Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident, 20 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
unfortunate series of incidents where the classiest person got the worst outcome

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I wouldn't be shocked if this was a lifetime ban for Bertuzzi in today's world with how far-reaching media is. It would blow up and be a huge story across sports like it was when it happened (as I understand it). Yes, Bertuzzi's career continued well into the emergence of massive social media platforms but memories were already fading and emotions softening by then. Besides, there was vocal pushback for criminal charges and a permanent expulsion even back then. If it happened fresh today the NHL might not be able to weather the storm of public outcry.

Reactions: Regal and Kamina

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Cooke was dirty. But he was soft. No one is scared of fighting that clown . Face it your boy Moore took the bitch route out by fighting Cooke.
That's on Vancouver for having Cooke fight him then.

It's not Moore's fault that Bertuzzi broke his neck with a suckerpunch. Moore had already fought. The two teams had already played a game since the Naslund hit. The Canucks deciding they want more revenge in a blowout game is entirely on them.

I always thought it was a f***ing dumb decision to play Moore in the third period of an 8-2 blowout.

If you have to keep a player off the ice to prevent the opponent from doing him grievous bodily harm, that's an NHL problem. That's not an Avs problem.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
McSorely was found guilty but he used the stick.
I always found the 2000 McSorley-on-Brashear incident overblown by fans/media. On the hockey-scale of "bad" for that era, it was maybe a 7 / 10. (There's also the fact that Brashear had been goading McSorley into fighting through that whole game, and when McSorley finally said 'okay', Brashear ran away. Hence the skull tap. Brashear had been literally "asking for it.") In the late 1980s and through the 1990s, I saw much worse incidents than that get little or no media attention. McSorley's worst incident by far was the 1988 playoffs in which (while with Edmonton) he speared 40-goal scorer Mike Bullard just as Bullard jumped onto the ice (they'd had no previous contact). Bullard was out of the series and basically his prime was over. I think there was a penalty called (?), but it was basically forgotten the next day.
The fact that Bertuzzi ever played a shift after this assault in the NHL is a stain on the game, and on the teams he was on.
Yes, but per the standards of the time (say, late-80s to early 00s' NHL), it wasn't that unusual. Had Moore not suffered a serious neck injury, I suspect that incident likely would have been passed over and forgotten fairly quickly, too. (I mean, there were Canucks' games in the 90s where Gino Odjick drove players' heads into the ice from behind, but we don't remember it because nobody had a career-ending neck injury.)

To its credit, the NHL did clean all this stuff up, but it was damn slow about it....
The repercussions from this and the subsequent lawsuit basically destroyed Marc Crawford's career as a NHL HC. This incident and his actions will follow him to the grave. Bertuzzi was just a tool in Crawford's tool box.
Well, he had one more year with Van (post-Lock Out), then 2 years with LA, and 2 years with Dallas. Kept trying to cling to Dan Cloutier, for reasons known only to Crawford.
Bertuzzi was also never the same player after this.
As others have said, Bertuzzi was already in a major (basically season-long) slump before this incident occurred.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was living in Vancouver at the time as a kid. I remember the whole class talking about it before and after because Moore cheap shotted Naslund.

But... the moral of this whole story is two wrongs don't make a right.

The sad thing is this completely ruined Bertuzzi's legacy with the Cancuks. If it weren't for this incident who knows if the Luongo trade happens and Bertuzzi ends up in the Ring on Honour. He and Naslund were the Canucks that were adored the most.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Probably because nobody is celebrating that

Who is celebrating this?

why doesnt anyone talk about the time when chara almost killed max pacioretty

Completely different incidents. Chara probably shouldn’t have made the hit but it was a hockey play that went awry. Patches also came back ok. Bertuzzi’s play was a blatant premeditated sucker punch with history behind it. And Moore never played again.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't be shocked if this was a lifetime ban for Bertuzzi in today's world with how far-reaching media is. It would blow up and be a huge story across sports like it was when it happened (as I understand it). Yes, Bertuzzi's career continued well into the emergence of massive social media platforms but memories were already fading and emotions softening by then. Besides, there was vocal pushback for criminal charges and a permanent expulsion even back then. If it happened fresh today the NHL might not be able to weather the storm of public outcry.

Yea, I don’t get the comments that it’d be less today. There was still a lot more that was let go in that era, and social media is far more up in arms these days. Bertuzzi also had the lockout kind of take attention away from him when he returned. I don’t know how it’d play out today for sure but I highly doubt he’d miss fewer games

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I am an Aves fan who lives in Vancouver

This incident is one of the many reasons I can't stand the Canucks or their fan base
Lmfao

I wonder how many Avs fans came to defense of of Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Odgers, Foote, and the other goons that plagued the team in the late 90’s early 2000’s?

Bertuzzi incident being a reason why you “hate the fanbase” is the literally the dumbest fakest shit I’ve ever heard. I guarantee am positively certain 99% of the fanbase didn’t like it then or now.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Lmfao

I wonder how many Avs fans came to defense of of Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Odgers, Foote, and the other goons that plagued the team in the late 90’s early 2000’s?

Bertuzzi incident being a reason why you “hate the fanbase” is the literally the dumbest fakest shit I’ve ever heard.

What the f*** are you talking about?

It's one of the many reasons I hate all of you mofos. You really can't understand why someone would hate the Vancouver fanbase?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Heard about this for years but thats the first time I ever watched it. Wow, dont see that in the game anymore lol, Rick Tocchet was the coach for the Aves hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad