Today I... (Part 3)

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
My team won 25-0 last night,
We were up against a team that had previously beaten us 10-0 a couple of years back but they obviously brought a lot of new players. We were 8-0 up at the end of the first period and playing D I had hardly broken a sweat. I felt so sorry for the opposition as they were struggling to keep control of the puck and just couldn't get shots on goal but my team kept running up the score. I refused to take a single shot on goal until towards the end of the 3rd period where I tried a backhander off the goalies pads to get a rebound for one of our lads who hasn't scored his first goal yet.
At the end of the game they had managed 2 shots on goal total and looked completely dejected.
To say that I felt embarrassed doesn't even come close, I hate watching teams run up the score and hate it even more when my teammates do it. :shakehead

Hard to imagine a game like that not getting ugly... what level of play is that?

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Hard to imagine a game like that not getting ugly... what level of play is that?

It was adult rec hockey but the team we were playing against were from a University.
To be honest it was suprisingly one of the cleanest games I've played in a very long time. 1 penalty given out which was in the 1st period when it was about 2-0, was for a quite obvious but accidental trip. They didn't get chippy or rough at all and although it quite obviously hurt they behaved incredibly well.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Last night I felt like I played real sloppy in my pickup game last night, but scored two goals. One was a one timer where I didn't get the puck off the ground, then fell on my butt all in the same motion of scoring. Lol Then the other I was screening the goalie and let my defenseman take a slap shot, I didn't seem to hard so I blocked it myself then put it in with my back hand right around the goalie easily. Would have had a few other good chances but it seemed like I was fanning on shots all night.

Today I went to the lhs and they had some Bauer APX2 gloves on clearance for $84! Can't wait to try these out, but they'll just be rotating in and out with my Warrior AX1's. Couldn't pass up the deal though. I didn't even know they where on clearance.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Today I got fitted for skates for the first time (and thus posting here for the first time). I'm trying to skate at least once a week this summer then jump into skate school when uni goes back. Once I master the basics I plan to start playing hockey. Can't wait.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Got my first concussion in Sunday's playoff game. Took a couple elbows and forearms, sat out for a bit, went back out, and took another on the first shift back. Day 2 of headaches.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It was adult rec hockey but the team we were playing against were from a University.
To be honest it was suprisingly one of the cleanest games I've played in a very long time. 1 penalty given out which was in the 1st period when it was about 2-0, was for a quite obvious but accidental trip. They didn't get chippy or rough at all and although it quite obviously hurt they behaved incredibly well.

Wow, that's surprising. I'm pretty clean and rarely get mixed up in anything during play or after the whistle, but I'm also competitive and not sure I could handle a 0-25 drubbing with good grace.

I'm the "captain" (organizer) of my team and made a point of telling the guys that if there's a clear skill disparity and we're up by more than 3 goals, to dial it back. And for the most part I would hope another team would show us the same decency.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So the year 2015 has been quite rough hockey wise for me. Played once on ice in late May and then just recently on Saturday I was called in to play again. Did a heck of a lot better on Saturday then I did back in May. Apparently I played well enough that, even though I told them this was my 2nd time playing in the year 2015, I've been invited to possibly replace a men's league goalie because of some sort of altercation. So it's been quite the turn of events.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Scorekeeping a few days ago. Referee's kid who was casually skating around the previous ice session comes and sits with me in the box. He's 14 years old, small and mousy-looking. Not really sure how into hockey he is (you can never tell, even if they play), I try to strike up conversation.

"So, uh...do you like the Preds?"

"Actually I'm a Wings fan. My favorite player is Datsyuk and I hate Crosby."

8247%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20clapping%20crying%20gif%20paul_heyman%20wwe.gif

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Got yelled at for passing in shinny today. That's a new one.

My buddy who I went with passed the puck to me near the circle and I cross creased it to some random guy who scored. The whole play in general was just nice. Guy on their team yells "you didn't need to pass that!" to me. Meanwhile there are people 2x better than there me who aren't holding back, why can't I make nice plays too? I mean I gave the puck away probably 3-4 times on other plays, I gotta get one good one in..

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Well I got through a session for the first time in a couple of weeks without limping off early. I didn't do anything particularly well and skated within myself, but I went alright, saw plenty of puck, short shifts and lasted the distance without aggravating anything. I don't know if elation is the right word, but I was pretty happy afterwards.

Gonna keep it toned down til after Christmas, not chase any stretch passes too hard and hopefully be back firing on all cylinders in the new year. Injuries suck.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Have been having a rough time the last five games or so, I just moved up a league and I felt like I couldn't keep up so I went over the details.

1. Skates were lower end 3.5 years old. Pretty beat up. So I moved up a price point but paid the same. Yay old models!

2. In the old league I put up 17 in 15 games. Pretty good for my third season, so I decided to move up since I am moving anyway. But where i didn't bother cutting my stick down before it was making me slow in the new league. Now it's cut to the right length and I feel way more in control out there.

3. Went to the garage and started shooting and using my roller blades to practice off side crossovers. I can move my right leg over my left like nothing but feel awkward trying to forward crossover the other way. It was a small enclosed space but I was lazy and didn't need it in the other league so I didn't practice it.

Last nights game was like night and day. Felt really good, lost 1-0 to the top team but it was really fun. Had a lot of speed, shorter stick allowed me to keep the puck better and get quicker shots off and my skating felt really natural.

Moral of the story? Pay attention to the details. Cut your stick to the right length even if it becomes too stiff, don't let your skates fall apart before replacing them and practice stuff you suck at!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We lost 2-1. We dominated the game, but the goalie literally played great. I hit two post. He was laying on the ground for one of his saves saved my shot with his head. You have to give props when props are due. Both goals against were because a certain defense man on our team likes to try to pinch the center ice line and lost the battle twice. We tried to give him advice, and he just yells at us don't tell me how to play. You can tell he never played again kind of structured hockey.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Scored the first goal of my hockey "career" in the last game of the playoffs. I only had 2 shots on goal all season, via deflection, but I made the most of my first real shot. Forechecked the defenders at their blueline, stole the puck, split the D, and put it home. Now, if only I can do that a bit more often.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Tonight one of my teams won our 4th championship out of 5 seasons. Sounds pretty bad but each one was lucky to win. This season we somehow beat the 2 ringer teams to advance, after getting whooped by them during the season. I believe they were either undefeated or one only had 1 loss (to the other). Anyway, most their team plays up a couple leagues and is being moved up next time. We may win, but our record is barely over middle of the pack and we're usually the last seed in the top brackets (they split them so the lowest few teams can have their own playoffs). We just seem to have bad luck in the season and save it for the playoffs. The team we beat tonight, 2 weeks ago I think they stomped us by 6.

Anyway, we were up by 2 but they tied it to force OT. I assisted our go-ahead goal (shot it off my teammate), scored to get the 2-goal lead, and had the secondary breakout pass that ended up being the game-winner. That only happened because I dropped back to D (to steal some 'rest' on a double-shift), hit the north-bound Dman on a breakout pass (my preference when playing D, whereas everyone else loves to try to rush it), and his shot was deflected in :towel:

Scored the first goal of my hockey "career" in the last game of the playoffs. I only had 2 shots on goal all season, via deflection, but I made the most of my first real shot. Forechecked the defenders at their blueline, stole the puck, split the D, and put it home. Now, if only I can do that a bit more often.

Congrats, keep it up! It will keep happening.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
Out of a sudden yesterday I realized I love doing 1 leg hockey stops.

I started playing roller hockey last february, went from 80 ish kg to around 70, became a decent puck handler, passer and shooter, grabbed ice skates off ebay and started going to the rink by myself to become a good ice skater, looking at eventually playing on ice.

After roughly 10-12 afternoons in there, I noticed yesterday I was able to hockey stop simply using the inside blade of my front skate, I have hockey stops to my left down and I just need to nail right side stops, which are getting there.

Secretly I have the ambition to turn pro, publicly I'm trying to become as good as I can.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Today, I'm a gonna go skating; gotta burn off some of those two Christmas lunches and an absolutely unnecessary dinner; and a lot of booze.

Then I'm gonna watch a couple of games, Caps v Habs and 'nucks v Oilers; and not answer any phone calls. My time.

No work for the next nine days..hoorah.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Today, I'm a gonna go skating; gotta burn off some of those two Christmas lunches and an absolutely unnecessary dinner; and a lot of booze.

Then I'm gonna watch a couple of games, Caps v Habs and 'nucks v Oilers; and not answer any phone calls. My time.

No work for the next nine days..hoorah.

If I'm out of work for nine days, I'm going to a couple of games.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yesterday, I called a slashing penalty on a peewee player and he decided to give me the middle finger. I had to give him a game misconduct for it.

Kids... :facepalm:

Was his name Andrew? Was this in Montreal? Inquiring minds want to know.:laugh:

All kidding aside, my partner tossed a PeeWee this past weekend because he swore at him for calling a roughing during a scrum. Like you said...kids... :facepalm:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
... broke a dremel cutting disc trying to cut a composite stick to size. It's one of those WEN brand kits that comes with cutting discs (good reviews). It starting cutting through then broke the disc like it was paper and flew right off the tool. Either they weren't meant for composite (I think they even cut metal with them) or I just applied too much pressure too fast. Anyone try a rotary tool to cut sticks before? I didn't want to break out the reciprocating saw (no clamps) and I don't have a rotary saw. I had been eyeing one of these for the longest time now...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CWX26Y...lid=3JZ1SDHC282SZ&coliid=I1USY0UGTOL5YV&psc=1

Do you guys simply hand-saw at home or what?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Been playing in a morning (5:30 AM) pick up game for a few months now, first time posting. Scored my first goal today. Lifted a rebound over the left leg of the goalie from right outside the crease. I have been playing hockey for almost a year now and skating for a couple of years. Still have to work on speed, skating and puck skills but feel like I am doing pretty well for a 39 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad