Confirmed with Link: Tobias Rieder Re-signed (2 Years - 2.225AAV)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Korpikoski never had fancy stats on his side. Definition of a player that got by on reputation. Rieder does.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The way Ferris says "He never balked at the defensive role they made him play" makes me think this isn't about the money at all, or at least not completely as I'm certainly curious if the numbers Ferris is saying are true. Rieder already asked off one organization because he felt they had to many high end offensive guys ahead of him on the chart. Here he has Domi and McGinn ahead of him now, the Yotes trading for Crouse and guys like Perlini and Keller coming. I think Tobi wants a bona-fide top 6 role somewhere and knows he's highly unlikely to get it here. Contract time is just the easiest time for the ask.

100% this.

I totally understand trying to go after a longer term contract b/c it is that security blanket of being with the team (or at least likely to be in the NHL) for a long time. That was probably also where his agent was originally pulling the "Kadri comparable" numbers - it was all based off of a long term agreement.

The problem was that management knew that there were a ton of LW prospects in our system, so it could only hurt us to sign Rieder to a long-term deal, especially with the likelihood that Domi, Keller, and a few others were probably going to be in the role that Rieder expected. The trade for Crouse only strengthened management position and weakened Rieder's.

Agent and team were thinking the exact same thing, but agent is interested in getting most dollar for client and most dollar for himself. Agent ignores that the team is more interested in short term deals and positions himself and player to only go after long term deal. Bad play by agent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The trade me card is standard negotiation material to get the other party to move. No holdout until Team Europe done playing. He's missed nothing and is playing at the highest level. Real negotiation doesn't start until World Cup over. This negotiation will be over by next week. Don't sweat it.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Reider is well liked as the scrappy "not a super star" player, but it seems to me, his agent is overplaying his hand quite a bit. If Reider wants to play in the K because he won't get paid like he wants in the NHL, all the best to him.

It seems to me that a 3 way deal can be made, including Reider, with the Maple Leafs. The Leafs can send Kadri and young talent to Winnie, Winnie can send Trouba to us, and we can send Reider and forward talent to the Leafs. I don't think that the needs of Winnie and Arizona match up all that well, so a 3rd team is needed for us to land Trouba.

Leafs would much rather have Trouba. If they are trading Kadri and young talent the add to Reider would have to be quite significant.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
McKenzie confirmed that this isn't an official trade request. Rather, his agent saying "trade him if...". Still, that may not matter much.

Rieder looks really good tonight for Team Europe.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Worst case scenario is Rieder scores GWG in game 3...

Only thing that can do is support Rieder (more specifically his agent - I would actually be very happy for him if he did wind up scoring that, but his agent would have one last round in the chamber :laugh:)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rather, his agent saying "trade him if..."

Holy parsing Batman :laugh: (Not you of course Mosby :P)

Let's examine:

Rieder's Silly Agent said:
I think it would be best for both parties if they just traded him

This guy is Rieder's agent so he ostensibly wants what is best for his client which is one of the parties. And he said it would be best not only for his client but for the Coyotes to trade him. Therefore he wants a trade since he wants what is best for his client.

I just don't even, this isn't hard :dunce:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The trade me card is standard negotiation material to get the other party to move. No holdout until Team Europe done playing. He's missed nothing and is playing at the highest level. Real negotiation doesn't start until World Cup over. This negotiation will be over by next week. Don't sweat it.

I agree, he signs next week. I know his agent says to trade him, but to who and for what? What team would Reider go to that would pencil him in on the second line? I can't really think of any. He would be a third liner. Who would pay him 2.5 mill? What would we get for a third liner winger that has tried to force his way out of Edmonton and Arizona? How much would it hurt us if he sits? Not much, which is why he will sign, next week:)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think there are quite a lot of teams would take a nearly free tweener with + defense for 2.5m. 2nd line minutes/trade value? Yeah a lot more questionable. Columbus is LOL horribad and could fit him in cap wise for instance. Even if whatever team was taking him was aware he'd be instantly looking to bolt again after 2 years his production for 2 years would still be worth it.

There's not much in it for the Coyotes to abide since the T word was uttered though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think there are quite a lot of teams would take a nearly free tweener with + defense for 2.5m. 2nd line minutes/trade value? Yeah a lot more questionable. Columbus is LOL horribad and could fit him in cap wise for instance. Even if whatever team was taking him was aware he'd be instantly looking to bolt again after 2 years his production for 2 years would still be worth it.

There's not much in it for the Coyotes to abide since the T word was uttered though.

For me it's not a question who wants him, it's who the Coyotes want in return. So, it's not only "nearly free tweener" as you put it, but also what they have to give up for Rieder. So if Rieder bolts his new team in two years, the cost to that team could be substantial.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Columbus has Jenner, Saad, and Hartnell on the left side. Don't think they need Rieder. If they want him, I'd love to add Josh Anderson to our mix. Keegan Kolesar, too.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
At this point, I don't think the Coyotes will be able to find a fair value trade for him and I'm pretty sure Chayka won't trade him for lesser value. The tough part is determining what fair value is for Rieder. On a "lesser" team, he would be a solid 2nd line forward, but then a "lesser" team doesn't have the pieces that the Chayka would want for him. A 1st or 2nd would probably be worth considering (depending on the team), but nothing beyond that. Borderine prospects/players might be worth considering, depending on where they may slot in. At this point, we mainly need 1st line forwards or a top pairing RHD; Rieder doesn't fetch that on his own.

Hopefully, if he doesn't re-sign before the season, he'll be willing to sign within a month as he's sitting and watching hockey rather than playing. I don't think he'll sign in Europe, but if he does, I think we can find a player to slot into that 3rd line LW position. The player may not be as promising (as a scorer or defender), but we'd survive.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This will be settled by Weds next week.

Most likely, but at this point, I don't think a trade is in the cards, so it's either sign or sit for Rieder, unless someone overpays to acquire him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Most likely, but at this point, I don't think a trade is in the cards, so it's either sign or sit for Rieder, unless someone overpays to acquire him.
Doubt GMJC wants to set a precedent of an agent/player forcing a trade, unless as you say, there's an overpayment coming back (which is doubtful).

It's likely sign or sit.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Nobody will over pay. Incidentally, Martinook had 24 points last year versus Reider's 21 points his first year. Martinook can step into Reiders shoes if he has to sit for a while. Martinook might be a 37 point guy this year given the opportunity.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When can we start getting cap relief? We can't sign Reider for anything above $2.3 until we get some additional cap space.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think so, but I think there's also a interlude where the cap takes effect becore ltir factors. Philly had this problem once, I think because of Pronger. Send up the mouse signal!

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We have to be cap compliant the day before the regular season starts. I assume that's the same day the LTIR stuff can happen.

The Blues lost Schwartz for 4 weeks. He's a LW. They'll likely move Fabbri up a slot but maybe they take Rieder to play 2/3 on the LW? Where they originally had Fabbri.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think so, but I think there's also a interlude where the cap takes effect becore ltir factors. Philly had this problem once, I think because of Pronger. Send up the mouse signal!
Was wondering about LTIR factor. This means current cap space of $2.3m becomes $6.7m (Bolland $5.5m salary becomes $1.1m LTIR hit) once season starts. Correct?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The team's cap will depends on exactly how and when they trigger the LTIR Exception. Plus who's on the active roster at that time vs. being temporarily sent to the AHL.

Lots of different ways the Yotes could shuffle it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad