Today I... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Tonight our win streak was snapped in a 5-0 loss. We were missing our big goal scorers, and the rest of us just couldn't bury it. The first two periods I played D, where I was pretty good. I was creating plays in the offensive zone and my outlet saucer passes were good. I played forward for the last period, and I had a few good shifts with some long possession time in their end, but nothing came out of it.

Long story short, I had a good night but no numbers came out of it. Better luck next week, I guess.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Had a close 3-4 loss this morning. Had my 'Malkin Moment' where I took the puck to the net with one hand, fighting an opponent next to me off with my free hand, then threw it on net. It went in, and I thought one of my teammates tapped in the rebound, but apparently they gave me the goal so I guess the goalie knocked it backwards. I'll take it!

Tough game because we had a short bench (2 people couldn't make it), and at the start of the 3rd I had to play a 9-minute shift because one of our guys went hard into the goal. Overall, an improvement on last week regardless.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Had a close 3-4 loss this morning. Had my 'Malkin Moment' where I took the puck to the net with one hand, fighting an opponent next to me off with my free hand, then threw it on net. It went in, and I thought one of my teammates tapped in the rebound, but apparently they gave me the goal so I guess the goalie knocked it backwards. I'll take it!

Tough game because we had a short bench (2 people couldn't make it), and at the start of the 3rd I had to play a 9-minute shift because one of our guys went hard into the goal. Overall, an improvement on last week regardless.

Hopefully you let your brain take over and were able to play that much smarter as opposed to harder :laugh:

I remember once we were a guy short and had to play the entire game that way. It was beyond brutal and our opponent was very worthy to begin with. There was no winning, but it was a moral victory to us that we kept it somewhat respectable.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Won in our second game in the tourny we're in, and, as I am a first year player, got my first GWG :D Our captain (who I don't usually play with) went up the boards and cut in front and I picked up the rebound and snuck it in the bottom left corner. Felt nice :D

Last edited:

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Hopefully you let your brain take over and were able to play that much smarter as opposed to harder :laugh:

I remember once we were a guy short and had to play the entire game that way. It was beyond brutal and our opponent was very worthy to begin with. There was no winning, but it was a moral victory to us that we kept it somewhat respectable.
Yeah, you're pretty much between a rock and a hard place - can't play too hard else you'll just tire yourself out, but can't play too conservative either else you'll leak goals.

We held out pretty well for the first couple of periods but in the 3rd were just gassed. It would have been worse if they didn't pull everyone behind the puck to try and conserve their lead.

This is roller as well, so only 4 people + goalie = more rink to cover.

PS. 9 may have been stretching it on second thought, probably more like 6 or 7. Still not exactly optimal. :laugh:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

Playing in a few games with 6 or 7 guys and an ironman tourney where you play 5v5 with 5 guys for 12 min games, you learn to pick your spots. It also helps doing dry land. My teammates give me **** bc I'm one of those that likes working out for fun so I eat up the times we're short.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Playing in a few games with 6 or 7 guys and an ironman tourney where you play 5v5 with 5 guys for 12 min games, you learn to pick your spots. It also helps doing dry land. My teammates give me **** bc I'm one of those that likes working out for fun so I eat up the times we're short.

Yep, unless you're way above your talent level and can run around the other team that's what you've got to do (play smart and pick your spots). There are some guys around here who play with 0-2 subs and still totally wreck everybody. It's crazy to see. I'm a fitness nut too but I also play with guys that are 10+ years younger than me, so it's tough to be able to trump them all :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Won 6-0 yesterday. Didn't find the back of the net, the goalie was extremely lucky, and I mean it. I grabbed the puck, went on the rush 2-on-2, used the defender as a screen, went blocker high, and the puck catches the top of the goalie's handle luckily. I picked up an assist with a no look behind the back pass.

I have another game at 12 today. Goalie won't be so lucky this time.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Finally got a win on my main team. I got zero points but a few good shots on net, though my main role tonight had to be shutdown and I did that well. This team could have blown us out if we gave them a little room.

fish7

Feb 11, 2012
st. louis, mo
today I had a hat trick in a 5-0 win it was our first game in a month and usually any kind of layoff is bad our old timer team. My ancient Louisville aluminum shaft is still doing the job for me, I am not sure if it is a comfort level thing or just mental but my shot has been much quicker and i seem to get my stick on most pucks coming near me with this really heavy stick

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
left my old team of 2 1/2 years today in favor of a new team where i only know one person. not sure how i feel about it quite yet as i'm leaving a lot of friends behind but the team just got stale and the captain was really getting on my nerves. we'll see how it goes

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Played probably our worst game of the season on Saturday night vs the 2nd-to-last place team. Got the W 4-3, but had to come back from 2 goals down. Scored again... each game I've started at forward this year I've scored, so that feels pretty good.

We play the 2nd place team tonight, the only team we've lost to. Gonna be a grind.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Played on Saturday and lost 4-1. On the PP, had a slapper from the point that hit the pipe flush and then missed an open net about 30 seconds later. Ugh. At the very least, our center scored his second of the season which was fun. I also had my first penalty of the season for checking :laugh:

Sunday I ended up joining a pickup game that needed bodies and 9 guys showed up. So we played a lazy 4-on-4 with no goalies. Nice to get a little extra ice time in.

I've suddenly gone longer with my sticks, an extra 2" or so and favoring my lower lie curves.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Had the quarterfinals of our playoffs yesterday against the team we lost to the previous week. We won 6-5 and I had a goal and 3 assists. My goal was cool, and usually a goal I tend to flub. A nice give and go to create a mini 2 on 1. My teammate sent me a perfect pass as I was driving to the far post and I was able to deflect it on the backhand up and over the goalies' outstretched leg. Usually I'll flub that shot and end up deflecting it just wide or in to the goalies pad, I was amazed I was able to get it elevated.

Side note, we also had one of our best skaters get a 5 minute penalty, kicked out of the game and rest of the playoffs for throwing a full on check. I seriously don't understand how people can be so hotheaded and selfish. The games always get a little physical because it's hockey, but that doesn't mean you can act like a ********* and charge a guy in to the boards. :shakehead:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
10-2 drubbing of a goalie friend's team. 2g5a for me.

A goal of note was a short-side top shelf backhand snipe from bottom of the circles, as I went around his last defender.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Another rough game. We switched rinks after a few years to play new teams and play during the week on a larger rink. We have slightly better talent than these new teams but just get out game-planned week after week.

Tonight was our playoff game and we ended up in a 0-5 hole by the time I potted one to finish it out 1-5. I am a better forward, but have had to step in to play D most of this season due to a shortage on our roster. I think we had about 10 shots or so total over the game (trying to pass too much, terrible breakout, passing up shots) and I had 4 of them.

On the bright side, heading into a Vegas tourney where I will have to (get the opportunity for more reps) play D, I found myself picking my spots better to jump into the play and control the flow. 3 of my shots were solid opportunities with a rebound one-timer through traffic, and two that I snuck in down the right point for a pass in the high slot. One hit the goalie in the chest and the other went bar-down for my first goal of the season and my first in that way.

The nice thing about the goal, other than snapping a goal slump from the point, is once I received the pass, I decided to pivot to backwards to drag the puck in during a short glide towards the slot and shoot with more leverage all in one motion. That was a first as well. I also called for the pass which we have struggled with as well.

Areas to improve on D:

• Skate with the puck on the breakout when that option is given and no forwards are open/skating themselves open
  • Mindfully facing the play 1v1 and maintaining stick position to force the play
  • Instead of always attempting to out skate the forchecker around the net, recognize the opportunity to skate hard, stop, and bank the puck back to myself to create more time and reset. There were a few times on the PP I made a smart play like this to isolate myself and the puck, but one time I didn't where I tossed the puck up the boards that led to a too many men penalty during a change.
  • Having confidence in my 1v1 skills that I am still developing. My fear of losing the puck or squandering an opportunity is squandering opportunities. Had a low risk chance on the PK that I ended up cycling high and dumping low.

It's a never-ending quest to be a better player. That's the best part.

Edit: My goal and chances were solid for two reasons. (1) I have permanently switched to black tape from a long time at white tape because the black tape helps me stickhandle with my head up. I like the look of white tape better, but I also like the less flashly look of black tape. (2) On a whim, I played with a stick that is the exact same specs as the one I've used all season (Bauer G3 95 flex P92/sakic with an added inch to be ~90-92 flex) to the kreps/e28 version I have. I thought it would give me more basic handles and it delivered. Added more fluid sauce as well.

Super long, thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Last edited:

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Tied 2-2 tonight. We all agreed that it was easily our worst effort of the season. No sync, heavy legs, no tempo. Personally, it was my worst game of the season. I hadn't played in like 3 weeks(was in Hawaii, and missed two games). I just couldn't get going offensively. Ah well, there will be games like this, and usually we bounce back with a great effort the following. Have today off, so I am getting a morning skate in. Looking forward to it.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Well, we destroyed the other team tonight. In my league they stop counting goals on the scoreboard when it reaches a 5 goal difference, so I don't know the exact score, but if I had to guess I'd say 12-1.

I played center this game, potting 1 G and 3 A. My goal was on the rush, post and in right above his right pad. I was centering two of our best offensive players, who both finished with hat tricks, and I could've easily had more points. Hit one off the crossbar and had a few chances I couldn't capitalize on. My playmaking was alright, but I still need to work on knowing where everybody is at all times.

Defensively I was okay, not really anything spectacular. My faceoffs improved by a mile though. I watched one YouTube video on faceoffs and now I can win maybe 5/8. It's amazing how bad I was before. :laugh:

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
Got my first goal tonight!! Unfortunately we still lost, but wet were playing a team that's a level up from us, and we played a really solid game so I can't complain. I got moved to center this game and definitely felt way more comfortable, plus my wingers were great at being in the right spot at the right time and one was playing her first game ever!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I have two inline games in a row tonight; only a 3-minute warmup between when one ends and the other starts. That's going to be rough, as the first team I play on needs me to go at 100% to stand any chance whatsoever. The 2nd team can utilize me in a less-offensive role at least, though I'll still be trying to shut down one of the best guys in the division.

edit:

game 1: lost 5-4 in a shootout. We were down 0-4 early in the second, but we rallied and came back. I had primary assists on our first two and scored the third. The shootout went 9 rounds so thankfully I got a bit of rest before my second game as I waited for that to end.

game 2: 1 assist in a 4-3 win. I spent most of my effort shadowing their #1 guy which is one of the top scorers in the league. He's usually good for blowing teams out on his own (he did this last time we played), but we played him well tonight.

Last edited:

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Had a goal line to goal line empty netter tonight for my second goal, wasn't sure it was going to make it there haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad