Tmac vs Hitch (what is Hitch doing different than Tmac)

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think if we promote Hitch from Coach to AGM and promote Gullutsan or Yawney to interim Head Coach we might be able to spark the 10 game new coach bump like we had with Hitch, it’s worth a try, we are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
McLellan was crap. Hitchcock has proven to be just as bad, if not worse. ****.
Yeah, not the horrid roster/ tending.
But I thought it was TMacs fault
But I guess you are right. We clearly need a good coach

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Even though I stopped writing for a while I've been following the Oilers and Pulju closely. I would really really love to have the team succeed as there are so many loyal fans who simply deserve better. I thought Hitch could be some kind of an answer, but I was obviously wrong. It's like his whole approach has changed with all the line blending etc.

And Pulju, I'm typing this one message for now and hope there's no "Pulju can do no wrong" nonsense this time. I'm still staying out of his thread and hope to avoid bullets here.

However anyone feels about him, the eyetest showed he had developed step by step. He'd finally started to contribute offensively (especially with the almost non-existent PP usage and low TOI). He'd scored 4 points in 9 games (7 in 16) so it's the timing of the demotion to the 4th line that bothers me. I also don't understand why Hitch hasn't put the line Khaira-Nuge-Pulju back again.

Those points may not sound like very much, but at least it was as good as any winger scored during that time. And only Chiasson (with plenty of PP time) has better points/60 this season compared to what Pulju had in his last 10 (and probably even 20) games.

Pulju won't score points while playing 6-10 minutes on the 4th line with players like Cave, Marody and Brodziak, having no PP usage. According to EJ grades he's still played pretty well, but those minutes and those linemates don't make gaining confidence easier for him.

Just AHL him or a trade him to a team that gives him a chance on the PP. Am I wrong to say that the one time the Oilers did that it actually resulted in a goal? While Puljujarvi himself needs to keep on working on his issues it must be so frustrating to be in the trade rumours and not even get a chance to salvage something on the PP, which used to be his specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragss and Aerrol

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Mark Spector
@SportsnetSpec
Glen Gulutzan running Oilers practice today, while Hitchcock watches with Gretzky and Howson.

12:22pm · 6 Feb 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Yikes... That picture paints a thousand words.

hitch has likely worn out his welcome amongst the players. even gregor just said he's heard there's a disconnect now between hitch and the players. he said he's never heard that regarding todd and the players.

you can see this coming from a mile away. hard a** coach paired with a young soft team who's mentally weak A.F. and has a losing culture.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
hitch has likely worn out his welcome amongst the players. even gregor just said he's heard there's a disconnect now between hitch and the players. he said he's never heard that regarding todd and the players.

you can see this coming from a mile away. hard a** coach paired with a young soft team who's mentally weak A.F. and has a losing culture.
I said the second he was hired that he was a dinosaur...McLellan had a lot faults, but he was by and large a "players coach"

Hitch grates on players and grates on them quickly...and the losses have made it even worse

I'm guessing he's a figurehead at best for the last 29 games...Gluegun will be the "de-facto" coach going forward

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Hitch owes McLellan an apology, came in guns blazing and was slinging mud about not sure what the last guy here was doing, fast forward a few months and the jolt of energy from a coaching change has worn off and we are playing awful hockey right now, every bit as bad as the bad times with McLellan.

I agree.
I said at the time he was fired that he didnt deserve being held responsible for this s*** show roster.

The only way I could rationalize the move was to suggest that the players needed a new voice. This roster is so deeply flawed it will be years before things get turned around.
Thats assuming the dummy's that created the mess have the intelligence and will to fix it.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I said the second he was hired that he was a dinosaur...McLellan had a lot faults, but he was by and large a "players coach"

Hitch grates on players and grates on them quickly...and the losses have made it even worse

I'm guessing he's a figurehead at best for the last 29 games...Gluegun will be the "de-facto" coach going forward

both sides take blame but i hate that the players on this team are so soft, sensitive and mentally weak. play the f****** right way and you probably won't have issues with hitch.

i wouldn't be surprised if this is gulutzan's team for the last part of the season and hitch is, like you said, more a figurehead. i bet harsh words were exchanged between players and hitch both ways and the tear in the relationship might not be mended.... or at least might take a while.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
both sides take blame but i hate that the players on this team are so soft, sensitive and mentally weak. play the f****** right way and you probably won't have issues with hitch.

i wouldn't be surprised if this is gulutzan's team for the last part of the season and hitch is, like you said, more a figurehead. i bet harsh words were exchanged between players and hitch both ways and the tear in the relationship might not be mended.... or at least might take a while.
that's today's game though

look at "hard-ass" Randy Carlyle's team is doing in Anaheim these days

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
that's today's game though

look at "hard-ass" Randy Carlyle's team is doing in Anaheim these days

and you're right. coach has to have that firm strict assertiveness but also be sensitive and willing to hear, speak and properly communicate with players nowadays. especially if the team is young. just frustrating because this team never learns to play the right way consistently no matter who the coach is.

though babcock is quite acerbic and he can still have some level of success. but ya, times have changed. players are so different now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
and you're right. coach has to have that firm strict assertiveness but also be sensitive and willing to hear, speak and properly communicate with players nowadays. especially if the team is young. just frustrating because this team never learns to play the right way consistently no matter who the coach is.

though babcock is quite acerbic and he can still have some level of success. but ya, times have changed. players are so different now.

This team has to be systematically disassembled and rebuilt IMO. Its it just so fundamentally flawed.
As I posted in another thread I would start by getting rid of some the players that simply cant seem to think the game very well. Thats not easy because when your confidence is low you do things that you wouldnt ordinarily do.

But if you have a team that can think the game properly but doesnt have the talent you can at least compete because they wont constantly shoot themselves in the foot like this team does.

The new GM will have a f******* mess on his hands and it wont be sorted out in 1 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Mark Spector
@SportsnetSpec
Glen Gulutzan running Oilers practice today, while Hitchcock watches with Gretzky and Howson.

12:22pm · 6 Feb 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Yikes... That picture paints a thousand words.

So Hitch decides not to be on the ice, the head coach of the team, that's in a world of hurt right now. What's his reasoning for this? What good will sitting up there like a grumpy old man do for the good of the team? If this team starts to turn a corner with Gulutzan taking charge in the practices, what does that say about him?

I think it's a terrible move on his part. Just like when he pulled McDavid, Leon and Nuge from practice while everyone else stayed behind for a bag skate punishment like a bunch of school children. Just continually sending the wrong message as the leader of a struggling hockey team.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I think if we promote Hitch from Coach to AGM and promote Gullutsan or Yawney to interim Head Coach we might be able to spark the 10 game new coach bump like we had with Hitch, it’s worth a try, we are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

But what would be the point?

If this team flukes into the playoffs based on some short-term motivation, it doesn't address any underlying problems with the roster. It also might serve as confirmation to the idiots in management that the roster is "good enough".

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hitch should step down and say that right now he isn't geared up for the stretch drive because he was in retirement not all that long ago. I'm not saying that he's the problem but he's not part of the solution either.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hitch has a history of coming in to his new team, guns ablazing and getting some good results. But usually, his time ends as teams rebel against him and they tune him out. This cycle typically takes 2-3 years in most cases, but in this one, it really went fast. Had the nice little start, where Koski played way above his pay grade, and then things settled back in and ultimately have regressed badly, as bad as I have ever seen them.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Jesus Christmas this dinosaur can't get out of here soon enough.

Those combos look whack but think about it... NOTHING ELSE has worked... Pulju in top 6 = failure, splitting the big 3 C on their own lines = failure, etc.

I'm all in for trying something outside the box but yeah Chia really f***ed this teams depth. Not on Hitch

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
But what would be the point?

If this team flukes into the playoffs based on some short-term motivation, it doesn't address any underlying problems with the roster. It also might serve as confirmation to the idiots in management that the roster is "good enough".

I just don`t know if we will have a chance to make it again for 4-5 years. Might as well go for it, I think this squad could win it all if we make it to the wildcard spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad