Today I... (Part 3)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
This past weekend my kid started mini-mites for the year. I've been an assistant on ice the last couple years and pretty much ran the session for the older kids both days. It's challenging but fun and great to get on the ice for a couple extra sessions.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
So this happened.

BqHE7OD.jpg

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
That wound looks EXACTLY like a wound I got on the top of my foot from a hatchet. :laugh: Didn't hurt in the slightest though, which was weird. Scar buddies!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Had something fairly amusing happen tonight.

I bike to arenas since I don't have a car anymore, and don't like to wear my contact lenses while I ride. I don't like to invite trouble either being a ref so I put my glasses in my pocket around a half mile away first too. Then I put my contacts in in the ref room. I also take them out afterwards, but do the same, so as I'm exiting the arena and walking back to my bike, I'm pretty blind.

Tonight, my glasses fell out of my pocket on the way out but a player picked them up and said, "Hey, did you drop these?" as he handed them to me. His intentions were honest but the humor of the situation was so obvious that I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We had a fill in for goalie and man was he bad. WE lost 5 -3 , but they only took 6 shots. The guy was nice and said he was sorry for losing us the game.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Bought new tacks. First new skates since the orignal Tacks. The things last forever.

The old ones... they were workhorses:

1) had 3 new sets of holders
2) 5 new sets of blades
3) Lace eyelets replaced once
4) About 15 (!!!!) new sets of laces
5) Kevlar added to the bottom to add rigidity
6) Toecap recovered

May the old Tacks finally rest.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Last night I got back on the ice following having a few weeks off. I started off a bit rusty but mid 1st period I started to really get into the game and had one of my better games in quite a long while. The game finished as a 7-5 loss but I was a +2 and got myself 2 assists and about 4 shots on goal. I found myself joining the rush much more than I usually do as generally I'm more of a stay at home defenceman but it felt good to be doing the extra skating and being more involved in the offensive side of the game.
I definitely think I am going to try and be a bit more offensive minded in the future, definitely enjoyed it more.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Bought new tacks. First new skates since the orignal Tacks. The things last forever.

The old ones... they were workhorses:

1) had 3 new sets of holders
2) 5 new sets of blades
3) Lace eyelets replaced once
4) About 15 (!!!!) new sets of laces
5) Kevlar added to the bottom to add rigidity
6) Toecap recovered

May the old Tacks finally rest.

Don't toss them..hang em somewhere.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Ive been on ice the last four days in a row, twice on one of those days.

Today I am sore, sore, sore. Gonna spend the day in bed, watch some movies, maybe go for a run later, much later.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Ive been on ice the last four days in a row, twice on one of those days.

Today I am sore, sore, sore. Gonna spend the day in bed, watch some movies, maybe go for a run later, much later.

I skated 2 games on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday, and 3 today. I also rode a bicycle or walked to and from most of them. All I see are excuses. :P

On an unrelated note, this is now my favorite T-shirt and my favorite thing to say to coaches ever:

40228a7a30.jpg

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I skated 2 games on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday, and 3 today. I also rode a bicycle or walked to and from most of them. All I see are excuses. :P

On an unrelated note, this is now my favorite T-shirt and my favorite thing to say to coaches ever:

40228a7a30.jpg

Is that 'Just a something Linesman'? Don't let those excuses hold you back.

I is old and have knee, elbow and shoulder problems. 'Day to day' I think they call it in the majors..permanently day to day.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I can't wait to get back on the ice. Missed my pickup game last night because my wife didn't want me to risk tearing my stitches out but I'm playing next Sunday for sure. Got a new CCM superfast from Total Hockey on there clearance special to try out also!

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol season opener last night for the gentlemans/beer league I play in, like a minute left I come in on a 1on1 and put the tip of my stick on the puck pull it back and put it around the back of my skates (didn't score)

Guy on their team who actually runs the league (wasn't even the one I deked) skates from the Blue line and tries to hammer me into the boards in a non contact league 5 seconds after the play. Guess I should have just passed the puck to their player

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Is that 'Just a something Linesman'? Don't let those excuses hold you back.

I is old and have knee, elbow and shoulder problems. 'Day to day' I think they call it in the majors..permanently day to day.

Yep.

I said it to a coach last night.

Coach: "HEY DID YOU NOT SEE THAT CROSS CHECK?"
Me: "JFL coach, doesn't matter if I saw it or not."

Unless it's worth a major, which it wasn't, the ref just missed it. Happens.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Had something fairly amusing happen tonight.

I bike to arenas since I don't have a car anymore, and don't like to wear my contact lenses while I ride. I don't like to invite trouble either being a ref so I put my glasses in my pocket around a half mile away first too. Then I put my contacts in in the ref room. I also take them out afterwards, but do the same, so as I'm exiting the arena and walking back to my bike, I'm pretty blind.

Tonight, my glasses fell out of my pocket on the way out but a player picked them up and said, "Hey, did you drop these?" as he handed them to me. His intentions were honest but the humor of the situation was so obvious that I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

So you dropped your glasses and someone picked them up for you? COOL STORY BRO

Sorry, couldnt resist :sarcasm:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Yep.

I said it to a coach last night.

Coach: "HEY DID YOU NOT SEE THAT CROSS CHECK?"
Me: "JFL coach, doesn't matter if I saw it or not."

Unless it's worth a major, which it wasn't, the ref just missed it. Happens.

JFL is pretty funny. I wish some more refs would just say they missed it instead of making up absurd responses.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Played pick up today and was real happy with my skating and how I'm running. Have just started doing a few leg weights of late, my injured knees been feeling good and my knee bend is getting better.

Then I went and tweaked it a little later in the day and had a bit of a fright, but think it's just a little scar tissue freeing up..hopefully.

Game's starting to come together.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Lots of games lately, ,but last night was a fun one. Played a team with whom we swap victories, and while we controlled most of the game we couldn't produce much. It was either great passing and flubbed shots, or bad passing and giveaways. Too many shots seemed to go wide/out too, messing w/the flow of the game.

I got the shootout winner, only one to score in the entire effort. Quick forehand to backhand top shelf ripper, rarely something I do in the shootout. I usually go for the quick forehand release but have been awful in the past few attempts. Usually I'm always up for the shootout but I've been refusing lately because I kept missing. Last night I felt I would make the difference and just went for it full speed. I also got our opening goal, a surprise pop-up that landed in front of my feet after a scrum. I thought the play was about to be whistled dead and there I was with an entirely open net :laugh: Talk about a gimme.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Just got my stitches out!!! I was going to go out and play some roller hockey today but it's raining. :( Oh well, I got this pick up ice hockey game tomorrow night!!!

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Playoffs today, so we won game 1, and moved on to play the 2nd game one hour later. Our team played terrible in the second game and looked fatigued. Why? Because a majority of players decided that they were going to stop taking short shifts like they did in the first game and take 3 or 4 minute shifts. Even so, we were tied 2-2 going in to the 3rd, when I gave a "speech" about going hard for 1 or 2 minutes and then going for a change because we had more subs then them...Nothing changed in the 3rd, and we let a weaker team beat us because we were lazy on the backcheck due to being tired... It just seems so simple to me, if you're tired, get off! We have plenty of subs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad