Today I... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Lost a game 8-3 against the second-worst team in our league (we're, naturally, the worst).

My defense hung me out to dry, and we're objectively responsible for seven of the eight goals.

The good news? I'm playing Junior C for the rest of the season, if you consider that an upgrade. :help:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm part of their "Special Ops" group so i ordered the one they're coming out with next. "The Nasty" i believe is what it's called. 66 in, RH, 80 flex, P88 curve 5.5 lie, Matte finish.

Bf5a0YyCYAAW0Um.jpg

What's the selling point on that stick?

I see that they offer the Super Natural in intermediate shafts and also have an E28 clone now. Very tempting. Need to get rid of a few sticks though first, I have what seems like 10 of them right now.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Thanks guys. My neck feels better this morning than it did yesterday evening, so that's a good sign! My friend is still feeling OK as well. Hopefully the insurance co. doesn't take too long to get things going, then it's just a bit of money to get back to normal.

HanzalSoHotRightNow

Mar 23, 2013
East Lansing
Am still coming to terms with the fact I played my last ever competitive game ever...A loss in the High School state championship game. Came from behind to tie it up in the third and then the other team scored after the puck took a really unlucky bounce and they got an empty netter. Heartbreaker.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
What's the selling point on that stick?

I see that they offer the Super Natural in intermediate shafts and also have an E28 clone now. Very tempting. Need to get rid of a few sticks though first, I have what seems like 10 of them right now.

After shipping I think it ended up at around $160. $137 before. Splurged a bit for my birthday.

ciscomorales

Sep 11, 2013
Katy, Texas
Well yesterday

I got to play in my first officiated game, ate boards in my first game and backhanded a rebound in my first game for a goal. Man I wish I had started playing before my 40s.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I did my second stick and puck session ever today. I felt like my comfort level skating with the puck improved over 50% from the first time. Had a 12 year old kid take me through his hockey team drills, too much fun! I wish I could do this every day. Unfortunately for people with daytime jobs, stick and puck sessions are pretty much impossible around here.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Unfortunately for people with daytime jobs, stick and puck sessions are pretty much impossible around here.
I hear you. We have multiple roller and ice rinks around here and none of them have a stick time that happens outside of standard adult working hours, except for one which isn't too convenient for me (and even at 7AM the ice is completely packed). I even emailed all of those nearby asking if they would consider introducing such a time, but none of them really addressed the issue, outside of one saying 'if one of the rinks is free, you can come down and do stick time', which seems like a tall order considering how busy it is.

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
Got tripped up while I was going in for a rush in last nights games. Went foot first into the boards and messed up my left leg pretty badly, i managed to finish the game but i couldn't really push off the left leg and could only pivot and stop on the right.
Really puts into perspective how insane it is that some of these NHL'ers play with broken toes and such, absolutely insane pain threshold

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Scored again last night. That makes it 6 goals in my last four games. I don't know if its primarily right place right time, but I almost expect to score now and that confidence is really making me better with the puck on my stick. I used to just panic and throw the puck towards the net, now I find myself looking at the goal and aiming for corners. I'm really starting to feel good about where i am in the offensive zone.

Previous 2 seasons: 4 goals
Last 4 games: 6

Hope it keeps up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Scored again last night. That makes it 6 goals in my last four games. I don't know if its primarily right place right time, but I almost expect to score now and that confidence is really making me better with the puck on my stick. I used to just panic and throw the puck towards the net, now I find myself looking at the goal and aiming for corners. I'm really starting to feel good about where i am in the offensive zone.

Previous 2 seasons: 4 goals
Last 4 games: 6

Hope it keeps up.

See ? That's what I told you. It's almost like something flicked a switch in you to unleash your scoring potential. I hope you can keep it up !

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Won 2-0 against a team of goons. Was robbed from point blank range by the goalie in the 3rd period, and hit the post from a tough angle. It's hard to focus on your game when the other team constantly trips you down.

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
Team is currently in the middle of the pack of extremely balanced mens league. Here's the GF-GA for all 6 teams of the division (don't get me started on how we're playing 15 games against 5 different teams...) 60-57, 55-53, 54-52, 62-61, 45-53. Very very equal league, there's only a handful of standout guys in the whole league.

I myself play a very responsible defensive game with a physical edge (for mens league) always clearing the crease, breaking up 2 on 1's, puck battling in the corner, etc.

Kinda frustrating as I'm probably one of the better offensive players and we're not lighting it up on the other side of the rink on most nights. Trying to make my passes more responsible and my rushes more selective.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Last night extended my losing streak to unfathomable numbers. On my two weak/low-tier teams, everyone has stopped trying. No one tries to win a race, no one tries to possess the puck, everything is a giveaway. I frequently score multiple goals a game, but I can't do it every single time. They're relying on me to do so and lately I haven't been able to, and we keep getting whomped.

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
I have much lower versions of what I did.....expectations at this point are FAR lower!
I was supposed to play PU for the 1st time in many years last weekend, but it fizzled out.....so I went to Stick time again today, but I actually wore all my gear except shoulder pads this time....I haven't suited up since Peewee hockey, and I'm 49 now.....so around 37 years ago.

Felt really good, so good, that when I got back to the house, I wanted to go back out and play, and I was far more aggressive with my skating with all the gear on.

The little things are great for an old guy like me that stopped playing organized Hockey at 12, and stopped skating totally at ~ 15.

I know guys, wtf? right!
I needed to get that done though....let's just say that some of us are a lot easier to please, and it felt really good when a C level player told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that he was very surprised that I hadn't skated or played for that long.
Was supposed to play PU tonight too...but it was cancelled due to it being Valentines Day!

B!*%^es are killin' me!

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
I have much lower versions of what I did.....expectations at this point are FAR lower!
I was supposed to play PU for the 1st time in many years last weekend, but it fizzled out.....so I went to Stick time again today, but I actually wore all my gear except shoulder pads this time....I haven't suited up since Peewee hockey, and I'm 49 now.....so around 37 years ago.

Felt really good, so good, that when I got back to the house, I wanted to go back out and play, and I was far more aggressive with my skating with all the gear on.

The little things are great for an old guy like me that stopped playing organized Hockey at 12, and stopped skating totally at ~ 15.

I know guys, wtf? right!
I needed to get that done though....let's just say that some of us are a lot easier to please, and it felt really good when a C level player told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that he was very surprised that I hadn't skated or played for that long.
Was supposed to play PU tonight too...but it was cancelled due to it being Valentines Day!

B!*%^es are killin' me!

Excellent! You've got the itch :)

You've probably thought about how it would feel to play again a lot. I've noticed if I take a month or 2 off, and don't think about playing at all I come back and skate like garbage, but if I've thought about skating and kept myself in shape mentally I step on the ice and dont feel rusty at all.

Granted 1 or 2 months is nowhere near 30+ years but you get my drift :)

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Excellent! You've got the itch :)

You've probably thought about how it would feel to play again a lot. I've noticed if I take a month or 2 off, and don't think about playing at all I come back and skate like garbage, but if I've thought about skating and kept myself in shape mentally I step on the ice and dont feel rusty at all.

Granted 1 or 2 months is nowhere near 30+ years but you get my drift :)
Yeah, I got a pair of skates around 1.5 months ago, and have skated or did stick time (3 times now) a total of around 8-9 times...I really missed skating/playing, cuz I was a rat as a kid.

So glad I'm getting back into it!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad