Player Discussion Tocchet What Is/How He Doing?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
record under Tocchet:
9-7-2 20 points in 18 games .556
do that for a season:
and they would be tied with Nashville for 20th in league standings.
in sole possession of 5th in the division
3rd spot in the Wildcard

.556 is the best that a Tocchet led team has achieved, in his career.
Considering that he took over a team that was an inherent mess defensively,and had AHL/ECHL level goaltending that record isn’t bad.

Tocchet has also stated that the results of this season matter less than the process (establishing a commitment to team defense).

I think that this season is more about getting them prepared for next season (as the team has literally collapsed in the first quarter for the last 3 years).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm starting to get a big worried that Tocchet will do the same thing with Quinn Hughes that he did with OEL in Arizona--play him into the ground.

It's obvious that OEL's career could well be shortened by all the ice time and and injuries he tried to play through under Tocchet in the desert.

Frankly it's ridiculous that Hughes is playing upwards of 25-plus minutes a night in games that at the end of the day mean 'diddly squat'. He's getting double shifted late in games and even playing on the PK, which makes zero sense to me.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I'm starting to get a big worried that Tocchet will do the same thing with Quinn Hughes that he did with OEL in Arizona--play him into the ground.

It's obvious that OEL's career could well be shortened by all the ice time and and injuries he tried to play through under Tocchet in the desert.

Frankly it's ridiculous that Hughes is playing upwards of 25-plus minutes a night in games that at the end of the day mean 'diddly squat'. He's getting double shifted late in games and even playing on the PK, which makes zero sense to me.
Tocchet played OEL an average of 24:30. It was in line with OEL's usage prior to Tocchet's arrival (~25 min/game).

QH the past 2 seasons is also at ~25 min/game. That's in line with other #1 dmen around the league who are about the same usage: Dahlin, Nurse (yeah, I know), Larsson, Morrisey, Josi. Somehow, Doughty is still logging 26min+(!!!)

At any rate, I agree with your sentiment. Garbage time should be used as an extended try-out. Hopefully QH's minutes can drop with Hronek's arrival (whenever that is).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm pretty happy with the staff. I like that the organization is creating a culture, has experienced people who the players can turn to as resources that had success using top end skill, smarts (Sedins Gonchar) and others that built success through grit determination and compete (Tocchet Foote) and others that look to be good teachers and approachable (Colliton Higgins Samuelsson)

It's not imperative to have ex players throughout but i think it helps to have people that current players can turn to for advice on how to achieve success in their games not just get served instructions and demands without those people around to help out when they struggle.

Tocchet is not articulate and i wonder about his ability to adjust and handle adversity when there is pressure to perform but so far so good on getting them playing as a team and working hard

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I'm pretty happy with the staff. I like that the organization is creating a culture, has experienced people who the players can turn to as resources that had success using top end skill, smarts (Sedins Gonchar) and others that built success through grit determination and compete (Tocchet Foote) and others that look to be good teachers and approachable (Colliton Higgins Samuelsson)

It's not imperative to have ex players throughout but i think it helps to have people that current players can turn to for advice on how to achieve success in their games not just get served instructions and demands without those people around to help out when they struggle.

Tocchet is not articulate and i wonder about his ability to adjust and handle adversity when there is pressure to perform but so far so good on getting them playing as a team and working hard
I think he speaks in a way that hockey players understand and appreciate. I remember him replying when asked what he thought was his strong suit when coaching and his answer was “I’m a communicator”.
He seems to be getting his message through to the players so I’m not concerned with how articulate he comes across to the press and us fans.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pretty much been impressed with almost everything, I would like to see certain players get a little bit more of an opportunity, but it’s not like he’s not playing the kids, PDG ( maybe not super young) but he’s giving him a big opportunity.

Overall, I’ve been impressed

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Last year, when the new Canucks management commented that they were dissatisfied with the lack of structure in the team's play, I didn't disagree with their assessment. I just didn't think it was fair to coach Boudreau to make it so public. (Criticize in private).

In retrospect, I wonder if this was an added angst for the players - that while they really liked and respected BB as a person, they were frustrated over his, and their own, inability to impart that needed structure.

I admit I was not impressed when they hired Tocchet. However, I can't deny seeing the overall improved defensive play. And, like BB did last year, he and the team are benefitting from the return of prime Demko. It's a small sample size, but I hope he and his staff can carry this over to next season, especially the impressive turnaround of JT Miller. All of the players seem more focused and disciplined.

And a thumbs up to Tocchet for giving credit to the coaching staff in Abby for the seamless way that the call-ups on defense are playing.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I hate to break it to some people but we have no idea if "prime Demko" is back. For the first time in forever the team plays good enough defence to insulate the goalies, not the other way around.

He still has the same tendencies and quirks that became a liability earlier in the year. He's still leaning towards the post, going down too soon, and is out of control on lateral pushes. If anything his movement is still rusty. He seems to have gotten his tracking back to some extent but because none of the goalies have had a very difficult game in the last 10 or so it's hard to tell.

They only have 9 more games against difficult opponents (SEAx1, DALx2, LAx3, VGKx1, CALx2), and only one back-to-back. Until we see this team completely shit the bed we won't know how "on" he is.

I'm hoping we can get him to the end of the season and then he gets a nice reset to start next season.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
I hate to break it to some people but we have no idea if "prime Demko" is back. For the first time in forever the team plays good enough defence to insulate the goalies, not the other way around.

He still has the same tendencies and quirks that became a liability earlier in the year. He's still leaning towards the post, going down too soon, and is out of control on lateral pushes. If anything his movement is still rusty. He seems to have gotten his tracking back to some extent but because none of the goalies have had a very difficult game in the last 10 or so it's hard to tell.

They only have 9 more games against difficult opponents (SEAx1, DALx2, LAx3, VGKx1, CALx2), and only one back-to-back. Until we see this team completely shit the bed we won't know how "on" he is.

I'm hoping we can get him to the end of the season and then he gets a nice reset to start next season.
What did you think of his ability to get back on his feet; to me he seemed a bit slow and awkward a few times?
I'm wondering if he is 100% yet; and if not why the F are they playing him!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What did you think of his ability to get back on his feet; to me he seemed a bit slow and awkward a few times?
I'm wondering if he is 100% yet; and if not why the F are they playing him!
I'm trying to figure out if he is kind of pacing himself or saving energy or he's still got a minor injury. First game back he was really taking his time getting up when the play had gone up ice but I figured it was just rust.

Like lately he has been able to make some explosive moves when down which is a good sign but he is definitely more awkward at moments. Overall he was much better in his movements at the beginning of the season but he wasn't stopping anything lol. But at that time he was so crisp he was almost showing off, like he would snap up just to show how w will he could do it.

Reactions: Gurn

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Rick didnt have much to work with... cant blame him for .556 hockey.
If management some how get him a top 4 defensive minded dman to work with in addition to Hronek.... i could see us winning a lot of games next year (Assuming Demko is in top10 form)
Regardless of what they do with oel/myers, another top4 guy who can munch22 mins a nigt would completely change this team

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Im impressed with the better defensive play from the team. Imparting structure to this team while going through the upheaval in personnel is to be commended. All that said, this time of the year is to see what you have in the more fringe players, he needs to allocate more ice time to the players that needs to grow under less urgency to win each game. I cannot fault a coach for wanting to win, its impressive that he is winning with this makeshift defense.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He’s a typical coach that values structure, stars and veteran. Young guys who aren’t star players will get the short end of the stick most of the time

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
North sounth east west guys
Inside guys outside guys
Blah blah

All these cliches are so boring

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to give some serious props to Rick Tocchet for the way the Canucks are closing out the season.

He came to Vancouver is the toughest circumstances possible, after management completely botched the Boudreau departure. No fault of his that he was trying to replace a guy who'd become a bit of a celebrity with the fan base.

But in 20 games he's completely turned this team and the program around.....to the point where optimism for next season is more than a flight of fantasy.

The Canucks actually look like a team 'on the rise'........and people around the NHL are starting to take notice.

Reactions: Indiana

dez

Mar 3, 2012
You have to give some serious props to Rick Tocchet for the way the Canucks are closing out the season.

He came to Vancouver is the toughest circumstances possible, after management completely botched the Boudreau departure. No fault of his that he was trying to replace a guy who'd become a bit of a celebrity with the fan base.

But in 20 games he's completely turned this team and the program around.....to the point where optimism for next season is more than a flight of fantasy.

The Canucks actually look like a team 'on the rise'........and people around the NHL are starting to take notice.
It's fantasy.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
record under Tocchet:
9-7-2 20 points in 18 games .556
do that for a season:
and they would be tied with Nashville for 20th in league standings.
in sole possession of 5th in the division
3rd spot in the Wildcard

.556 is the best that a Tocchet led team has achieved, in his career.
15 days later:
15-9-2 32 points in 26 games .615
Do that for a season:
sole possession of 12th in the league
4th in the division
1rst wild card spot.

That said- has anyone bothered to look at just which teams they have beat, that were/are in a play off spot?

Reactions: racerjoe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Feels like we've seen this story before, garbage time hits and the team looks like they've finally turned the page.

I'm gonna need to see the improvement from game one to really believe anything has changed.

Reactions: hellstick

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
From first game coached to last
W vs Chicago
L vs Seattle
W vs CBJ
L vs NJ
L vs Rangers
W vs Islanders
L vs Wings
L vs Wings
L vs Rangers
W vs Philly
L vs Nashville
W vs St Louis
L vs Boston
W vs Dallas
L vs Minnesota
W vs Toronto
W vs Nashville
W vs Ducks
W vs Ottawa
W vs Dallas
L vs Coyotes
W vs Kings
W vs Ducks
L vs Knights
W vs Sharks
W vs Dallas
W vs Chicago.

Lots of wins against very poor teams.

Reactions: Indiana

Love

Feb 29, 2012
15 days later:
15-9-2 32 points in 26 games .615
Do that for a season:
sole possession of 12th in the league
4th in the division
1rst wild card spot.

That said- has anyone bothered to look at just which teams they have beat, that were/are in a play off spot?
From first game coached to last
W vs Chicago
L vs Seattle
W vs CBJ
L vs NJ
L vs Rangers
W vs Islanders
L vs Wings
L vs Wings
L vs Rangers
W vs Philly
L vs Nashville
W vs St Louis
L vs Boston
W vs Dallas
L vs Minnesota
W vs Toronto
W vs Nashville
W vs Ducks
W vs Ottawa
W vs Dallas
L vs Coyotes
W vs Kings
W vs Ducks
L vs Knights
W vs Sharks
W vs Dallas
W vs Chicago.

Lots of wins against very poor teams.
I mean yeah they’re beating the teams they should beat but also have wins against:

Stars x3
Kings
Senators
Leafs
Islanders
Predators

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008

Except everyone knows their schedule was easier in the last leg of the season and this same thing happens every year. All it's doing is putting us in a worse position at the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad