Player Discussion Tocchet What Is/How He Doing?

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
1681062642352.png

Happy 59th to the all-time leader in Gordie Howe hat tricks (18)!!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rick Tocchet is on a collision course with this current version of the Vancouver Canucks......too soft, lacking in intensity, and too many d-zone mistakes.

I believe Tocchet knows the kind of hockey the Canucks need to play to be successful, but also knows he doesn't have the horses to make it happen.

The rubber hits the road next season when the Canucks go on one of their perennial losing swoons, and another season starts slipping away.

I think Rutherford and Allvin know what's probably coming--but capped out with too many bad contracts, and little in the pipeline, they're powerless to change it very much.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
identical bump to Boudreau and the regression back
it is so predictable

100% guaranteed Aquilini is coming up with some BS ceremony or presentation around december.
although i dont think it will be a coach firing

it will be a brutal trade around January 10th

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
You have to give some serious props to Rick Tocchet for the way the Canucks are closing out the season.

He came to Vancouver is the toughest circumstances possible, after management completely botched the Boudreau departure. No fault of his that he was trying to replace a guy who'd become a bit of a celebrity with the fan base.

But in 20 games he's completely turned this team and the program around.....to the point where optimism for next season is more than a flight of fantasy.

The Canucks actually look like a team 'on the rise'........and people around the NHL are starting to take notice.
michael%20jordan%20laughing%20gif.gif

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hes got a very easy schedule after getting this title.
I firmly believe he is not a part of the solution to the canucks long list of problems.

He's here to sell "hope", as Blueberry boi instructed every f***ing season end.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Well one more game and they can be a winning team :)

Seriously, Tocchet is doing fine. He is bringing exactly what this team needs, accountability. It's an easy word to say but harder to do. For the most part he has given out ice time based on merit. He is direct and respectful in his criticism. And he is good with the media, mainly for the reasons stated.

The one thing that I'm not too sure about is whether, over the long term, his singular obsessiveness on winning board battles will set in the players minds as the goal rather than one of the tactics towards the bigger goal of scoring and winning. Time will tell.

Reactions: Indiana

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see this frequently mentioned new coach bump or better systems/structure others seem to.

Is tocchet the key to pushing the right buttons turning a perennial garbage team into a playoffs contender, I'm not sure I see those indicators either.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The real issue is how Tocchet's 'tough love' approach will play out next season. The players will buy in if they keep winning; but makes you wonder what happens if the players slump and the team goes into a swoon.

As we saw in Calgary, a coach like Darryl Sutter definitely has a 'shelf life'.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The real issue is how Tocchet's 'tough love' approach will play out next season. The players will buy in if they keep winning; but makes you wonder what happens if the players slump and the team goes into a swoon.

As we saw in Calgary, a coach like Darryl Sutter definitely has a 'shelf life'.
The first month of the regular season is to us what the 1st round of the playoffs is to Toronto.

Will be interesting to see what the next move is if they flop out of the gate for the 4th consecutive season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
identical bump to Boudreau and the regression back
it is so predictable

100% guaranteed Aquilini is coming up with some BS ceremony or presentation around december.
although i dont think it will be a coach firing

it will be a brutal trade around January 10th

Last year's coaching change: 10 game winning streak, Bruce there it is!!

This year's coaching change: "Well, they're doing a lot better 5 on 5, and the PK isn't quite as bad...!"

-----------------------

I still think Tocchet's being put in a position to fail. The same flaws on the team persist, there's still nothing of note in the pipeline aside from a couple of secondary players in Podkolzin and Hoglander, the backend is still a mess, and they were back to running the same formula when Green was here. Get crushed in possession, shots and chances against, rely on great goaltending to keep the score close enough so the team can eke out some loser points and OT wins. It blows me away that there can still be people who read anything into garbage time winning streaks.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I thought Tocchet was a bad hire. I'm ready to eat crow on this.

The team looked different tonight and that's the best the power play has looked with this core by a mile.
Its been one game, chill.
But honestly this game in isolation was pretty good and I like that the team was ready at game 1.
For the 1st time in like the last decade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Relationships with the front office are important for any NHL coach, and Tocchet ticks all the boxes. He was hired as an assistant coach in Pittsburgh by Rutherford-Allvin and was behind the bench for two Stanley Cups.

And of course he's had head coaching stops in Arizona and Tampa Bay, since first being hired as an assistant coach by the Avalanche a year after his playing career came to an end back in 2001. So he' been coaching the NHL continuously for more than 22 years

He's the right fit in Vancouver.....and the team so far looks rejuvenated under his leadership.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
The run the team went on at the end of the season was far more sustainable than the Boudreau bump. It showed last night. I like Boudreau but he was carried by goaltending.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know which coaches are responsible for the PK, but it's like 'night and day'. Of course Allvin prioritized the PK when he signed a bunch of bottom-six forwards this off-season.

And last night it was active sticks, down-low puck pressure, and forceful clearances from their own zone. Great to see.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I still keep pronouncing it Rick Tosshay and I can’t stop.

The run the team went on at the end of the season was far more sustainable than the Boudreau bump. It showed last night. I like Boudreau but he was carried by goaltending.
I love Bruce the person I just don’t know if Bruce the Coach is a good coach in 2023 if he doesn’t want to change it up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When you look at the overall quality of our forecheck and defensive play last night relative to the competition and then toss on 8 goals, that was probably the best/most impressive game a Vancouver Canucks team has played since the 11-12 season.

Tocchet has done a terrific job so far. Very interested to see where this goes and if he can get the team to maintain that level of intensity every night.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
When you look at the overall quality of our forecheck and defensive play last night relative to the competition and then toss on 8 goals, that was probably the best/most impressive game a Vancouver Canucks team has played since the 11-12 season.

Tocchet has done a terrific job so far. Very interested to see where this goes and if he can get the team to maintain that level of intensity every night.
If he can get this effort (not necessarily the score) most nights I think we go from “should be a playoff team” to talking about divisional seeds. Especially if they can get another RHD. No one has beaten the Canucks more than the Canucks beat themselves.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not going to jump the gun here. A lot of people thought Boudreau had turned the team around too. One thing I will say is that I think Tochett has more to work with than Boudreau including a better mix of forwards, a somewhat upgraded D and much better options on the PK.
The team does however look much more structured in their play since he took over. I also like how he holds players accountable.

Reactions: Indiana

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
This deserves a bump. Just listened to Toc after practice and was thinking that we’ve not had a coach that comes across so open and honest. It’s easy to see why the players like him. I’d work for a guy like that any day of the week.

Reactions: strattonius and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad