Today I... (Part 3)

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
55 Flex- Henrique
Uncut it's pretty much the exact same length as my cut CS sticks that started at 65....noodlin'...

McMaster27

Jan 27, 2014
Tonight my gf and I are going to play our first pick up/shinny game. Not sure if we have to wear all of our equipment even though only shin guards (and obviously helmet/gloves) are mandatory; however we're still gunna wear it all. Soooooooooo pumped. Hopefully there will be goalies!

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Tonight my gf and I are going to play our first pick up/shinny game. Not sure if we have to wear all of our equipment even though only shin guards (and obviously helmet/gloves) are mandatory; however we're still gunna wear it all. Soooooooooo pumped. Hopefully there will be goalies!

How'd ya make out, did she embarrass ya out there, to the point that you won't take her again after she got picked before you? ;)

McMaster27

Jan 27, 2014
How'd ya make out, did she embarrass ya out there, to the point that you won't take her again after she got picked before you? ;)

Man oh man... That was one of the most nerve racking experiences I've ever been in. We got there a bit later than I wanted to (she drove, go figures lol) so there was only room for one more player. Considering she's really shy AND forgot her stick (I brought a spare for her, but it's pretty much a toothpick), we decided I'd be the one to play tonight and she'll just watch, so that worked out good cause she was scared of playing in the first place, especially without me.

Unfortunately though, the only reason I wanted to go was so we BOTH could play, and we both could look like fools! We do everything together, so when I realized I'd have to walk onto that bench by myself I was ****ing bricks.

Anyways, we enter the rink and everyone's already doing their warm-up, so I rush into the change room and lo and behold it takes me like 30 minutes to put my gear on. I practiced putting it all on at home before, but it's different when you're stressed and trying to go fast. It also doesn't help when you do up your skates, and then forget to put the socks on :cry:. I almost ripped my socks trying to get them over my skates, but then realized I had to take it all off again. 30 mins later I successfully exit the change room and the game has already started ahah.

That 20 second walk to the bench was some of the scariest **** I've ever done, but as soon as I sat down I made sure I told the guy that it's my first time so I might need some help learning how to get on/off the ice and in what order. I could go on for a year about this game, but long story short... HOLY CRAP IS HOCKEY SO MUCH DIFFERENT WHEN WEARING ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT! I think it was mainly the helmet cage and bulky shinguards which prevented me from seeing the puck as well as I'm used to, and I also felt like it prevented me from seeing my skates in my peripheral vision and that also hindered my skating abilities. Whenever I'd get the puck, it just felt so weird was if I had no control over it and I'd lose it so easily. I got a goal or an assist with a scrum in front of the net, but the other guys seemed to go easy on me there.

The number one thing I learned from it though was that in order to play hockey, you have to actually play hockey!!! All those hours of public skate and sticks and puck and just simple pond skating seemed absolutely pointless (or at least it would look that way to everyone watching me). Simple solution though, next time I go to practice I'm gunna wear my cage (and maybe shin guards).

Still though, I'm excited for the next time. Hopefully I can step my game up if I practice a bit more in the right conditions!

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Hahaha, sounds like you weathered the storm and had fun!

Yes, actually PLAYING hockey, with other guys coming at you, is so much different than stick and puck, you just can't compare the 2.
I just got back into it myself, and the more I play, the slower the game gets....I remember the 1st time I wore a cage, I hated it, and could hardly see.
Next week will be even better.

Have Fun!

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Played defence for the first time ever in my first proper game in a number of years. Scored the first goal of the game in a 2-2 tie which was good to get out of the way early being the new guy on the team. Pinched in from the blue line on a deflection that came out straight out in front; wrist shot from between the circles through traffic, glove side high.

Caught their #1 player going behind the net too and rattled the boards with him. Love that sound.

Had another good opportunity later on the backhand that I would like to have had again. Rushed the shot a little bit. Got some work to do.

They out shot us , but our goalie made some very good saves that kept us in it.

Good to be back.

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
You should always play/practice with all your gear on while trying to improve. This way you are simulating game feeling but also you progress faster when you know if you fall (and you'll fall a lot while learning) that it doesn't really hurt.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Today (yesterday) I was called up to be the "ringer" for a friend's beer league team. An hour and a half is a long time with only nine skaters, but it was fun and I sweated-out my hangover.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
4 of my teams started playoffs this week. Two had bye rounds and won their opening game to reach the finals. The other two are 1 and 2 games away from the finals respectively. The 1-game-away team is expected to go all the way; the 2-games-away team is probably going to get blasted in the next game.

Played all the games well, can't complain on anything except the higher division game was against a team full of refs and the reffing was completely insane. Refused timeouts for us, a faceoff won by hand (w/o touching) and ref refused to restart, etc. Stuff like that. We won that in a shootout after a scoreless OT, so all's well that ends well.

My worst team played their best game I've seen in a LONG time, I was so happy. It was my 3rd game of the day so I wasn't my usual "carry those guys" self. We chased their goalie out; after our 10th unanswered goal he just Tim-Thomased it to the locker room and quit :laugh:

NativeHockey77*

Ordered an hour ice time and listened to Tom Cochrane - Big League (on repeat)

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
In my last league game my team named me POG. This is a big deal for me as we're a mixed skill team (a range from guys who played Junior A down to me, who just started playing hockey this year) so the POG usually goes to the more skilled guys. Apparently while I was practicing my skating after the game (I always try to use the leftover ice time to work on improving my skills), they had a little chat and decided I'd played my best game of the season. Needless to say the guys and gals on my team are a really great group to play with.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Won the playoffs tonight ! I took my second penalty (in 30 games), but it's probably the stupidest of all time. We were leading 2-0 halfway through the third, I hop on the ice. The puck comes to me at center ice, I try to deke past their forward, but the puck gets caught in his skates. They settle in our zone and score a lucky goal. As the puck is cleared out of our net, it hits my foot. I whack at it angrily (but not hard), and it hits one of their players.

Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. They nearly scored again. My coach yelled at me on my way to the penalty box, but I didn't receive any criticism at the end of the game. We were all thrilled.

We're not done yet though. We still have a regional tournament, and we're in the semi-finals now.

I wasn't "clutch" in the finals. I need to step up my game again.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Today I've got the day off, going to play pick up this morning, then going to head out across town later for a public skate where the rink should be empty after the figure skating mums go home and I should be able to get out with a stick and pucks for a decent session. Game day tomorrow.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Lowest division team got booted from the playoffs. Horrible showing, but that's the usual w/this group. We lost by 4, and at least 3 were ridiculous rebounds/scrums where nobody was cleared from in front of our net. Two others were direct giveaways from our last-man-back defenders for either a 1-on-0 or 2-on-0 attack.

I was held pointless as a forward. Too busy skating every inch of the ice to do everyone else's job. I think only 1 goal our of 7 was scored while I was out there, and it was a short-side, top-corner snipe through the other person acting as a defender. I was covering the front of the net, no one was stopping that one either way.

At least my other 3 teams are still in their respective playoffs, with 2 in the finals already.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Last week went 1-2 in pool play for the playoffs, fell short of the championship.

Hell of a season though, won 18 straight. Will be moved up a level (C2 to C1) next year.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
High-division team won our championship game by 3 against the 1-seed yesterday. I may have picked up an assist but vs. that team I focused on a shutdown role.

Lower-division team lost our championship game tonight by 1. Goalie had a rough game and let in 2-3 ridiculous floppers. I had 2 of our 4 goals, no assists because barely anyone seemed to have their heads in the game :rant:

My mid-division team plays for a championship game on Thursday. That one will be tough like tonight. Funny, I figured the highest division game would be the closest.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Wow, this hit the second page! Nobody doing much lately? ;)

Had a close 5-3 loss to the team at the top of the league tonight. We were 3-1 up but yet again a short bench killed us; we were all gassed by the 3rd. Our goalie didn't show up, but the backup they gave us did a great job.

Team played great overall, passed well and overall made much better decisions than we have been previously. Tiredness just got us in the end.

Had a good game personally - 1g, some decent passes and got my stick in on a number of occasions on D to break up their play. Only lost one face-off all night to boot.

We have another game on Saturday against the same guys. Perhaps we can get our revenge...

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I play inline, and we beat the team in our league that won the championship last season and was #1 this season! We were 2nd to last during the previous season. It wasn't a fluke either, we outplayed them the entire game and they needed 2 goals in the final 2 minutes to even send it to OT. For whatever reason, our team has started playing much better. We actually spread out now and control the puck much more. We used to look to score ONLY via the rush, and this season we cycle the puck, pass to the point etc. I have no clue what happened, but I've been preaching for the past 3 seasons that we need to spread out and play "keep away" so to speak like other teams do to us. Our goalie recently started yelling more, I'm attributing our success to this. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
High-division team won our championship game by 3 against the 1-seed yesterday. I may have picked up an assist but vs. that team I focused on a shutdown role.

Lower-division team lost our championship game tonight by 1. Goalie had a rough game and let in 2-3 ridiculous floppers. I had 2 of our 4 goals, no assists because barely anyone seemed to have their heads in the game :rant:

My mid-division team plays for a championship game on Thursday. That one will be tough like tonight. Funny, I figured the highest division game would be the closest.

My mid-division team - we had a 3-goal comeback to tie the game, but lost in OT as we were down w/2 players in the box (ugh). Losing isn't the worst part, but one of the forwards flat out refused to pass on any odd-man rushes and cost us possession every single time. There were no less than 5 opportunities I was dead-to-rights open and he didn't even attempt to pass. I've got one of the best shots on the team, this was absolutely ridiculous. He did say "I'm not a good passer" though, so I guess it's all OK now :shakehead :help: :rant: Too bad he wasn't good at anything else either except being predictable and easy to take the puck from.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Had three hours on ice at a daytime public session. Rink was pretty much empty. Last hour or so had to myself and was able to skate with stick and puck, laid a few cones out down one end to practice my driving wide and cutting to the goal crease; nothing major.

Some figure skating princess turned up and proceeded to pretend to own the rink. Went and picked up three or four cones and tossed them off to the side right in front of me, not a word said.

Said nothing at the time, because you can only come off second best with management in any altercation when it comes to using a stick and puck in a public session, which they're actually pretty good about when it's quiet,,but I'll reciprocate with princess or her mum at the right time. No time for rude people or rudeness.

Maybe next time I'll just skate around and around the circle at centre ice while she's doing her routine or some big figure eights across the width of the rink outside the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad