Today I... (Part 3)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Ugh, that sucks. Hope you're better soon.

Thanks, I'm good. It was 'just' the 2 front teeth and they were half broken. One was new, the other re-broke what had been busted before. They look better than they did before, so that's a plus I suppose :laugh: I have a mouth guard now, I'll start wearing it at tonight's game.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
not today but the other night I did something I've never done before...scored two goals in 7 seconds. :)

Nice! Closest I've come to that is having a point shot (I play D) going through everyone for a goal, then the next faceoff came to me, I skated it in, held up for a couple seconds, threw it on net because reasons, and a teammate banged in the rebound. I think the time between goals was 8 or 9 seconds, though I technically only got a primary assist on the second one.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
thanks fellas, there was a ton of luck involved but they all count the same. first was a redirect off a point shot, on the ensuing faceoff one of the wings grabbed the puck (i play c) and skated into the zone and got a shot off, the rebound jumped out about 10 feet and buried the rebound. life is cool sometimes.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
... broke a dremel cutting disc trying to cut a composite stick to size. It's one of those WEN brand kits that comes with cutting discs (good reviews). It starting cutting through then broke the disc like it was paper and flew right off the tool. Either they weren't meant for composite (I think they even cut metal with them) or I just applied too much pressure too fast. Anyone try a rotary tool to cut sticks before? I didn't want to break out the reciprocating saw (no clamps) and I don't have a rotary saw. I had been eyeing one of these for the longest time now...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CWX26Y...lid=3JZ1SDHC282SZ&coliid=I1USY0UGTOL5YV&psc=1

Do you guys simply hand-saw at home or what?

I just use a hacksaw, or my chop saw

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Today I... got blown out by another men's league team that is really evenly matched with mine. The main issue is that half my team hasn't been coming to practice, whereas pretty much all of theirs has. I get that people have other stuff going on (you know, those "life" things I've heard so much about) and hockey is just kind of like one thing they happen to do one night a week. But I just don't understand how somebody can pay as much money as we do to be in our league, and then just kind of show up to games and hope to wing it :(

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
A few nights ago... Played the first game of my ball hockey season (first time playing in years) and scored a goal and was a +1 in a 5-2 loss.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Today I... got blown out by another men's league team that is really evenly matched with mine. The main issue is that half my team hasn't been coming to practice, whereas pretty much all of theirs has. I get that people have other stuff going on (you know, those "life" things I've heard so much about) and hockey is just kind of like one thing they happen to do one night a week. But I just don't understand how somebody can pay as much money as we do to be in our league, and then just kind of show up to games and hope to wing it :(

woah woah woah, your men's league has practices???

Never heard of such a thing. Is it a novice league? I guess that would make sense assuming there's an instructor there. But, if we're talking about a regular men's league team, practice sure seems like a big waste of time that could be spent playing games instead.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
woah woah woah, your men's league has practices???

Never heard of such a thing. Is it a novice league? I guess that would make sense assuming there's an instructor there. But, if we're talking about a regular men's league team, practice sure seems like a big waste of time that could be spent playing games instead.

Yeah, it's a huge league with a bunch of different divisions, but I hadn't played hockey in a decade and a half so I just decided to come in at the bottom. In the novice division the first half of the season is a bunch of coaches doing their best to teach us how to play hockey, and the second half (roughly) is games. Thing is, about half my team has played before in some capacity, and the other half had never even skated before. Anyway, the point is, the last few weeks are really when we've gone over strategy, puck pressure, etc.... and that latter half never bothered to show up, so when we had a game the other day, the other team just owned us, because we ended up looking like a bunch of children. Quite frustrating.

Aside from that, some of us do get together at othertimes and play informally and work on different drills and stuff in the process. But the same guys that can't be bothered with the above never show up. Which, like I said originally, I get that people have other stuff going on in their lives, but I don't understand just trying to wing it in game situations when you haven't even really learned the game yet. Our league itself is quite organized and is not cheap. I guess I don't understand the point of paying all this money if all you really wanted to do was **** around a bit, you know?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Our leagues give ice time to teams "to practice", but hardly anyone ever uses them. We usually get some squads together and have a scrimmage. Shoot, that reminds me I should have set some up this/last week since we've been off :mad:

Me and a couple others have tried to have a real practice but it's ridiculous when only the ones who don't need it are interested.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Our leagues give ice time to teams "to practice", but hardly anyone ever uses them. We usually get some squads together and have a scrimmage. Shoot, that reminds me I should have set some up this/last week since we've been off :mad:

Me and a couple others have tried to have a real practice but it's ridiculous when only the ones who don't need it are interested.

Yep, sounds like my team. And it's frustrating too because it's not like the other novice teams have any more fat, old guys than we do... it's that their fat, old guys are (apparently) interested in actually playing hockey as a team sport. (For the record, I consider myself one of the just "regular, old" ones :D)

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
So, I went to my first stick and puck today. Usually I just do pick up games or my league games. It was pretty fun but like 20 minutes in I started playing with the guys doing 3 on 3 half court anyway. Lol Got some sweet dangles in.
Like 2 or 3 weeks ago I fell and slid into the boards then the bottom of my skate blade hit the boards first and and twisted my ankle. I limped off the ice, walked it out and finished that game and keep playing on it. Every time I play though I re injure it including today. :( Will it heal itself though even if I keep playing on it or should I stop for a couple weeks? Oh well I'll probably just keep playing on it and hope it gets better soon. Another pickup game tomorrow night! Can't wait for my league season to start February 13th!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Today I screwed up a call. Tossed a center from the draw for a substitution infraction, the replacement came in, jumped early and hit the opposing center's stick. That's an automatic ejection from the faceoff so I instinctively tossed him too. Third guy came in and the instant I dropped the puck I realized that the offending team was supposed to be given a delay of game penalty.

Luckily the team that was supposed to get the penalty must have not known the rule because they said absolutely nothing about it.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Last night I had one of the most satisfying wins of my time playing.
I currently play for 2 different teams and last night they played against each other.
I chose to play with one particular team as I knew the other one wasn't going to be short of players wanting to play the game and to be honest I enjoy my time with them a lot more. The game was originally put down as a "Development" game to bring along some of the lower levelled players but unfortunately the team I was playing against didn't quite stick to this. They put out 2 strong players on each line as opposed to my team that was 1 strong with 2 weak.
Despite quite a clear discrepancy in the level of the teams it was a really close game, we were a lot more disciplined and a lot better organised and eventually squeaked out a 4-3 win!! :yo:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Got a garbage goal and the shootout winner tonight. I left the goalie on his face and rang it back bar down, far side. Made me feel good after flubbing a short-handed breakaway earlier in the game :lol:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Got a garbage goal and the shootout winner tonight. I left the goalie on his face and rang it back bar down, far side. Made me feel good after flubbing a short-handed breakaway earlier in the game :lol:

You guys are lucky you get shootouts. My league is still okay with ties :(

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yesterday I played in an indoor ball hockey league that took place inside of a school gym. 4-on-4 co-ed hockey and it was literally like stickhandling inside of a telephone booth. Have to admit it was kind of fun though. Played defense nearly 99% of the time. Scored most of my teams goals and was pretty much apart of every other goal. One hour of "floor time" that was split into two 25 minute games. Lost the first game 5-4 and won the 2nd game 9-4.

You could score from pretty much anywhere on the floor. Played with one of those really soft orange balls so then the goalies would have somewhat have a chance. I pretty shadowed their best player all game as well. I'm on a team who I have never played with before so this should be an interesting season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad