Player Discussion Tocchet What Is/How He Doing?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I like how he has redefined Miller's game.
In regular time he has him playing like a superior 3rd line checking center and then uses him as a top line player for the PP.
Certainly using him for his 8 million.

Tocchet will have to start watching him closer, that road trip was not great, they won games but played pretty iffy and Miller started showing his spots.

So far Tocchet has been smart toning down the team's wins. Trying to balance out the wins and losses mentally.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So far, he's been pushing all the right button

The only complain I have with him is how short the leesh on Hoglander is

But, if Beauviliier isnt on the trade block, maybe Hog will still be playing?

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
This deserves a bump. Just listened to Toc after practice and was thinking that we’ve not had a coach that comes across so open and honest. It’s easy to see why the players like him. I’d work for a guy like that any day of the week.
I really liked him on TNT and it seems that's his real personality as well.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
This deserves a bump. Just listened to Toc after practice and was thinking that we’ve not had a coach that comes across so open and honest. It’s easy to see why the players like him. I’d work for a guy like that any day of the week.
BB came across as open and honest.

Reactions: theguardianII

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I don’t think BB commanded the respect Tocchet does. Toc’s record as a player helps with that.

I think people like BB and respect him to a degree, but there's a whole other level if a former player with the proven history of Tocchet lays into people about needing to pay the price. He's not asking anything he didn't do himself which is a kind of moral authority hard to replicate.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
BB came across as open and honest.
I don’t think BB commanded the respect Tocchet does. Toc’s record as a player helps with that.
BB not commanding the same respect that Tocchet does has nothing to do with "we've not had a coach that comes across so open and honest" being corrected, though. This is a complete non-sequitur.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Losing to the worst team in the entire league is embarrassing. Why wasn’t Kuzmenko in? Did he expect to grind out another defensive effort with the bottom 6 chipping in lol. This should’ve been a 8-1 beat down for the Canucks. Besides this blunder, he’s been pushing the right buttons so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
heh, if BB told you to step outside so he could have a private talk with you, you would without any kind of fear. If Tocchet did, you'd make out a will first.:naughty:
BB -- "He's probably wearing some kind of flamboyant undershirt or socks and wants my opinion. Or he's remembered that it's my kid's birthday!"

Tocchet -- "My career is over"

Reactions: Nomobo

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Losing to the worst team in the entire league is embarrassing. Why wasn’t Kuzmenko in? Did he expect to grind out another defensive game with the bottom 6 chipping in lol. This should’ve been a 8-1 beat down for the Canucks.
Back to back games and Tocchet plays tge identical roster?

Playing a crap defensive team and goalie and we leave fresh legs in the press box

Kuzzy would have feasted on San Jose

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I think it's time for Tochett to lay off on Kuzmenko and Hoglander. Both players are above average NHL roster players, and the Canucks are better with them in the lineup than without. Losing to the Sharks is embarrassing but benching Kuzmenko because he's in a slump is equally embarrassing. Hogs deserves a shot to stay in the top 6, while Kuzmenko deserves to be dressed for game time.
I really like Tochett but he really needs to be bag skated for some of his roster management decisions. Sitting Kuz multiple games is not the answer.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not a fireable offense or anything but sitting Kuz two games in a row is probably his first major misstep.

Had some good candidates in Beau, PDG, Aman that could have easily come out.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I have started to notice something in Tocchet's comments. I like them because he is reserved in his praise but a little concerned over his "tired team" and "stacked schedule" statements.

What he says aren't condemning things or the major part of his media scrums but he is inserting tired as a reason for not having success and the media has taken up the travel torch which adds to the fans not looking too hard at the construction of the group or lack of depth. Well maybe not too much because he does have a better bottom six in years playing fairly well.

Benching Kuz for bad defence, Kuz was one of 3 forwards and not the center. Stats show his giveaways are 11th on the team.
Tocchet is going to lose him because he is trying to make a ballerina into Tarzan. He is playing Kuz 4th line minutes.

What is seen in the market may not be what is happening behind doors but maybe looking to his past coaching could offer some insight.

With Arizona there were some players that either voiced or rumours were flying around of them wanting out of the team, some moved on most likely due to publicity others didn't have that option. Some of these had to do with the chaotic turmoil surrounding that team but some maybe not. Some may have exposed coach/player relationships of one Alpha dominating another or trying to.

Keller was rumored to ask for a trade.
OEL was very vocal about one.
Crouse watched a lot until he was gone
Strome got traded just as he started to bloom for a grittier center
Duclair for Panik, a grinder
Dvorak, why? Internal trade request?

There were trades in Arizona just because the team was crap but while Tocchet was there the grinders or "board guys" got more ice time than the skilled guys. A lot of point producers improved after they left.

Hey, What do I know? Pure Speculation! But I did post last year once Tocchet was hired that Kuzmenko, OEL and would not thrive under him. OEL never demanded a trade because he didn't like his team mates, neither did Keller. I also posted I thought Miller and Tocchet would not get along, so far I am wrong about that but 2 out 3 ain't bad.

Good players that move on are usually because GM's don't want a player that doesn't want to be there on their teams. I am sure Zadorov will be traded after it came out he wants out too. But what about the stuff never heard by fans. Even some media keep quiet now.

Tocchet sounds okay and the constant rhetoric of "structure" makes people think he is doing something none of the other 3 coaches knew how to do.

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I hate how he talks with the candy in his mouth or missing teeth or whatever.

I am still really not sold on him as a coach. I think he has been a step in the right direction for good team play and he is getting results. He also is going to kill his best players with ice time in the process and it if that is all he got, it's not going to last.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not a fireable offense or anything but sitting Kuz two games in a row is probably his first major misstep.

Had some good candidates in Beau, PDG, Aman that could have easily come out.
Are Beau ,PDG, or Aman missing their defensive assignments..?..Cheating on the back check.?..Lacking effort...Thats what puts you in the press box.

We won against the Kraken..Do you think that Kuz would have been the difference maker against SJS ..Judging by his recent play, he would have been a non factor.

I' m sure he'll be back in the lineup next game.

Reactions: Nomobo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I have started to notice something in Tocchet's comments. I like them because he is reserved in his praise but a little concerned over his "tired team" and "stacked schedule" statements.

What he says aren't condemning things or the major part of his media scrums but he is inserting tired as a reason for not having success and the media has taken up the travel torch which adds to the fans not looking too hard at the construction of the group or lack of depth. Well maybe not too much because he does have a better bottom six in years playing fairly well.

Benching Kuz for bad defence, Kuz was one of 3 forwards and not the center. Stats show his giveaways are 11th on the team.
Tocchet is going to lose him because he is trying to make a ballerina into Tarzan. He is playing Kuz 4th line minutes.

What is seen in the market may not be what is happening behind doors but maybe looking to his past coaching could offer some insight.

With Arizona there were some players that either voiced or rumours were flying around of them wanting out of the team, some moved on most likely due to publicity others didn't have that option. Some of these had to do with the chaotic turmoil surrounding that team but some maybe not. Some may have exposed coach/player relationships of one Alpha dominating another or trying to.

Keller was rumored to ask for a trade.
OEL was very vocal about one.
Crouse watched a lot until he was gone
Strome got traded just as he started to bloom for a grittier center
Duclair for Panik, a grinder
Dvorak, why? Internal trade request?

There were trades in Arizona just because the team was crap but while Tocchet was there the grinders or "board guys" got more ice time than the skilled guys. A lot of point producers improved after they left.

Hey, What do I know? Pure Speculation! But I did post last year once Tocchet was hired that Kuzmenko, OEL and would not thrive under him. OEL never demanded a trade because he didn't like his team mates, neither did Keller. I also posted I thought Miller and Tocchet would not get along, so far I am wrong about that but 2 out 3 ain't bad.

Good players that move on are usually because GM's don't want a player that doesn't want to be there on their teams. I am sure Zadorov will be traded after it came out he wants out too. But what about the stuff never heard by fans. Even some media keep quiet now.

Tocchet sounds okay and the constant rhetoric of "structure" makes people think he is doing something none of the other 3 coaches knew how to do.
I think you are over analyzing because the team has been inconsistent recently

Reactions: rypper

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am still really not sold on him as a coach. I think he has been a step in the right direction for good team play and he is getting results. He also is going to kill his best players with ice time in the process and it if that is all he got, it's not going to last.
Just because the question is posted.

He has never been coached a team with a winning win/loss record until his 36 games last year with the Canucks as head coach.

He was instrumental in Tampa getting Hedman.

It will be the travel that kills the best players not Tocchet. Ya, right not even the Sedins were immune to the travel so it is a non point considering it has always been that way for this franchise. It is just new to him to have so much of it.

Truthfully though he isn't the one bringing it up all the time, it is IMAC and the other contracted media employees, they get paid to be on the TV.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think you are over analyzing because the team has been inconsistent recently
No just watching another eastern guy wrapping his head around the travel and being tired. He is mentioning playing tired and playoff teams play through it a lot. I think it took him by surprise.

Imagine if the team does make the playoffs and have to play Vegas 7 games in 12 days, play, travel, day off, play, travel, day off repeat. OR LA? They will have more travel in one series than an eastern team like Boston through the whole playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00