Tmac vs Hitch (what is Hitch doing different than Tmac)

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I think what makes Hitchcock a great coach is that along with his hockey smarts he's a tremendous leader. He puts in the work to evolve as a coach, not just the x's and o's, but in leadership. He's the only person in the NHL who attends leadership institutes and apparently attends two every offseason. He doesn't view it as a duty, no one is forcing him to do it. He actually loves studying this stuff.

Imo a great example of his leadership is the way he viewed our goaltending. A lot of fans here quickly soured on Talbot, but not Hitchcock. When he arrived, yeah, Talbot was really struggling to get his 100th career win, but what does Hitchcock do? After nearly every game (including tonight's) he talks about our goaltending and says it's a strength of the team, that we have two good goalies. It's no surprise that Talbot has rebounded and Hitchcock was right.

Puljujarvi is another great example. Sure, he hasn't played as well as someone drafted in his position, but it's hard to excel based on the way he was handled. Imagine being Finnish, playing in a new country, and a bubblegum-chewing koala benches your ass even after a good game. Then here comes Hitch, he requests the AHL call-up so that he could take personal responsibility for your development, says that you're a big part of the team. It's a night and day difference. One guy wanted to get rid of you, the other wants to work with you. As I said in a different thread, if Puljujarvi doesn't take the next step forward with Hitch as his coach, I don't think he ever will.

Having someone who is 100% behind you can make a hell of a difference.

And to build on your goaltending point, he's got the players giving both goalies positive reinforcement in the media. Even though Koskinen has been winning games more consistently, they players keep repeating that they have 2 goalies they believe in. Hearing the support from his teammates has got to help Talbot's psyche as well

Reactions: The Batman

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
And to build on your goaltending point, he's got the players giving both goalies positive reinforcement in the media. Even though Koskinen has been winning games more consistently, they players keep repeating that they have 2 goalies they believe in. Hearing the support from his teammates has got to help Talbot's psyche as well

The problem with Talbot was he was goaltending for himself and not the team.

Signed

Todd nothing is my fault Mclellan.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hitchcock today talked about goaltending and how you never want to go more than 8 games without giving your second guy a game. You need a rythm to keep both guys going. Todd would play Talbot till Talbot said no

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think the biggest difference I've noticed under Hitchcock is that we are winning.

#teninchcock

But real though, the way we support the puck is sooo much stronger. We always have atleast two layers of support and guys on the right side of the puck. When you watch us play now we usually have 5 guys in the TV frame, with McLellan we usually only had 3.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Hitch is willing to adapt. Tmac had to big of an ego to adapt.
Sure Hitch has had hot goaltending, but he's been a clear upgrade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hitch is an elite coach, but he's maybe 1 of 2 coaches on the planet that I think could do OK/well with this roster. The other is an Alberta guy himself in Darryl Sutter. Those two play an extremely tight systems game, Hitch gives more freedom offensively, but defensively it's his way or the high way just like Sutter.

I don't think you'd be getting the same results from just any other coach. If it was Gulutzan or something, you'd probably be in trouble. I think even Quennville and Babcock would have some problems with this group, they generally need a bit more talent to do well.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I think the biggest difference I've noticed under Hitchcock is that we are winning.

#teninchcock

But real though, the way we support the puck is sooo much stronger. We always have atleast two layers of support and guys on the right side of the puck. When you watch us play now we usually have 5 guys in the TV frame, with McLellan we usually only had 3.

Winning games.
Winning Coach's Challenges.
Team scoring the first goal (or 3, and chasing the Tendy).
Being positive... near joyful.
Having the local media in his back pocket.

space321

May 11, 2011
What are Hitch and Tmac doing the same? I said at the time of Hitchcock's hiring that nothing will change after the honeymoon period wears off.

Why does Lucic, Kassian, and these other useless bums not getting healthy scratched? I think by game 6 or 7 I started talking about how useless Lucic and Strome were and wanted them scratched. We're halfway into the season and not only has Lucic played every single f***ing game, Chiarelli added more useless garbage in Spooner. Seriously, 20 games in with Hitchcock and that stupid identity line is still playing every f***ing game. Bring in any random scrub for league minimum and they'll be better than 27, 44, 28, 23 just on the merit that they'll be playing for a livelihood.

Also, line blending every game. That is the symptom of the roster lacking in talent. Coaches just throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. Brutal, but not the coaches fault, I hope people finally realize that.

Injuries? Jets didn't have Byfuglien tonight but they have depth.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A few days ago there was an article about Puljujarvi and as I haven't seen it anywhere I'll make a quick translation. As I've said I'm staying out of actual conversations, but maybe I can bring my part by translating some articles once in a while. I have just a few minutes right now so I won't translate the whole article, just Pulju's lines (sorry for possible typing errors/free translations):

- About McLellan: He didn't really communicate with players. The assistant coaches did that more. There are different kinds of coaches, that was his style.

- One needs to remember I don't have that much experience about different coaches. The current one is the 3rd or 4th during my professional career.

- About Hitchcock: We've had a couple of personal meetings. He has told clearly what he wants from me. He wants me to be active and to bring a lot of skating to the team. And I need to use my body. We've had good talks.

- He wants that all the little details are done well. He does all he can for wins.

- The change of the coach was a good thing for myself, Hitchcock immediately wanted me up to play.

Then another article from the same day (after Chia was fired):

- I have to admit things are a bit messed here. Things aren't in the very best possible way, but within the team we've talked that we have our job and things will turn.

- About things happening in the organization and nasty media articles: They don't affect the way I feel and what I do. There are a lot of games, we've played every 2nd night in January. I push all out of myself every night, that's my job.

- About trade rumours/suggestions that Puljujarvi may be used in a trade because of the current situation: I don't think about those things. I just try to play day at a time as well as I can. But this is tough business, you never know what happens.

- About the 10 days off: I came to visit a friend in Denver. We have 7-8 days off from the team's training. I'm training by myself so I'll be ready when we get back to team practises.

- My goal is the same as before. I want to play good hockey and increase my role in the team.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
JONES: Hitch says expect changes in personnel, style, mindset of Oilers

Hitchcock spent the break coming up with a way to have the Oilers play and said he went outside the org to survey and get opinions from those he knows and trusts on how to get the Oilers going. They practise for the first time tomorrow night at 6 then again Friday before taking off for Philly.

We will see what he has in store.

Reactions: McD97 and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hitch is way better with the media.

I agree. He is also better with the fans...he knows how to speak to Oiler fans.

Here is an excerpt from the article @McFuhryous posted.....

“My whole focus right now is the Edmonton Oilers. I know I haven’t been here a long time but I’m feeling everybody’s angst over the last 12 or 13 years and that’s my sole focus.”

I dont want to speak for anyone else but it seems to me that it is critical for Hitch to approach this in the way that he did and acknowledge the last 10+ years. He wasn't even remotely connected to it but its the elephant in the room and as such it deserves to be acknowledged.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What are Hitch and Tmac doing the same? I said at the time of Hitchcock's hiring that nothing will change after the honeymoon period wears off.

Why does Lucic, Kassian, and these other useless bums not getting healthy scratched? I think by game 6 or 7 I started talking about how useless Lucic and Strome were and wanted them scratched. We're halfway into the season and not only has Lucic played every single ****ing game, Chiarelli added more useless garbage in Spooner. Seriously, 20 games in with Hitchcock and that stupid identity line is still playing every ****ing game. Bring in any random scrub for league minimum and they'll be better than 27, 44, 28, 23 just on the merit that they'll be playing for a livelihood.

Also, line blending every game. That is the symptom of the roster lacking in talent. Coaches just throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks. Brutal, but not the coaches fault, I hope people finally realize that.

Injuries? Jets didn't have Byfuglien tonight but they have depth.

Lucic and Kassian sit 3rd and 4th in scoring amongst our wingers. The reason they’re not scratched is our wingers are so pathetic that we can’t afford to scratch them no matter how bad they play. It’s not Hitch’s fault our wingers are so brutal

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
JONES: Hitch says expect changes in personnel, style, mindset of Oilers

Hitchcock spent the break coming up with a way to have the Oilers play and said he went outside the org to survey and get opinions from those he knows and trusts on how to get the Oilers going. They practise for the first time tomorrow night at 6 then again Friday before taking off for Philly.

We will see what he has in store.
Wait a minute. Wasn't one of the first things to come out of Hitchcock's mouth the day he was hired, was that he knew what was wrong with the Oilers and how to fix it? Now, 3 months later, he's seeking help outside the org? Sounds like Bob Nickelson speaking out of his ass. Doesn't have a clue how to fix this mess.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree. He is also better with the fans...he knows how to speak to Oiler fans.

Here is an excerpt from the article @McFuhryous posted.....

I dont want to speak for anyone else but it seems to me that it is critical for Hitch to approach this in the way that he did and acknowledge the last 10+ years. He wasn't even remotely connected to it but its the elephant in the room and as such it deserves to be acknowledged.
My comment was tongue in cheek, sorry it came off as serious. It's correct, but really has no bearing on his job. It's about results, and we are arguably playing worse now than before he was hired, personnel aside.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My comment was tongue in cheek, sorry it came off as serious. It's correct, but really has no bearing on his job. It's about results, and we are arguably playing worse now than before he was hired, personnel aside.

Oh for sure.
I haven't been overjoyed with everything Hitch has done (some things have really bugged me) but at the end of the day he wont be able to turn a junk yard roster into a Mercedes.
The roster is what it is and it isnt great.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Hitchcock seemed to be a big help at first but this team is just unmotivated, not talented and lazy. It's like Chia went out of his way to put the most useless, inept piles of human shit on one team, and then give them big contracts.

Reactions: McBeastMode

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The strength of our team is at center so I understand what he's doing. It's the only way to role 4 lines and reduce Mcdavid's ice time by a couple minutes per game. We all know that by the 10 minute mark of the 1st period we'll see Draisaitl with Mcdavid and we'll be back to rolling only 3 lines.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly, I don't blame him. We have terrible wingers. At the moment he is throwing **** against the wall and hoping to find a golden nugget.
He's not even waiting long enough for it to slide down.

It's a terrible strategy to simply blend continuously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad