Today I... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzm119

Oct 10, 2013
North Jersey
Gathering the puck while skating backwards during the last minute of a game last night, guy from the other team poked his stick underneath the back of my skates sending my feet straight up, first thing to hit the ice was the back of my head resulting in a concussion. Not quite as easy to deal with when you're in your 30s and need to get up for work in the morning!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Had two goals this weekend and won against the other weak team in our division. Up to 4 wins in 15 games now...

What haunts me is a 2-on-0 that I carried the puck up the ice and took the shot. Should have faked and made the pass. Goalie stopped it and I felt like a complete A-hole. Especially because the other guy fed me for the one timer on one of my goals.

Spent the entire third period trying to feed him over and over to make up for it.

Saved*

Found the error with my new skates - lady at PHL fit me wrong. Had me in a size 10 Supreme. It fit fine in store, there wasn't a lot of room but once on the ice my foot would slide forward a lot, as well as being 3 blade sizes too large...

PHL helped me out and we got me into a pair of Reebok 16ks size 8.5. Can't frigging wait to get out on the ice - trying to skate in a size 10 was absolutely deadly. Replacing my 8.5 XXXX's

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Had two goals this weekend and won against the other weak team in our division. Up to 4 wins in 15 games now...

What haunts me is a 2-on-0 that I carried the puck up the ice and took the shot. Should have faked and made the pass. Goalie stopped it and I felt like a complete A-hole. Especially because the other guy fed me for the one timer on one of my goals.

Spent the entire third period trying to feed him over and over to make up for it.

The last two times I had this opportunity (pick up and then a 3v3 tourney), I ended up pulling a rabbit out of my hat(mod edit) looking pass (head turned) and then shooting high blocker. Scored both times in the spot I wanted to my own disbelief.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Today I received my Bauer ReAkt Helmet in the mail! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

So sick and fits me PERFECTLY. Like i use a XL 4500 and still struggled with pressure points/it being narrow in the back portion of the helmet but, a Large Reakt fit is fantastic for my head shape. Slapped a 480 cage on it and im ready for tmw night. :yo::yo::yo:

Also, since Ive been upgrading my gear lately, I decided to search for new pants...
I wanted to try out a Girdle/Shell combo.. So i went to Hockeygiant & Total Hockey and tried on the NXG girdle since thats the only one really on my radar besides the projekt girdle.. And it wasnt bad, itd take getting used too but not bad. Reason i also wanted one was because being pro stock shells would be fun to swap in and out. Plus I plan on officiating next season so, I'd just use that once I started. It'd be severeoverkill in terms of protection needed but it'd be convenient in terms of having a piece of eqp that can I can use as both a player and as an official. The shell on the NXG is really tight/tightens up the girdle.. Maybe too tight for my liking so i might sz up if I do decide to purchase them BUT...

After i tried the girdle on, I had to still consider the pants option.. I tried on some APX pants and it just looked really goofy on me. It almost looked like a diaper with dookie in them.. it was overkill on padding; at least it looked that way. It was a turn off. I would consider a 7.0 since i assume the padding is less cumbersome but i havent tried them on yet.. This is where the Warrior Covert DT1 comes in. I tried them on and man, I fell in love with them. I currently use Hustlers and I felt at home with the DT1. Everything about it .. even better actually.. I personally feel that warrior pants cater to my body type/preference. Now, my mind is set on purchasing them in a week or two... We'll see though.. :laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Two goals tonight in a 10-3 blasting of one of the lower teams in the division. First was on the PK while we were losing, stripping the puck off a guy trying to break out and splitting the D with a quick wrister. Second was similar where I stripped the puck off a guy in my D circles trying to shake me, then skated it through everyone else and chipped it far side. None of my forwards got open or set up anywhere, so hey...

soireeculturelle

Jan 7, 2014
Got five goals this morning in our weekely league.

1) came in 1 vs 2 into the zone. dman left me some gap so I snapped a shot through his legs which trickled through low glove side

2) centerman made a good play in the low slot, found me open on the side of the net. off the post and in from a bad angle with the goalie down and out

3) got a nice breakaway pass from a winger when the other team made a really bad change. leaned stick side to make the goalie open up, then went high glove

4) puck went off the board behind the net and onto my stick. was looking to pass the puck across the crease but there was no space and snuck a shot in five-hole from in close

5) centerman fed it over on a 2 on 1. goalie goes down so backhanded it over him.

was trying really hard to set up my linemates starting from halfway through the game. but either my passes were getting blocked, or they couldnt bury it. weird day. I'm a shooter and score quite a bit at this level, but I don't think I've scored 5 goals or will get that many again.

also, got one of my replacement base savoys. somehow snapped both of mine within 30 days (one blade cracked, and the other one broke in half on a wrister). haven't heard anyone else speak ill of the durability, so maybe it was just a bad batch. the warranty process was convenient (no need to send the stick back) even if it took a few weeks. we'll see what happens with the replacement sticks.

jablesgonnajabe

Feb 20, 2014
Michigan
So, popping the post cherry with an intro. 27 year old, who got the notion to play some hockey, blah, blah, blah, you guys know the drill. Bought some skates about two weeks ago. So far have about 12 hours of ice time total. Today, I finally started to get the hang of backwards crossovers. Feels good man, feels good.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Went for a skate this afternoon, picked up my new elbow pads and pants, Nexus 1000 elbow and Nexus 600 pants.

Took the visor off and went to a scrimmage tonight, came down the left, behind the goal and scored on the backhand wraparound. Goalie couldn't go post to post quick enough.

Supposed to be non-contact so don't nail anyone, but sometimes let them know you're there. One wee little chap thought he'd go along the boards behind the goal between me and the boards? Fat chance. Didn't finish the check but pinned him to the boards, which he got a bit worked up about for some strange reason. If you can't stand the heat..

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
3g2a in an 8-4 win. It was close until they got too dirty and we got pissed.

First was a rebound, rocketed off the back bar and came out even faster. Second was a one-timer off a feed around a defender from the other attacker, whom I fed first. Pretty play. Third was a sneaker between the goalie's skate and post as I took a quick pass from behind the net and came outward.

The dirty stuff: One of their guys rocked me in the back of the neck and the boarded another one of us. I'm the only one on our team that's big enough to not get totally smashed by this guy charging or attacking us like that, so I barely moved. I warned everyone else to watch out, and sure enough one of them got caught along the boards and smashed face-first into them. Had the play stopped for a while because he was out of it; had to carry him off. Naturally the guilty party blames our guy for it rather than even faking a "sorry" or "woops". He got booted, our guy was unable to come back. The dude did come by on his way out to apologize, better late than never I guess. His teammates were more sensible, at least. Later in the game that guy's brother elbowed or otherwise hit one of ours in the face while going into the corner, and since he's a hot-head it erupted into a fight and both got the boot as well.

soireeculturelle

Jan 7, 2014
3g2a in an 8-4 win. It was close until they got too dirty and we got pissed.

First was a rebound, rocketed off the back bar and came out even faster. Second was a one-timer off a feed around a defender from the other attacker, whom I fed first. Pretty play. Third was a sneaker between the goalie's skate and post as I took a quick pass from behind the net and came outward.

The dirty stuff: One of their guys rocked me in the back of the neck and the boarded another one of us. I'm the only one on our team that's big enough to not get totally smashed by this guy charging or attacking us like that, so I barely moved. I warned everyone else to watch out, and sure enough one of them got caught along the boards and smashed face-first into them. Had the play stopped for a while because he was out of it; had to carry him off. Naturally the guilty party blames our guy for it rather than even faking a "sorry" or "woops". He got booted, our guy was unable to come back. The dude did come by on his way out to apologize, better late than never I guess. His teammates were more sensible, at least. Later in the game that guy's brother elbowed or otherwise hit one of ours in the face while going into the corner, and since he's a hot-head it erupted into a fight and both got the boot as well.

what level of hockey is this?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
what level of hockey is this?

3rd lowest around here based on the few rinks at which we play. I play in a few divisions with different groups of friends, and this type of crap seems to only happens in the lower divisions (such as this and below).

In the higher divisions you almost never see anything like this going on. It's as if some people try to make up for their lack of talent with goonery.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I did my first night taking a beginner skills clinic last night, 8 weeks of skating under my belt. I didn't die, so that's good. I seemed to forget any type of skating skill I had developed as soon as I put a stick in my hand, but I guess it's all part of the learning process! Can't wait for the next one.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Gotta give some props to Bauer today - I own a 7500 helmet and after just a few wears some of the pad inserts started coming out (the comfort parts, not the main padding). Sent them an email with some pictures asking what they could do, and they promptly said that they'd replace it for me. They even sent out the replacement before I sent mine back as I said I was in the middle of a season and wouldn't be able to play.

Additionally, from a first look it does seem like they've revised the way that they attach those pads to the helmet (they look 'sealed' rather than just being glued), so hopefully the same problem doesn't occur again.

Really pleased overall! Good job, Bauer.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Two goals and an assist in a 9-2 win. Caught a slapper from one of the guy's w/a rep for the hardest shots, right between my skate's tendon guard and where my shin pad extends. I rotated a little too much and paid for it. I did turn it into a 1 on 1 rush but couldn't skate hard enough to get by the defender, got hooked, and ended up going to the box for a trip (caused by the brutal hook, which of course did not warrant a call itself).

Now I have 3 games tomorrow, the first of which we will only have 1 sub. Not looking forward to that!

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
2 assists in a 11-2 win tonight. One was a secondary assist on a tic-tac-toe goal and the other one was a pass from down low to my wide open winger in front of the net.

I really need to work on my shot accuracy. I'm getting a lot of breakaways/1-on-1s since switching to C, and this game alone I blew three of them (2 crossbars, one missed net).

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Had 3 games today:

1) 1G,2A in a 3-5 loss. We had no subs and it was early. We were so gassed. Mid-tier division.

2) 3G,3A in a shootout loss, 9-8. I flubbed my 2 shootout attempts, couldn't freakin believe it after ripping 3 breakaway wristers for all of my goals. Low-tier division.

3) 5G,0A in 9-6 win. A couple one-timers and redirections from great passes, a nice backhand walking around traffic, and a no memory of the others. Mid/upper division

Thus ends 6 games in 4 days, tomorrow will be #7 in 5. Whew.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Today I separated my pinky finger on my blocker hand, had it popped back in by a doctor who plays on the team, and allowed one goal in the third while barely being able to hold my stick. It looked like the U bend in the pipe under your sink. Painful as hell now, not recommended.

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Started my instructional/pickup tonight.
Played forward- no points, but I was concentrating on my position.
Dished a couple real nice passes, other than that it was pretty uneventful.
Was fun playing against other players, just keep reminding myself to slow down...I need to get in shape, kept the shifts short with hard effort.
I'll get better with more games, and getting into better shape.
Felt good to be out there for the 1st time since peewees!

soireeculturelle

Jan 7, 2014
got the call to sub for a beer league team. showed up and we were 6 skaters.

ended up playing a team with 9 skaters who's 2nd in the standings and tied them 2-2. we pretty much played the trap, lock down the middle of the ice and counter-attacked when they turned the puck over. that actually worked really well and we probably outshot them 25-15 after two periods. I shot on pretty much everything (to get our guys more whistles and also because it's less tiring than driving the net and maybe turning the puck over) and had maybe 15 of those shots. got a goal when I beat the goalie 5-hole on a 2 on 1. we hit a couple of posts in 3vs3 OT and then the goal was called after no one scored.

Then after I came home went to play on an outdoor rink with a few midget/junior guys in the neighbourhood for an hour and a half. 5 vs 5 on a small rink. quick hands and feet is a must.

TL/DR: played on a team with 6 skaters against almost a full bench. out-corsi'ed the heck out of them and hung on for a tie. then went to play shinny.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Moved into 1st in the division w/one of my teams tonight, though after the rest of the night's games finish we'll likely settle into 2nd. We did come up from 3rd though, so that's good enough.

Had 3 goals and 0 assists, though not for a lack of setting up good plays and feeding my forwards the puck. I was playing w/the weaker forwards to help even out our lines and they only score so often. My goals came off a quick one-timer fed from behind the net, a 2-on-1 where the puck carrier luckily bounced it off the post and it came right to me (basically an open net at that point), and then a walk-around of everybody to rip one from atop the circles.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Found the error with my new skates - lady at PHL fit me wrong. Had me in a size 10 Supreme. It fit fine in store, there wasn't a lot of room but once on the ice my foot would slide forward a lot, as well as being 3 blade sizes too large...

PHL helped me out and we got me into a pair of Reebok 16ks size 8.5. Can't frigging wait to get out on the ice - trying to skate in a size 10 was absolutely deadly. Replacing my 8.5 XXXX's

A little silly to say that someone fit you wrong. Unless I misunderstand the fitting process, it's your foot in the boot and not someone else. They can only help you so much. Good luck with the new skates though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad