Today I... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
...had a pretty bad pickup game, just couldn't find a way to harmonize with my center and other winger. But at least I managed my first successful "split-the-D" move :)

Maladus

Sep 23, 2011
Colorado
I received my hockeymonkey mystery pack order and one of the sticks I got was the ccm u+ '11 with a crazy ovi curve. I've only used minimal curves like the P88 in the past but I decided to use it in our most recent league game. I had a 5 minute warm-up before the game to get use to it. :laugh: Either way, I ended up with 1 goal and 1 assist so I guess it worked out. I still haven't quite gotten comfortable with the curve but it is always fun to try out new sticks!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Scored my first empty netter ever last night. Actually, my first as an adult. Literally the only goal I ever scored as a kid in about six years of hockey against goalies was an empty net.

Anyways, 182 games in rec leagues and my first empty netter. Actually had to work for it too. Deked the close defender then push up ice with two guys on me the whole way to get the shot from the offensive zone faceoff dot.

We got our 4th win of the season though...over the team below us in the standings. 4-14-1 on the year. Yay.

This level got a lot tougher though. Historically, I've been scoring about a goal every other game in the lower levels (D1) and a goal every fourth game in the higher levels (C2). Our level was created last year between the two (C3) and I had a goal per game, this year it's about a goal every fourth game, just like at C2 every year I've played it.

And our record last year was 9-10-1, this year will probably be 4-15-1, so I don't feel quite as bad.

On the plus side, I'm starting to figure out how to pass the puck (after six years). I'm starting to see my teammates and look to them whereas before I'd just shoot. I'm still a long ways from being a good passer but it's something to work on and I would like to be known as a player who can score goals as well as set up teammates.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Last night I tried to play a much more offensive game from defense. I really focused on making s,art decisions on when to jump into the play, while not leaving my partner out to dry. Created a couple of good chances, put a shot off the post and made a nice pass to the slot which led to another shot off the post for a teammate.

This has been a hard situation for me. It's my first year playing, and I love/really want to play wing, but I am one of the better skaters/defenders on the team so I need to play defense. It's hard to gauge what chances to take to play more offensively and frustrating that I can't feel like I can trust my D partner to do an adequate job covering if there's a bad bounce, etc. We're now in 4th place at 6-13 with the team above at 11-8 and the team below 0-19.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Worked out last night AND woke up early to work out this morning. Gotta get back in the habit. I'm slowing down on the ice.

This exact thought completely changed my life. That is when I decided to stop screwing around and being lazy and get my health/fitness game back on lock.

When I was 23 (26 now), I lived steps from the beach and was super active running about 25 miles a week and doing a bunch of circuit training. this is when I first picked up ice hockey (after playing roller as a kid and through high school). I was a lean 175.

Last June, I started noticing I didn't have the same jump I used to. At this point, I had gotten up to 215 and didn't look fat or overweight. I just looked not lean anymore and had a beer belly getting started. I started my body weight circuits up again and running sprints. In August, I cut out alcohol and cleaned my diet up a bunch. In no time, I was back down to 175 and flying around the ice as not only was my skating much better after 3 years of practice, but I was much stronger than before (mainly from sprints versus longer distance).

In January/February, I cut out my cheat day and dropped it to a cheat meal and started fueling my body much more methodically and now sit at 185 while being more shredded than I was at 175. Last week, I added even more structure and 3 days of heavy lifting to my plan and in another 10.5 weeks, I should be much closer to 200 while gaining a ton of strength.

I don't regret a single second of any of it. It's worth its weight in old every time I step out on the ice and feel like (and often am) the fastest player on the ice.

Once you get a taste of that improvement and how it translate to this game we all love, the hunger only grows.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It makes a big difference. I've been better the last 3-4 months and have lost a few pounds, but I ought to be doing better than that.

I actually for the first time tracked every calorie I ate and burned this past week. End result, I was within 100 calories of maintenance over the week, although I aimed for about a 3500 calorie deficit. So yeah, that's why my weight's stable.

I did find a few areas I can improve and clean up, save a few hundred calories here or there, make some adjustments.

What bodyweight circuits were you doing?

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
It makes a big difference. I've been better the last 3-4 months and have lost a few pounds, but I ought to be doing better than that.

I actually for the first time tracked every calorie I ate and burned this past week. End result, I was within 100 calories of maintenance over the week, although I aimed for about a 3500 calorie deficit. So yeah, that's why my weight's stable.

I did find a few areas I can improve and clean up, save a few hundred calories here or there, make some adjustments.

What bodyweight circuits were you doing?

There is this park bench one I do a lot:
20 bench jumps, 15 dips, 15 bulgarian lunges/squats each leg, 15-20 pushups (can add incline for increased difficulty), 15 bench jumps (I now jump to the top of the bench for added difficulty), 50 reps of alternating your toe on the bench seat with the other foot on the group (don't remember what it is called). It seems easy at first but gets difficult and gets a good sweat going. Goal is to complete it all as fast as you can with good form. If you have to stop and rest, do so but start again as soon as you can.

There is the deck of cards one I want to try from the biggest loser (each suit is a different workout, number indicate reps).

If you have a pull up bar, you can do simple ones with pullups, pushups and squats.

As far as calories go, they both matter and on't matter. They matter in the sense that burning more calories than you take in will result in weight loss. However, where you get your calories is extremely important as well. 100-calorie cookie and 100-calorie banana have the same amount of calories, but the banana is going to go a lot further for you. I just try to eat as clean as possible and hit certain protein grams targets and the rest generally takes care of itself. Each day may vary, but I tend to stay in the same range and the weight just fell off and has stayed off.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
Today I absolutely flubbed a breakaway. Rushed myself, and lost the puck in my skates. My profanity could be heard outside the rink most likely :)

I somewhat made up for it by darting in behind the net to grab a puck, stepped out, and put the puck right on the centers stick in the slot. No goal, but I'm very happy I had the presence of mind to do so. I tend to get terrible tunnel vision

Halifaxhab*

Today I.....

Played hockey instead of working. So much more satisfying when I can do that.

I also took a wrist shot that surprised me, quick wrist under the top bar that was a laser....the goaler didn't even see it until he heard the puck hit the back bar....he was also probably surprised because it was me :D I have spent the rest of the day chirping him (I work with him)....basically a great day

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I got new boots at work and got some bad blisters on both my heels and big toes. I was nervous going into the rink, almost with a limp with the way they were irritating me with sneakers on. I put my skates on and was surprised they weren't bothering me at all. Skated the whole game and didn't even notice them, was pretty glad it actually worked out for me, won against one of the best teams in the league for the first time in a few months. We beat them pretty decidedly too and they had all of their top guys too. :D

Funkmarkoflex

Feb 20, 2013
Baie-Comeau, Québec
I filled in a tournament for 1 game.A guy I play with in my beer league needed someone for the first game.

I never played so well in my life. Even had to take a faceoff ( I never did before) that lead to a goal. I also made the greatest pass in my life over 2 stick on the tape of the other winger on my line. Unfortunately he missed his shot:cry:

We went on to win 4-2.

They played over the week end and managed to get to the final where they lost 5-0.

The guy who asked me to fill in told me if I had been there it would have been better. Nice to hear.

bojaffa

Feb 23, 2013
New Jersey
Played open hockey today..4 skaters plus a net minder.90 minutes of 2 on 2.Quite a work out.Yesterday I suffered through watching another Rangers game.They just can't seem to get thier act together.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Played pickup with 13 total skaters and no goalies. It was fantastic because it forced people to either play a more possession game or shoot on an open net and spend the rest of your shift playing defense. Most of the guys on my team decided to cycle and play keep away and really try to get zone time.

One guy decided to skate in a shoot it every time he had the opportunity. Good job guy. You are really good. I made it a point to not shoot the puck and work on passing it around, protecting the puck in the corners and getting the cycle going. Only used speed to create a bit more space or on the breakout to gain the zone. It was perfect to work on team play and really fun because most guys could get puck time and contribute to positive possession plays.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Played drop-in at 6am, which is an "adult and teen" drop in for Wednesday mornings. There is an 8th grader that comes who is incredibly skilled and will probably make the NHL, it's unbelievable how good this kid is for his age. After that, I skipped school and hung out with the wife all day. Now I'm drinking a Dales Pale Ale and applying for jobs. Not a bad day if you ask me!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Got to watch the MN Wild practice yesterday, although they canceled practice and had a dozen guys just shooting on goalies.

One player I watched closely was Jason Zucker (the guy who got hit by Perry a couple days ago). He's a very high end prospect, excellent shooter, soft hands, very skilled. He may or may not have a concussion so he was just skating by himself and stickhandling and shooting. I watched how he shot, and that was taking no-windup wrist/snap shots with his arms relatively close together (about a forearm or a little longer apart), cup and fire. Of course aiming bar down every single shot, because where else does a scorer aim? :laugh:

As I mentioned elsewhere, a couple years ago, I migrated from a sweeping wrist shot (using a nose-length stick and hands further apart) to a cup-and-fire snapper (using a 2" shorter stick and hands closer together) and my goal scoring exploded. Then this year, I tried to shoot more from the toe, made my stick longer, accuracy went to hell. Just kind of realized what was going on last week.

Anyways, think I know what I need to work on this summer. Shorter stick, hands closer together, use more of my forearm strength than the flex of the stick.

Also, it's just ridiculous (and fun) to watch NHL'ers screwing around on a sheet of ice. Zucker and Cal Clutterbuck were saucing the puck perfectly smooth and flat two thirds the way of the length of the ice. Drops a few feet in front of the tape. No big deal. Doing the triangle puck handling drills at about three times the speed of us beer leaguers.

KieranA91

Jan 31, 2013
Isle of Wight, UK
Won a crossbar challenge at practice, started from the blue, when someone hit we moved to the red, then far blue, then the far end, I hit all four first! (bear in mind our rink is probably less than 3/4 the size of a normal pad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad