HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Think I would do this.

* Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
* Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
* Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for LA next season).
* Harris
* Maybe we add a B prospect

Very good chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive their NMC. Gallagher gets to play with Danault again.

Risky to take on Dubois for 7 years at $7.5M but he can't be that done. I think MSL gets the best out of him and we can use his size up front.
Nobody wondered about the work ethic of Dach, Caufield, Newhook etc. MSL just gave these guys chances to play their game and wouldn't bench them for a mistake or 2. Also encouragement.

Nobody has gotten in the way of PLD playing his game. PLD is a headcase is all. I'm thinking he will have a productive season next year, or not, for no good reason either way. Just because. He's a flake and I don't want him around our players, especially the young guys.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
No but for the WPG picks + I'm sure it could be bartered
Matheson and 24th OA for 6th OA could be a good base assuming the new owners aim for the playoffs right away. If we value Mathesons value to around 11-13thOA, then adding 24th OA brings the total value really close to 6th. But IMO would only make sense for MTL if one of Demidov or Lindstrom falls to 6th. Otherwise, itd be better to simply trade up at around 15 and grab any of the forwards left (one of Sennecke, Catton, Brandsegg, Greentree, helenius)

Reactions: themilosh

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Nobody wondered about the work ethic of Dach, Caufield, Newhook etc. MSL just gave these guys chances to play their game and wouldn't bench them for a mistake or 2. Also encouragement.

Nobody has gotten in the way of PLD playing his game. PLD is a headcase is all. I'm thinking he will have a productive season next year, or not, for no good reason either way. Just because. He's a flake and I don't want him around our players, especially the young guys.
PLD is food for the drama queens . So funny when you read what the LA previous coach said about him .

Reactions: yianik

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I really dont see Hughes trading Matheson atleast not this year
Somebody is going to have to push Matheson down the line up before they consider moving him. The coaching staff clearly doesn’t feel the same way some of our fans do about him. They aren’t going to trade him for a few picks and/or A/B prospects if there’s no definitive player to replace his role.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
We all get it. Certain posters love any player with a mild Quebec accent or name. Please stop the Dubois nonsense though. I've watched the exact same posters confidently insult people with the phrase 'you think Slaf will even be as good as PLD is now (before he was traded)' that are now desperately telling us we should still acquire him.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Somebody is going to have to push Matheson down the line up before they consider moving him. The coaching staff clearly doesn’t feel the same way some of our fans do about him. They aren’t going to trade him for a few picks and/or A/B prospects if there’s no definitive player to replace his role.

That's false. Hutson adequately replaces Matheson. Yes, of course, not fully. But the only thing that makes Matheson valuable is the powerplay role, not his defense. Sure, it would be preferable to wait one year, but I suspect Lane will steal his job on the PP, and his value will plummet when he's a 30-point D. If Lane gets hurt, Guhle and Mailloux can pick up the minutes. We have a wealth of depth for next season that we didn't have in so many years.

It's also time for Hutson to get hard reps. This isn't a 18 years old, he's 20 and been playing against adults for 2 years. Yes, the first years of Quinn Hughes were challenging, but its by playing a lot so he can figure out this level asap that we will progress towards our goals. Lane being a 70 pts guy is essential to our transformation (will take a few years). Same with the rest of the kids, they all need to play a lot. Hughes can say all he wants he's aiming for the playoffs but that means not much unless your core is ready and our D core is there talent wise but doesn't have the experience yet.

That's why many of us believe it's preferable to trade Matheson high and reinforces our assets coming out of this rebuild. Imagine if the difference between trading Matheson now or later is Catton or Sennecke, I think the risk is worth it.

Savard is the vet they will keep, since he's defensive veteran. They will also keep Kovacevic around. But the kids must take control of the offence at D.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's false. Hutson adequately replaces Matheson. Yes, of course, not fully. But the only thing that makes Matheson valuable is the powerplay role, not his defense. Sure, it would be preferable to wait one year, but I suspect Lane will steal his job on the PP, and his value will plummet when he's a 30-point D. If Lane gets hurt, Guhle and Mailloux can pick up the minutes. We have a wealth of depth for next season that we didn't have in so many years.

It's also time for Hutson to get hard reps. This isn't a 18 years old, he's 20 and been playing against adults for 2 years. Yes, the first years of Quinn Hughes were challenging, but its by playing a lot so he can figure out this level asap that we will progress towards our goals. Lane being a 70 pts guy is essential to our transformation (will take a few years). Same with the rest of the kids, they all need to play a lot. Hughes can say all he wants he's aiming for the playoffs but that means not much unless your core is ready and our D core is there talent wise but doesn't have the experience yet.

That's why many of us believe it's preferable to trade Matheson high and reinforces our assets coming out of this rebuild. Imagine if the difference between trading Matheson now or later is Catton or Sennecke, I think the risk is worth it.

Savard is the vet they will keep, since he's defensive veteran. They will also keep Kovacevic around. But the kids must take control of the offence at D.
If Hutson makes the opening day roster, he’ll have to earn it threw camp. He isn’t a lock based on two games. I wouldn’t be super shocked if he ends up in Laval. At least for parts of next season. You can’t trade all your veterans away and throw your rookies to the wolves. You need guys who can eat the hard minutes without drowning and now also keeping the team competitive. Matheson is a fine stop gap and St. Louis seems to love him going off the way he uses him. I doubt any team makes an offer that the team views more valuable then the player himself in Matheson’s case.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His utilization was a result of his performance, it gradually reduced as the season progresses. He had every opportunity to take and hold top 6 deployment, Kings just figured out they had better options to deploy with those minutes despite the major financial commitment they made to him.

He's young enough to figure it out, but if he doesn't do some heavy introspective work, it's more likely that he regresses further over the duration of the deal rather than improving.

Either way, not a risk worth exploring short of lak paying a stiff price to get out from under his hefty cap hit

I think it's deeper than this. The trend I noticed with Dubois is if he plays with talent, he does well. If he doesn't, he fades.

Remember when Ducharme put Caufield on the 3rd line? Caufield deserved this right? Take him away from talent and expect him to produce offensively. Not the exact same situation but you should get the point. I think a lot of fans have turned on him because he asked out from two teams now. What I see is someone who has wanted to play for the Habs since he asked out of Columbus and two teams interfered. He's not entirely innocent but there is a bandwagon of hate jumping on every negative thing they can say about him right now. Not surprised

At this stage, I hope he gets bought out before he turns 26 on June 24th. Cost to the Kings is less and then signs with the Habs for $2M AAV. :laugh:

Like I said above I don't think Monahan is taking a 3 year deaI. This is probably his last chance to cash in as a UFA and his value will never be higher (and there aren't many UFA centers available either). Marchessault is at the age where Pavelski is the main comparable so I think he's far more likely to take a 3 year deal as well.

If it turns out Monahan can be had for 2-3 years at a reasonable number then sure I'd be fine with that, I just don't see why Monahan would pass up his last real chance at a big payday to take another short term deal. The whole point of signing with us for 2M was to get big minutes and set himself up to cash in as a UFA.

He might be after a longer deal but not so sure teams will commit past 3 years. He's rebounded yes but his body is banged up and a GM would be stupid to sign him 4+ years. Good piece to add in the short span but not someone you want to over commit to.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think it's deeper than this. The trend I noticed with Dubois is if he plays with talent, he does well. If he doesn't, he fades.

Remember when Ducharme put Caufield on the 3rd line? Caufield deserved this right? Take him away from talent and expect him to produce offensively. Not the exact same situation but you should get the point. I think a lot of fans have turned on him because he asked out from two teams now. What I see is someone who has wanted to play for the Habs since he asked out of Columbus and two teams interfered. He's not entirely innocent but there is a bandwagon of hate jumping on every negative thing they can say about him right now. Not surprised

At this stage, I hope he gets bought out before he turns 26 on June 24th. Cost to the Kings is less and then signs with the Habs for $2M AAV. :laugh:

He might be after a longer deal but not so sure teams will commit past 3 years. He's rebounded yes but his body is banged up and a GM would be stupid to sign him 4+ years. Good piece to add in the short span but not someone you want to over commit to.
So you want our top 6 players to carry him when he starts to float or feel sad when the coaches pick on him.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I saw Runner post this in another thread. Curious if Dubois ends up getting bought out and becomes available again this summer

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
A Dubois buy out would come with 31.16M in savings with a cap hit of 27.8M spread out until 2038

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 14.01.28.png

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'll completely admit this doesn't bode well for the Habs and I'm still focused on what he can be rather than what he's shown recently, but acquire PLD is interesting, however...

Habs are sending Gallagher/Anderson, if not both, but if not both then Armia/Dvorak is going, too.

So, it would be something like

Josh Anderson/Brendan Gallagher
Christian Dvorak/Joel Armia
Jesse Ylonen

PLD
Kaliyev
2024 1st + 2025 2nd
Or
2025 1st + 2026 2nd.
Rights to Matt Roy.

Honestly I'm not even sure if that's enough, but might not be as painful.

Maybe best case if the Habs do want him is he's bought out, so he wants less and can have a better contract.

f*** it's going to be a long summer.

Reactions: vokiel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt they by out PLD but anything is possible. If he is bought out, he will be signing a deal a la Jonathan Drouin.

Buying Dubois out (before he turns 26 on Jun 24th) cost them 1/3 of his contract. That would be close to the cost the Wild paid for both Suter and Parise combined... in actual dollars.

Would be a big move by Blake. Trade a big package to get him, sign him to a big deal, then buy him out. Personally, I think the Kings stay put and decide to manage him better next year. He needs to be in their top 6. Coach got to figure this out.

Is Bergevin still an adviser to the Kings?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll completely admit this doesn't bode well for the Habs and I'm still focused on what he can be rather than what he's shown recently, but acquire PLD is interesting, however...

Habs are sending Gallagher/Anderson, if not both, but if not both then Armia/Dvorak is going, too.

So, it would be something like

Josh Anderson/Brendan Gallagher
Christian Dvorak/Joel Armia
Jesse Ylonen

PLD
Kaliyev
2024 1st + 2025 2nd
Or
2025 1st + 2026 2nd.
Rights to Matt Roy.

Honestly I'm not even sure if that's enough, but might not be as painful.

Maybe best case if the Habs do want him is he's bought out, so he wants less and can have a better contract.

f*** it's going to be a long summer.

Most of Hughes's moves will be from Draft to July 10th IMO. Most teams make most of their moves in this span.

I am open to Dubois trade but has to have retention down to $7.5M (can't have a higher AAV than Suzuki on our team). My trade looks like this or no deal.

* Gallagher or Anderson or both
* Minor youth add like Harris or Ylonen or both
for
* Dubois
* 1st round pick (only lottery protected). Could be any pick from 24-26 drafts and I would personally prefer the 25 or 26 drafts. Keep spreading out our draft power.

Must haves or no spark to any potential deal
* Gallagher and/or Anderson included.
* Retention down to $7.5M
* 1st round pick to cover the extra 4 years on top of Gallagher/Anderson.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about Zegras+ for Reinbacher?

What would the add need to be?

They won't add on top of Zegras. The media has caused a Zegras devalue. Ducks are not trading him for cheap. They have lots of time to manage Zegras on if he stays or if they trade him. I'm sure they are open to a trade but they are not desperate for one.

I think they target Guhle. Someone already in the NHL and proven young player. I personally like Zegras a lot but no way I'm trading a mobile physical D man (Guhle or Reinbacher) for a light forward who is coming off a injury/meh season.

What is Zegras? 60 pts guy (+/-) or is he really a 80+ guy? I'm not paying for a 80+ guy but I would pay for a 60-70 range forward who is a bit on the undersized side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad