Confirmed with Link: Tobias Rieder Re-signed (2 Years - 2.225AAV)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Coyotes shouldn't budge. What is on the table is what he can take. He has already played every card available to him. Let him twist in the wind, because he clearly thinks he's more important than he really is. He is a year early on this ****. All he had to do was sign a bridge deal, play for the coach that adores him in every role imaginable, and then he can sign the big deal.

It would be different if he was quiet ala Boedker's last camp holdout. In that case, you can move your offer around. But this guy is perfectly okay with throwing a tamper tantrum, so don't move. Not a single cent. If the agent wants to meet over lunch, he pays for the food and drinks. As far as I'm concerned, the relationship is effectively severed. He can go do what he thinks is best for him.

I agree, but I don't think the relationship is severed. The ball is in Rieders court, and it's his move next. He decides where he plays.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Reider is well liked as the scrappy "not a super star" player, but it seems to me, his agent is overplaying his hand quite a bit. If Reider wants to play in the K because he won't get paid like he wants in the NHL, all the best to him.

It seems to me that a 3 way deal can be made, including Reider, with the Maple Leafs. The Leafs can send Kadri and young talent to Winnie, Winnie can send Trouba to us, and we can send Reider and forward talent to the Leafs. I don't think that the needs of Winnie and Arizona match up all that well, so a 3rd team is needed for us to land Trouba.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Ok, time for the dumb question of the day...

Can't an RFA player get an offer sheet from another team then the team they are with gets the choice to match it or let them go? If he is worth what he thinks he is then why isn't there a line of teams offering him exactly that?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Offer sheets are pretty rare to begin with.

Still, he's seeking $2.5 mil/yr, which in terms of offer sheets, pays a 2nd rounder as compensation. That's a fair payment for Rieder (for the new team). I wonder if the Coyotes would match.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Still, he's seeking $2.5 mil/yr, which in terms of offer sheets, pays a 2nd rounder as compensation. That's a fair payment for Rieder (for the new team). I wonder if the Coyotes would match.

It would give them an excuse to match, for sure. They're not overpaying an RFA at that point, they're defending themselves against an offersheet. I'm sure the Coyotes would be mildly relieved if some team got him to sign a two year, five million dollars deal. Then they could get this damned player under contact and not have to worry about the precedent they set (which will be only that they match offer sheets).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ok, time for the dumb question of the day...

Can't an RFA player get an offer sheet from another team then the team they are with gets the choice to match it or let them go? If he is worth what he thinks he is then why isn't there a line of teams offering him exactly that?

I think you answered your own question. :)

It would give them an excuse to match, for sure. They're not overpaying an RFA at that point, they're defending themselves against an offersheet. I'm sure the Coyotes would be mildly relieved if some team got him to sign a two year, five million dollars deal. Then they could get this damned player under contact and not have to worry about the precedent they set (which will be only that they match offer sheets).

That's an interesting scenario, but I don't think a team would risk doing a offer sheet for a third line player as they are, as cobra would say, a dime a dozen. I think almost every team has a Rieder on their team.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I was actually thinking about this earlier. How many people would have voted to let Rieder go for a second rounder if he was offer sheeted at 2.5x2? I'm betting near enough to zero. But today we have people saying absolutely nothing is better than keeping Rieder at 2.5x2. It doesn't make sense. We're burning an asset.

And I think Chayka would be glad to save face and just match an offer sheet at this point. What a mess (and again, I'm not pinning it all on Chayka).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think almost every team has a Rieder on their team.
I look forward to that list and a list of teams that don't have room for another speedy 23yoa two-way player who put up 35+points.

I guess we could eliminate teams without 2.5M in capspace, to start off.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
The way Ferris says "He never balked at the defensive role they made him play" makes me think this isn't about the money at all, or at least not completely as I'm certainly curious if the numbers Ferris is saying are true. Rieder already asked off one organization because he felt they had to many high end offensive guys ahead of him on the chart. Here he has Domi and McGinn ahead of him now, the Yotes trading for Crouse and guys like Perlini and Keller coming. I think Tobi wants a bona-fide top 6 role somewhere and knows he's highly unlikely to get it here. Contract time is just the easiest time for the ask.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The way Ferris says "He never balked at the defensive role they made him play" makes me think this isn't about the money at all, or at least not completely as I'm certainly curious if the numbers Ferris is saying are true. Rieder already asked off one organization because he felt they had to many high end offensive guys ahead of him on the chart. Here he has Domi and McGinn ahead of him now, the Yotes trading for Crouse and guys like Perlini and Keller coming. I think Tobi wants a bona-fide top 6 role somewhere and knows he's highly unlikely to get it here. Contract time is just the easiest time for the ask.

The "defensive role" wasn't even really strictly true last season. He had over 2 minutes a game power play time and played with some of our better offensive players. Actually he played less on the PK than the PP. Tough assignments 5 on 5? Yeah.

It is true though that some of that could go away if he can't beat out upcoming prospects to keep his role, but that's basically every NHL player's problem.

rt

May 13, 2004
There aren't many clearly better situations for Rieder in the NHL than he has here. Toronto for sure. I can't really think of any other unquestionably better spots. He's never going to be as good as Max Domi. Other than that, he's got a great shot of always being the 3rd or 4th best winger on the squad for the next half decade, at least. Maybe he won't be. But that's true anywhere. This is as good a spot for him as anywhere else and a much better spot than most other places.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He doesn't have the skillset for top 6 on a competitive team lel

KG

Sep 23, 2010
How is Rieder that much different from korpokswi when he was actually playing well?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Rieder enjoyed great success through the first 41 games.

1-41: 26 pts 0.63 ppg 113 sog
42-82: 11 pts 0.27 ppg 76 sog

The wonder is which player is he, the one of the first half or the second half.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions.

Totally agree, I don't even feel like a real human being until I drink several cups of it.

Here is a visual representation of my caffeine tolerance level, though:

3099xkx.png

rt

May 13, 2004
14 goals isn't top six production.

There were 41 LWs in the NHL with more points than Rieder last season. Only 26 with more than 45 points. If you think he can be a 45pt winger, you think he can be a top six forward. Andrew Ladd had 46 points. David Backes had 45 points. Just as examples.

Most teams don't have the luxury of six "top six" forwards. There were only 40 60pt forwards in the league last year. These are the times we live in.

30 teams x 3 first liners per team = 90 first liners
30 teams x 3 second liners per team = 90 second liners
=180 top six forwards in the NHL

How many points did the 90th place scorer get last season? 49.
How many points did the 180th place scorer get last season? 34.
How about a tweener? Someone at place 135th? 40pts

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I don't understand this.

Well I should have used Finland as the example, actually.

Q7DrzoG.png

Sweden just came to mind because I just finished a book that was set in Sweden, and I was amused by seemingly every other paragraph starting off with something along the lines of, "______ got a cup of coffee." (Then, every paragraph that didn't, seemed to start off with, "______ lit up a cigarette.)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How is Rieder that much different from korpokswi when he was actually playing well?

That's a fair question, though a 4 year commitment is a bit different than a two-year in that regard. And salaries keep climbing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad