and both look like they are plain assed tired out there the last handful of games. There has to be someone that can come in here and do a better job than Todd.

I have one good reason McLellan should have stayed head coach.
his name is Hitchcock.

Reactions: Summary

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you for your time Todd. I know its not easy being away from your family for 3/4 of the year. Wish you the best in your next adventure.

Signed A fan

Reactions: EternalFrost

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I bet they fired him after the game and didn't tell anyone. They paid for his flight home and I bet Hitch was waiting for the team in San Jose.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Hitch has a reputation of turning around teams, somewhat. My guess is he is on a two year deal and that the money is very reasonable, making it an easier financial sell for PC to make to Nicholson and Katz.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Gregor just indicated on Lowetide that two players told him Vivieros has had no input on the PP. Wasnt he known to be PP guru.

I was so tired of McLellan. So many stupid things he did. I dont know if Hitchcock will work out but I am glad that McLellan is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad