Today I... (Part 3)

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I've been in learn to skate for two months now, or a little over, and last night was the best skating session to date.

After two months of foot pain and fiddling, I *finally* have my skates tuned in a way I feel comfortable with. Bar lacing took away the skate bite that was just killing me. Wax laces kept the top tight. And I hadn't realized how dull they were getting until I got them sharpened yesterday afternoon and felt the difference.

First I pulled off as successful two-foot stop. Then I did a credible forward crossover drill. Then I nailed the forward/backward transition. (I mean, this is all relative to skill level, none of them were perfect by any means).

One of the other students tells me she can tell how much I've improved. Instructor overhears, asks how often I practice (he knows it's a lot because he sees me at the rink) and says something to the effect of "this is why Kyle is getting better and a lot of you aren't."

So the question now is do I join the rookie league that starts in a couple of weeks or wait until June. I really don't feel like my stamina/skating are up to snuff yet, and I'm an egotist who wants to be good immediately when I start playing. But June is so far away.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
So the question now is do I join the rookie league that starts in a couple of weeks or wait until June. I really don't feel like my stamina/skating are up to snuff yet, and I'm an egotist who wants to be good immediately when I start playing. But June is so far away.

There are probably different schools of thought on this. Some people would say just jump out and have fun; and there's some merit to this, but at the same time, skating and being able to skate well is the key to being any good or at least really improving. I think just picking up the stick and going for it can entrench some bad skating habits or hinder your skating development. You'll find you just stop on the one side and that sort of thing, which is fine if you're happy with that and just want to have some fun.

If you're wanting to really get proficient and have time on your side, I would stick with the skating for now and think you'll be better for it come June..or the following June..and down the track. Particularly pay attention to stopping, turning, transitioning etc on both sides. I think you'll get the hang of things faster on your weak side without a stick, but you can throw one in every now and then if you get the chance.

I know I used to play back in the day and was a pretty poor skater, because I just played and played and never worked on my skating weaknesses. It wasn't til after not playing for years I got the bug again and decided to work at the skating first and foremost that I really started getting anywhere ability wise.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I agree that your skating needs to improve before anything else does, but I also kind of think it depends just how "rookie" this rookie league actually is. I'm in the novice division in my league, and there are a couple guys on my team that can barely even move on ice even after ten weeks of intro stuff (exaggerating slightly, but not much).

The point about not exacerbating bad habits by jumping right in is a good one, but it definitely sounds like you're already on the right track. I say if you can keep up with the practicing on your own, I'd just start league play whenever you feel like you're ready.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
My skating class instructor is also the guy in charge of the rookie league, so I'll ask him what he thinks next time I see him.

Right now, I'm leaning toward waiting. I watched a rookie league game last weekend to see what it looked like, and I definitely wouldn't be the worst player there, but I don't want to be pinwheeling trying to stop for pucks and getting gassed in my second shift.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
My skating class instructor is also the guy in charge of the rookie league, so I'll ask him what he thinks next time I see him.

Right now, I'm leaning toward waiting. I watched a rookie league game last weekend to see what it looked like, and I definitely wouldn't be the worst player there, but I don't want to be pinwheeling trying to stop for pucks and getting gassed in my second shift.

Well, keep in mind as far as getting gassed, there are a ton of off-ice things you can do to help that. Obviously nothing will be as useful as skating hard, but anything that gets your heart rate and breathing level up will be a great bonus. There are guys on my team who, to be quite honest, even though they are perfectly fine at skating, you can sort of tell it's the only "workout" they get all week, you know? So jogging, biking, etc. will be of great use to you here, and I can't stress enough how much interval training would help you in hockey (and how few guys actually do it!).

As far as the technical aspects... all I can really say here is that it's a lot "different" when you're actually playing a game and you aren't super focused on, "okay, my feet need to be doing THIS now..." and you just end up doing it.

Also, I'd see if your area has any pick up hockey going on. In my area there are actually a number of organizations that handle this, and it's cool because it allows guys who aren't ready for a league (or don't want to play in one) to just try it out with other guys at about the same level, and people are really supportive and whatnot. Obviously though not everywhere's going to have the same resources as the Twin Cities for this, but it's worth looking into.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Refs hate shootouts. :laugh:

There was an 18-round shootout last night 2 games before ours (which was supposed to be at 11pm!) :amazed: We showed up and the game before ours was just starting its 3-minute warmup. Refs don't seem to mind it at this particular rink, but the most do at the other one we play at. Then again, those guys seem to dislike being there to begin with.

In our game, we got our ***** kicked 7-1. I scored our only goal, which was short-handed.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
There was an 18-round shootout last night 2 games before ours (which was supposed to be at 11pm!) :amazed: We showed up and the game before ours was just starting its 3-minute warmup. Refs don't seem to mind it at this particular rink, but the most do at the other one we play at. Then again, those guys seem to dislike being there to begin with.

In our game, we got our ***** kicked 7-1. I scored our only goal, which was short-handed.

18 rounds, yikes! To me, I can't say I mind shootouts too much, but do I wish that the game would be decided in regulation instead? Absolutely.

Used to be we'd get paid extra if the last game of our set went to a shootout, but not anymore. Instead our game fees just went up a little bit. Adult league was $34.41 or $39.06 depending on the league, now it's $40 flat across the board.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Played defence because we were missing players. Did ok at best.

I did go end-to-end for the first time after coming back for a lose puck, sweeping behind the net and hitting the jets. Deked one guy and then cut to the middle of the ice at full flight. No goal on my shot but man it felt great to wind it up and get down the ice like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad